Ref & South Stand Linesman

5 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Hardly the refs fault, Grigg came back on the pitch without permission. 

So is the correct decision for him to stop play, take it back to restart from a previous infringement, giving Wigan possession at restart, and then immediately give Grigg permission to come on...or would the correct decision have been to stop play, deal with/punish Grigg's new infringement and restart play with Wednesday in possession? i.e how can a Wigan player breaking the rules, while the ball is in play, result in Wigan having the restart as a result?

Same as the other week when some were complaining about the ref, I don’t think he was that bad yesterday. 

No referee can get every decision right. 

I was on Kop for the Reach penalty claim so didn’t have the best view but Reach didn’t even claim for a penalty which suggests the ref got it right. 

The fouls on Hutch were fouls. Don’t want to see Yellows for slightly mistimed tackles. We’d be going crazy if Hutch had been booked for something similar. 

So, it's finally come to this. A Referee is judged by the number of cards he gives out! The best games I have seen  have few yellows. The occasional admonition by the Ref butplay allowed to continue. A Good Ref does not need to be brandishing his yellow card all the time. To me, an abundance of yellow cards usually shows that the Ref has lost control of the game. I well remember the time before cards, when the Ref actually BOOKED players, and this happened infrequently. The current game, with its constant stop and start to card players not only shows the standards of Refereeing has gone down, but so has the standard of conduct of the players. 

20 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Same as the other week when some were complaining about the ref, I don’t think he was that bad yesterday. 

No referee can get every decision right. 

I was on Kop for the Reach penalty claim so didn’t have the best view but Reach didn’t even claim for a penalty which suggests the ref got it right. 

The fouls on Hutch were fouls. Don’t want to see Yellows for slightly mistimed tackles. We’d be going crazy if Hutch had been booked for something similar. 

Agreed.

Hutch did do something similar. He didn’t get booked either.

Nice to see a ref keeping his cards in his pocket, imo. Usually makes for a better game 

Edited by sibon

2 hours ago, alanharper said:

I don't think it was a penalty on Reach in the first half, he miscontrolled it and the defender got a touch on the ball. I'd like to see the handball in the first half again though when Fletcher's shot was blocked, their player looked to put both hands up.

Hutch would definitely have been carded if he'd made the thigh high challenge that went unpunished against him. 

The Reach one was a great tackle had a perfect view of it from the north 

If tackles like that one are going to be called and pens given then we may as well give up on Football

3 hours ago, Jowl said:

I didn't hear any boos at all from the Kop.

I think I must have blanked the handball out - I do vaguely remember some shouts a few times.

But despite you view that the ref was awful, there's been no thread until today and no clamour from the Owlstalk meltdown crew. FACT

See the reactions to my first comment on this thread...

Edited by MysticOwl

I thought the referee was far too lenient on some of the tackles coming in from the Wigan players, there should have been 3 Wigan players cautioned in the first half, and a couple more second half, the Wigan player that got booked first should have been cautioned twice before he actually got cautioned. And i’d Like to see the tackle on Bannan again, because from where I was sat it looked like a lunge with both feet off the ground and could easily have been red.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I don’t think any of the officials had a bad game yesterday. 

I recall a challenge on Reach in the first half. He was through on goal before being take down by a defender. 

It was an incredible challenge where by he legitimately got the ball against the odds. 

No penalty. And rightly so. The the Kop burst into a rendition of ‘We only get poo refs’. 

It’s all about perspective. I personally didn’t feel as though there were many decisions that I could disagree with. 

4 hours ago, oldishowl said:

The problem is that they tend not to show yellow cards early in games because it means they could probably end up sending somebody off.

There were two or three challenges on Hutch in the first 30 minutes that would have got yellows second half.

You can get away with all sorts first 30

Don't get this, why are they so against sending players off? Not like it matters to them on bit, if a foul is worthy of a yellow then give it.

• Like 1

They would say they do all they can to keep 11 on the pitch.

If they book players early then they get themselves into the position like when we played Derby.

The ref booked the big centre back early, he then committed another bad foul on Lees but the ref just gave a foul when it should have been another yellow. He then gave another foul against him and then he fouled Matias on the edge of the box . Because he would have had to send him off he didn’t even give the foul.

Lampard subbed him at halftime to save the ref further embarrassment. The whole episode was a joke 

5 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

He was pretty poor.  Didn't let the game flow and spent aaaaaages fannying around at every free kick.  Should have booked Garner about 14 times.  Every one of their fouls was a foot left in on our players, should have been cut out early on.  He missed 2 hand balls in the box, along with another couple outside.  Missed all the shenanigans off the ball from Wigan, kicks and trips after the play had finished or just blocking runs off the ball.

His marking out of the 10 yards with his spray was comical though.

Saved me typing it out !   Wigan weren't another PNE but were niggly all the game.

2 hours ago, MysticOwl said:

See the reactions to my first comment on this thread...

You haven't been on Owlstalk long have you - as if anyone has any idea around here :D

Maybe I've seen so many utterly poo refs at Hillsborough that this one approached competent

Peter Bankes is a poor referee, yesterday he was terrible for both sides. Missed obvious fouls, gave fouls for nothing. I'd say we were on the fortunate side of if in the 2nd half but the 1st half he was giving everything to Wigan. He seems to not be able to control games for me, seen him in games not involving Wednesday and he's exactly the same.

Linesman was awful, three blatant throw ins that were given to Wigan after their player had put it out.

8 hours ago, eckington owl said:

Couple of definite handballs and those 2 “challenges” on Hutchinson in the first half stand out for me. 

This. Both of those could have been straight reds. Two blatant handballs in the box and possible pen onnreach. Allowed so much time wasting ( though he did add on 11 mins extra time) and what was that about after 15 mins when he stopped the game to have a chat with the bench?

Thought he was garbage. 

Don't think he was as bad as some are making out... but he was poor

Wigan came for the draw and were time wasting from the off and he didn't do anything. Then when we were 1-0 up he started rushing everything

He allowed the Wigan defence to boss him about as well, that was bizarre, they wouldn't go back from free kicks etc, happened several times