Club 1867 Launch

19 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I wonder what the club’s target is before they pull the plug on the scheme? I believe the FAQs state if there is not enough uptake the whole scheme is cancelled?

There has been some really knowledgeable and informed comment in this thread and it’s been an interesting catch up after being at work all day. 

With each scheme like this I feel more and more disconnected from the club. My loyalty and passion is being replaced with apathy and embarrassment. 

The whole enterprise is being made so much more complicated than it needs to be. 

I have a few theories as to why we aren’t selling players.  The fact we aren’t doing so when it’s the easiest way out of this mess is just bizarre. 

Please do share, as I'm stumped. 

Part of me thinks we are/have been a place for players to be parked for a year or two in order to do someone's mate a favour. 

Edited by SiJ

36 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

The only accountant that could support this scheme would be the accountant being paid to come up with the scheme... it is a sham. 

this madcap scheme will be nothing to do with external accountants

any internal accountants will follow the leader

and this scheme is the brain child of our child without a brain

Well I think you should all go for it.

5 year plans on South. Absolutely everyone of you. Just not me. 

Fire us into the Premier League boys and girls.

When you get your free premier league season tickets, I might offer you a fiver, if you can't make a game.

lol

Edited by bigash_swfc

It’s nice to publish the names of people with more money than sense in a book, long thought this was a good idea. 

In my opinion, I cannot for the life of me understand why a few low cost items are not thrown in, for instance a free shirt for the 5 year option, free food at the game or something to add value in real money but not harm the profit margins to much. 

Those fans with money, who would support the club getting some value back while enjoying discounts on season tickets etc would I think go for it with just a little more encouragement. It’s simply not enough to beg. 

Secondly, it’s blindingly obvious that selling a player or two is the best, quickest and most sensible option of raising funds, then look at other revenues like advertising and then go to the fans with schemes (if you must) to raise more if required. It’s a bit arse about face if you ask me. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mkowl said:

BHP based in Sheffield, just off Glossop Road

They were the auditors under MM as well so since he took over.

I would never question another firm of accountants and their interpretation of accounting standards. If nothing else they have the information to hand unlike me. I can only assess this stuff on a generic level

I see - perhaps not a legal requirement for auditor rotation depending on how you interpret the rules - but this length of time could, perhaps, be questionable?

There is absolutely no mud slinging here - and there is no doubt all parties are acting in honourable fashion with professional standards upheld. Best intentions I’m sure. 

Best practice would be to change auditors on purchase of a business to mitigate risk and ensure everything is in tip top condition. 

On 22/01/2019 at 15:20, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Jesus that's mental.

That could be the thing to turn people towards it. Be very hard to pick up away prem tickets if that's the case.

What's mental is that people, fans who've seen how weve played for the last 2 years would even think promotion is a possibility, before parting with their hard earned.

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Please do share, as I'm stumped. 

Part of me thinks we are/have been a place for players to be parked for a year or two in order to do someone's mate a favour. 

The same thought has crossed my mind. 

7 hours ago, owlsup said:

I see - perhaps not a legal requirement for auditor rotation depending on how you interpret the rules - but this length of time could, perhaps, be questionable?

There is absolutely no mud slinging here - and there is no doubt all parties are acting in honourable fashion with professional standards upheld. Best intentions I’m sure. 

Best practice would be to change auditors on purchase of a business to mitigate risk and ensure everything is in tip top condition. 

It normally naturally happens. I would be the auditor, my client sells out, the new owners will have their preferred choice of advisors, I leave the appointment. Though saying that last time it happened I stayed on for a year as the new owners tapped my knowledge - Well I knew more than them !

11 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

I know this is a tiny thing in the grand scheme of things and I am just an insignificant fan, but:

As a student new in Sheffield I loved the £9 tickets that were offered through the union to see about 50% of home games. Then they increased the price from one season to the next to £15. Straight away that's me priced out of going and I have to pretty much half my attendance frequency. I understand that it mirrors the POTG price increase we see for the normal Sheffield folk, but it's still a lot. 

Then we get to last year and the introduction of iFollow, and it gave me the opportunity (via a VPN) to spend some cash and watch games again. Fast forward to this season, price has doubled and VPNs are pretty much universally blocked (outside of their control, totally get that I was being a very naughty boy etc so very few qualms about that).

But my point is, is that now I'm earning money in a full time job and I have expendable income, I have zero motivation to spend a penny of it on this club. I was treated with relative contempt as a student by the 60% price increase. I've seen fans treated with cash-cow contempt POTG prices. We get two hair-brained schemes per year which are designed to have people pump in quite frankly f*cking disgusting amounts of money and have all the design finesse of being constructed by a 12 year old. There's just no incentive for someone like me, a proper casual fan who would have been very happy to be sucked in by Wednesday and become a season ticket holder, to make that step to start attending games again even semi-regularly. 

And I know it matters not one jot in the wider scheme of things, but I think it's endemic of the wider issue we've got going at Wednesday. And now that I (rightly or wrongly) perceive Wednesday to be like this, it's going to take a heck of a lot to entice me to start going again. And I'd imagine that's a view echoed amongst a lot of Sheffielders that aren't too fussed about going but would like to in an ideal world. 

Am guessing you found the cash and motivation to go to Wembley and probably secretly have the motivation to go Sunday .. but probably are not ...

The inclusion of TPP in the deal makes me push a little bit of poo out every time I think about it. That 1 aspect is wrong in so many ways. Given the current nature of the TPP scheme, the loyalty of our travelling support, and demand, there should be no attachment to this scheme. UTO.

Guest Bulgaria
16 minutes ago, dowls said:

Am guessing you found the cash and motivation to go to Wembley and probably secretly have the motivation to go Sunday .. but probably are not ...

Pathetic argument.

Meanwhile, tickets for the coming home games against Reading and Swansea are £33 minimum POTG. 

Put the prices down, more folk will come and spend more money, and (who knows) maybe even give the team more support. 

Then sell a player and pack it in with crazy schemes like this

Edited by BigBlueDan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dowls said:

Firstly: classy reply

Secondly: I wanted to go to Wembley but literally had a Saturday morning exam (because that's a thing)

Thirdly: My first season of watching Wednesday was the one where Dave Jones was in charge and we finished something like 17th or 18th that season. So your extraordinarily subtle and nuanced insinuation that I'm a glory-hunter holds about as much wateras your brain holds cells.

Edited by StudentOwl

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Firstly: classy reply

Secondly: I wanted to go to Wembley but literally had a Saturday morning exam (because that's a thing)

Thirdly: My first season of watching Wednesday was the one where Dave Jones was in charge and we finished something like 17th or 18th that season. So your extraordinarily subtle and nuanced insinuation that I'm a glory-hunter holds about as much wateras your brain holds cells.

Your motivation as a causal fan seems to allow you  criticise a scheme which is not aimed at you ... and your bitterness results from £6 increase in student ticket prices - -about 3 pints in the student union bar.

I know of students who make the effort from further afield and go regular home and away. 

Fair do’s do for not going Wembley but as it was a 5 kick off not sure a morning exam prevents travel.

8 minutes ago, dowls said:

Your motivation as a causal fan seems to allow you  criticise a scheme which is not aimed at you ... and your bitterness results from £6 increase in student ticket prices - -about 3 pints in the student union bar.

I know of students who make the effort from further afield and go regular home and away. 

Fair do’s do for not going Wembley but as it was a 5 kick off not sure a morning exam prevents travel.

My "bitterness" stems from the culmination of contempt that fans have been treated with... I've made previous posts on the student ticket prices where I've been critical but far from bitter. And another way of considering the £6 is a week's worth of lunches. I only really went out drinking once a fortnight or so.

If you know students who make more of an effort... good for them and good for you, but I don't really see its relevance? I'm not claiming to be representative of an entire demographic. I am what I am, someone still new to Sheffield. If these students you know grew up in South Yorkshire, I don't think it's comparable. 

And finally... truthfully it may have been an afternoon exam, I genuinely can't recall. All I remember is checking train times about 8 times and coming to the conclusion that the earliest I'd rock up is half time, and that flights out of Leeds Bradford or Manchester weren't leaving at the right times to get me there. Lord knows why I'm feeling the need to explain myself to you though.

• Thanks 1

I'm sure if they had gone down a regular crowd funding model where they offer multi-tier options from a tenner upwards (with options for whatever this is for a higher rate) they would make more money. Going to the football is still relatively working class and people just done have £500+ to gamble on something like this. Although, if they had options for stuff like a stadium tour, signed merch, meet your fave player etc at realistic rates then im sure they would rake it in

19 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

My "bitterness" stems from the culmination of contempt that fans have been treated with... I've made previous posts on the student ticket prices where I've been critical but far from bitter. And another way of considering the £6 is a week's worth of lunches. I only really went out drinking once a fortnight or so.

If you know students who make more of an effort... good for them and good for you, but I don't really see its relevance? I'm not claiming to be representative of an entire demographic. I am what I am, someone still new to Sheffield. If these students you know grew up in South Yorkshire, I don't think it's comparable. 

And finally... truthfully it may have been an afternoon exam, I genuinely can't recall. All I remember is checking train times about 8 times and coming to the conclusion that the earliest I'd rock up is half time, and that flights out of Leeds Bradford or Manchester weren't leaving at the right times to get me there. Lord knows why I'm feeling the need to explain myself to you though.

Listen no problem with active choices or voiced opinions but wanted you to acknowledge this scheme is a choice.. and it’s target audience is not you nor anyone struggling financially. People who enter it do so with free will.