Club 1867 Launch

Seems we all need to face up to an embargo now, which will likely be for the summer and next January windows.

Maybe just remains to be seen what kind of restrictions they’ll place on recruiting free transfers to replace all the out of contract players ie what the maximum squad size will be, how much can we pay people, when does an u23 player count towards the squad (with that in mind probably best restrict first team opportunities to Thorniley, Penney and Baker et al now so any others stay below whatever the appearance threashold might be).

In that situation we can forget about promotion or the play offs. Avoiding relegation will be all we can hope for, mid table at best if we are well organised. At least we’ll have a good man in Bruce for this situation, if he sticks around.

Buckle up and manage your expectations.

Looking at the rules on that Mike Thornton blog...

Looks like we’ll certainly fail Test 1 and Test 2, and without selling any players to meet whatever the £10m+ shortfall is by 1st March, we’ll fail Test 3.

This means that the league CAN impose a strict budget for signings in terms of fees/wages or they can put us under embargo. However there seems to be some ambiguity with the word can and obviously don’t know what the actual rules say (if the FL have even bothered to write them down).

If/when we fail Test 3 is there still scope to convince the league that we’ll be below FFP for the next two years, greatly helped by out of contract players and a player sale or two which might then not necessarily have to happen before March? I don’t know.

https://www.mikethornton.xyz/new-ffp-tests/

16 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

I know I haven’t got an answer yet, but surely someone knows.

If we clear these ffp problems for the time Being, are we limited to what Chansiri can spend or is it a free for all?

btw I would rather us spend nothing regardless of if it clears as we need to run the club efficiently even if on the field suffers for a while. 

The main aid reason I’m asking is this, surely if we clear ffp rules with selling let’s say reach , bannan and FF or lees etc I know we are losing our best players but if he’s allowed to splash his cash surely he would be selling them making sure we are clear then going on a spending spree for better players???? I know we rate these players but I’m sure if he’s got the cash some are talking about it won’t be a problem replacing them once we are clear????????

I think it depends. 

If we fully clear FFP, which seems unlikely but perhaps possible, we could then spend what we liked. Although this would likely leave us in the same situation this time next year, or worse. If we partially clear it then we’ll probably have a budget imposed on us - so we can only sign a certain number of players with a limit on maximum wage.

Read that blog, it’s good.

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

I think it depends. 

If we fully clear FFP, which seems unlikely but perhaps possible, we could then spend what we liked. Although this would likely leave us in the same situation this time next year, or worse. If we partially clear it then we’ll probably have a budget imposed on us - so we can only sign a certain number of players with a limit on maximum wage.

Read that blog, it’s good. 

This is the sort of thinking the chairman should be doing and working through with the league.
He could be clear to us about his strategy (even if not the details - especially since it will involve selling assets) and build some trust back in the fans that he is in control of the situation.
Rather than gimmicks like this scheme to cover mistakes he's already made, with no chance of the club progressing, and for the same problem to come back again next year anyway.

Its not knee jerk hare brained schemes we need at the minute.

D C is still seemingly chasing a dream that has little to do with the reality of the situation.   I honestly in some ways admire his optimism, but its now bordering on the ludicrous.

The majority of Owls fans either can't afford these schemes, or simply won't waste the extra cash they do have ON these schemes.

You see by posts on here, twitter, talk to the fans around you...I honestly don't know a one around me who will or can fork out this sort of cash for football!!!

The future fanbase is threatened by this, the only thing that will bring a larger fanbase, the start of a bigger fanbase, is, sadly, The Premier league...Its not on the horizon for a long while...We missed the boat...close ..but no f.ookin' coconut...Now its harder.

POTG?..attracts no-one...even when the prices are cut for one off matches...because the spectre of £49 is overshadowing all that...cos thats what gets reported..its what gets talked about...Its an extreme I admit...but thats what makes the news and if it makes the news, in a lot of minds it becomes fact.

We surely now, HAVE to sell players, the fans have reached the limit, you can't simply wring the fans out, because should it all go totally t *ts up, you are going to need them.

Im my honest opinion, all DC had to do was say...

"Listen...I went for it for the first 2 seasons before FFP...I nearly made it...sadly we failed...."

I'm fine with that...I enjoyed the trip, I enjoyed Hillsborough bouncing...I enjoyed going to Wembley...Wednesday fans are used to near misses, We are used to having to take disappointment on the chin...The club is built on those bricks.

What you don't do, is dismantle those bricks with totally unnappreciative , ridiculous price hikes...You can't whitter on of a "Wednesdy family"...as you price yer Uncles, Aunts nieces an' nephews out of it...Its an inch offa stupid!

DC places a lot of stock in keeping "Players" in The Wednesday family...but seems to watch the leakage of the major bloodstream, disappear down a drain on Penistone.

Its short sighted, its bordering on megalomania...but most of all...Its f.ookin' stupid!

• Thanks 1

Apart from the general crappiness of the scheme - the worst part is the confusion.

The number of fans I have spoken to that don't realise its a Membership Scheme (they think the scheme is buying Season Tickets, real ones that is, not fictional La-La-Land ones), and cannot quite believe that for your hard earned you gain an entry in a book, and a promise of a 'free' Premier League Season Ticket that you have already bought, possibly decades in advance.

2 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Apart from the general crappiness of the scheme - the worst part is the confusion.

The number of fans I have spoken to that don't realise its a Membership Scheme (they think the scheme is buying Season Tickets, real ones that is, not fictional La-La-Land ones), and cannot quite believe that for your hard earned you gain an entry in a book, and a promise of a 'free' Premier League Season Ticket that you have already bought, possibly decades in advance.

I'm not confused about it.....Its simply asking folk for money they haven't got, to spend on something thats hardly likely  going to happen...I mean what hard about simply laughing and saying "Do give over"

Whats worrying is the fact that its stupid, its a braindead idea...and Its what Wednesday have come up with!

We PAY folk to come up with this???...This IS the think tank???......THATS f.ookin' worrying.

Its as though DC has said...."I'm not selling players...what are the options...?"

It shows that really there is NO other viable option, because this is the result ...and it simply doesn't work!

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

I'm not confused about it.....Its simply asking folk for money they haven't got, to spend on something thats hardly likely  going to happen...I mean what hard about simply laughing and saying "Do give over"

Whats worrying is the fact that its stupid, its a braindead idea...and Its what Wednesday have come up with!

We PAY folk to come up with this???...This IS the think tank???......THATS f.ookin' worrying.

Its as though DC has said...."I'm not selling players...what are the options...?"

It shows that really there is NO other viable option, because this is the result ...and it simply doesn't work!

You might not be confused by it, but there are plenty of supporters who are.

I have spoken to a fair few of them over the last couple of days, and they think it is just another multi-year Season Ticket promotion, not that you pay up front in the event of reaching the Promised Land, and that you still pay for your ST's until you get there.....

2 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

You might not be confused by it, but there are plenty of supporters who are.

I have spoken to a fair few of them over the last couple of days, and they think it is just another multi-year Season Ticket promotion, not that you pay up front in the event of reaching the Promised Land, and that you still pay for your ST's until you get there.....

No doubt they will get less confused at the ticket office or when they check their bank balance mate

Just now, royalowlisback said:

Can you imagine being one of the poor Ticket Office staff, having to try and promote/sell/explain this scheme to Joe Bloggs?

Dear god.

Ticket office staff "Good morning Sir, thanks for buying your season ticket on the Kop and your 1867 membership..that will be £910 please"

Fan..."Errr. I just bought the one season ticket season ticket Madame"

Ticket office "AND..the 1867 membership"

Fan.."Thats correct the 1867 membership season ticket"

Ticket office staff "Exactly ...I understand...."

Fan "Ohh thank God ...For a minute I thought....

Ticket office staff..."That will be £910 please sir"

Fan.."Are we having 2 seasons at once in 2019/20?..playing Saturday Monday/Thursday Saturday?"

Ticket Office staff.."No sir...this is just for the next season"

Fan "Two season tickets though??"

Ticket office " Two season tickets???"

Fan "Yes"

Ticket office staff "Right sir.,...That will be £1365 please"

Fan..."What in the name of f.ookery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Ticket office staff "Good morning Sir, thanks for buying your season ticket on the Kop and your 1867 membership..that will be £910 please"

Fan..."Errr. I just bought the one season ticket season ticket Madame"

Ticket office "AND..the 1867 membership"

Fan.."Thats correct the 1867 membership season ticket"

Ticket office staff "Exactly ...I understand...."

Fan "Ohh thank God ...For a minute I thought....

Ticket office staff..."That will be £910 please sir"

Fan.."Are we having 2 seasons at once in 2019/20?..playing Saturday Monday/Thursday Saturday?"

Ticket Office staff.."No sir...this is just for the next season"

Fan "Two season tickets though??"

Ticket office " Two season tickets???"

Fan "Yes"

Ticket office staff "Right sir.,...That will be £1365 please"

Fan..."What in the name of f.ookery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once they've had a bit of training, they'll be able to push the "discount"
"Because of your 5% discount, taking off ~£20 from the full ST price, your total is only £910".

1 hour ago, Mountain Owl said:

I think by now he should be getting the message this is not going to work. Forget these hair brained schemes DC and do what other clubs do by whealing and dealing some players. 

This is so obvious to everyone apart from Chansiri it seems. Why he thinks we are different is beyond me. His stockpiling of players and refusal to sell any is what  got us in this mess in the first place. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sonny said:

1 hour ago, 2roland2 said:

Cheers sonny, do you have a link to it? I haven’t seen it.

i guess the thing is if we get past this sanction or not I’m hoping we are sensible and don’t go spending like fools again. I can honestly see us somehow scraping through these sanctions and us going Bat poo crazy again which would be beyond disastrous. 

An embargo might not be the worst thing in the world for us right now, it might make us concentrate on running the club revenue streams more intelligently. Or at least I would hope it would make us do that. 

There you go mate.

There are so many things about this scheme that are hugely concerning. 

We have clearly learnt nothing, and are trying to gamble once again. Even with this gamble, they can’t even do it in a professional manner, causing lots of confusion. If this were to have any of the success they were hoping for, it at least needed to be easy to understand.

Worst of all, I think it shows a lack of respect for the fans. We deserve better than this.

It’s more like something I would expect from someone trying to scam me.

Personally I would much rather we sold any players worth reasonable value and used to money to invest in youth, building a sustainable model for the future.

Instead it seems they’re going all or nothing which will more than likely lead to nothing.

Even if this approach brought in the money needed, what happens if we don’t get promoted within 2 years? 

Chansiri, thank you for all you have done but you are so far out of your depth. We want a club built with solid foundations that doesn’t gamble on having to get promoted, then when that goes wrong, putting it all back on the fans.