Give me...

2 hours ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

No, but I am saying we can generate a perfectly good atmosphere despite our stadium being a bit cronky.

Never a problem with the atmosphere/sound retention even before the Kop was covered.

All it’s ever needed was attacking football and goals ........at the right end.

3 hours ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

No, but I am saying we can generate a perfectly good atmosphere despite our stadium being a bit cronky.

I love Hillsborough and would not be one of these advocating a move, even though I can see the point of some of those who do advocate leaving.

However the acoustics just are all wrong and where the fans are vociferous, a lot of the time this is lost because our ground leaks sound.      As people say, it takes a lot to get the ground rocking and it always has done.

I don't know if Hillsborough will be our home 20 years from now, but if it is and it's rebuilt stand by stand I would hope any architect has two remits.    1) Keep Hillborough, Hillsborough.    2) Have some thought for bouncing the sound around the ground and not losing it upwards out of the ground or via gaping holes in the corners.

Obviously, i'd hope if Hillsborough ever had a rebuild on the Leppings lane end, there would be standing set aside for 96 in a permanent memorial, never to be used by anyone.  

Edited by Salmonbones

4 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

I love Hillsborough and would not be one of these advocating a move, even though I can see the point of some of those who do advocate leaving.

However the acoustics just are all wrong and where the fans are vociferous, a lot of the time this is lost because our ground leaks sound.      As people say, it takes a lot to get the ground rocking and it always has done.

I don't know if Hillsborough will be our home 20 years from now, but if it is and it's rebuilt stand by stand I would hope any architect has two remits.    1) Keep Hillborough, Hillsborough.    2) Have some thought for bouncing the sound around the ground and not losing it upwards out of the ground or via gaping holes in the corners.

Obviously, i'd hope if Hillsborough ever had a rebuild on the Leppings lane end, there would be standing set aside for 96 in a permanent memorial, never to be used by anyone.  

I do get your points and yes modern grounds are probably scientifically better at retaining noise.

We may leak a few decibels by comparison, but not noticeably when we are properly up for it.

What Hillsborough does have, despite needing some serious maintenance, is bags of character that fans of many other clubs envy.

It harks to footballing years gone by, old fashioned traditions and history - I would hate to end up with a sterile anonymous ground a lá Hull city, Stadium of light, Reebok, Middlesborough etc - all devoid of personality or character IMHO.

Much rather have a Craven Cottage, Villa Park or Goodison any day.

Hillsborough is like a classic car just needs some renovation.