Hillsborough 1954

The Queen was crowned in 1953, the same year Sir Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tensing reached the summit of Mount Everest, and Sir Stanley Matthews' Blackpool won the FA Cup. Not a lot of people know that.

What was supposed to happen though was that the Queen was going to climb Mount Everest with Prince Phillip, to prove her strength as a lady monarch, in trying times following the end of the Second World War, Hillary and Tensing were to be special guests at the FA Cup Final, and Sir Stanley Matthews was to visit Hillsborough and sign for Wednesday.

It was all covered by HITC on August 27th 2010.

We called the Matthews deal off after he asked for two weeks off in Bognor Regis before starting and a sixpence appearance bonus for every appearance beyond 50 games.

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

The Queen was crowned in 1953, the same year Sir Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tensing reached the summit of Mount Everest, and Sir Stanley Matthews' Blackpool won the FA Cup. Not a lot of people know that.

What was supposed to happen though was that the Queen was going to climb Mount Everest with Prince Phillip, to prove her strength as a lady monarch, in trying times following the end of the Second World War, Hillary and Tensing were to be special guests at the FA Cup Final, and Sir Stanley Matthews was to visit Hillsborough and sign for Wednesday.

It was all covered by HITC on August 27th 2010.

We called the Matthews deal off after he asked for two weeks off in Bognor Regis before starting and a sixpence appearance bonus for every appearance beyond 50 games.

I do it was the year I was born lol 

1 minute ago, daveyboy66 said:

I do it was the year I was born lol 

See, I knew it was an important year Davey. Good news is you can get that 5 season ticket offer as a 65 year old and not be put off by any pro-rata calculations. You also get a wooden rattle and a rosette saying Play Up Wednesday for free. It'll be just like old times for you. lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pgmetcalf said:

Just seen this on the Pictures of Sheffield Old and New FB group. Credit unknown.  "The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh visit Hillsborough in October 1954. Over 3000 children formed a welcome display on the pitch."

1954.jpg

My mother is in the M of welcome 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

See, I knew it was an important year Davey. Good news is you can get that 5 season ticket offer as a 65 year old and not be put off by any pro-rata calculations. You also get a wooden rattle and a rosette saying Play Up Wednesday for free. It'll be just like old times for youlol

No it won't I can't squeeze under the turnstiles and I'm too big to get lifted over lol 

• Haha 1