From a Wigan fans forum

I never tire of saying this. I go to Hillsborough to see Wednesday win. Don't care how it's done or what the score is as long as we score more than them. I thought we played comfortably yesterday without really threatening much. Fletcher won every ball so you keep doing it. Pity Joao or Winnall didn't replace Matias earlier (like the 5th minute!) to take advantage of the flick ons.

5 hours ago, agentwalker said:

That was the one main change for me today and it shows that the current management team aren't set in their ways, I was fearing the worst after the Hull game.

Bullen had us winning again using the "long ball" up to fletch then playing from there. Then they changed things in the Hull game to playing out from the back again. Now they've gone back to the more direct option and it looks a million times more effective. Might not look the best but keep sticking with what works I say. 

It's horses for courses - Fletch won nothing against the Hull centre backs all day long so continuing to punt it long to him just meant the ball came back at us quicker.  Wigan centre backs looked shaky from the start giving away some unnecessary fouls early on - so it made perfect sense to put them under pressure.

There’s were few games more infuriating than Millwall away last season for the overplaying at the back. 

I lost count of how many times we played two or three very uncomfortable passes out from the back before, under pressure, clipping a ball aimlessly towards Stobbs and this surrendering possession. 

We just kept doing it and doing it until we were giving the ball away continuously in our own half. Was of no surprise to lose that game. 

I’ll take the long passes for now. Get the ball down in the final third and bodies up in support of Fletcher. 

12 hours ago, eckington owl said:

Was surprised how poor Wigan were after spanking Villa last week. Expected a lot more from them. 

We won at a canter but should have buried them 3/4-0. It was one of those games where I thought we were going to do a ‘Wednesday’ and concede a late equaliser after dominating for the most part. 

How do you score 3 quarters of a goal?

:carlosswfc:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

I never tire of saying this. I go to Hillsborough to see Wednesday win. Don't care how it's done or what the score is as long as we score more than them. I thought we played comfortably yesterday without really threatening much. Fletcher won every ball so you keep doing it. Pity Joao or Winnall didn't replace Matias earlier (like the 5th minute!) to take advantage of the flick ons.

Agree. Noticed Fletch giving Matias a right bo**ocking for not being in the right place for the flick ons. Joao did well, and it will be nice to see Winnall in action.  Just a thought - wonder how Rhodes would go on under this regime?

14 hours ago, Herb said:

There’s were few games more infuriating than Millwall away last season for the overplaying at the back. 

I lost count of how many times we played two or three very uncomfortable passes out from the back before, under pressure, clipping a ball aimlessly towards Stobbs and this surrendering possession. 

We just kept doing it and doing it until we were giving the ball away continuously in our own half. Was of no surprise to lose that game. 

I’ll take the long passes for now. Get the ball down in the final third and bodies up in support of Fletcher. 

sides had 'sussed' our 'style of play' and coco had only the one idea.

I cannot understand why it took 2 seasons to go wrong, when bruce saw it's flaws before Wembley.

19 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

matias is too 'lightweight' for championship football, even if a replacement isn't to be brought in, we should be aiming to 'save' his wage.

On 20 January 2019 at 11:07, thewookieisdown said:

Indeed not: some random person on a Wigan forum. In fairness, I think it's quite easy to do this sort of thing if typing quickly. I'm not wholly sure I agree with the post - it was more mixed than he suggests - but as I say an interesting observation.

How can typing quickly lead to anyone confusing "of" and "have?":huh:

• Like 1

On 20/01/2019 at 10:26, thewookieisdown said:

I thought this an interesting observation:

"Disappointing game, few things to mention on Wednesday first. They used the long ball for the majority of the game. Fletcher was outstanding for them, they used him to drop onto the midfielders to win all of the flick ons. With Boyd rotating into a striker position off the left flank to collect the ball. Even though they should of been exposed on that flank they rotated again with Reach going to the left, Matias staying on the right with Bannan just behind and Hutchinson sitting deeper. Whilst i don't appreciate the long ball, i did have a lot of respect for their rotations during phases of play. They played with 4, sometimes 5 players up against our defenders at times."

Worthy of Lord Snooty.....

Has m’lud been on their forum disguised as a pie?

On 20/01/2019 at 10:37, james o connor said:

Best way, trying to get defenders like lees to play football is stupid . We don’t have the quality to tap it around . Long ball is deffo the best way with this squad 

t

the fact that Jos couldn't see it was staggering 

On 20/01/2019 at 15:02, Not Jon Newsome said:

Love how Carlos gets called coco, we finished 6th and 4th under him ffs. 

CC was all quick fix,were paying the price now for his failure to get us up with his squad,overpaid overaged players,his tactics for the play off semi v hudders cost us the game and quite possibly promotion,when it came to the crunch carlos played it safe and never gambled..........thats why hes a journeyman manager,he had no bottle

On 20/01/2019 at 19:47, stocksyuto said:

In a way I think we might have got lucky with the goal...Because what kind of team plays so far back giving a striker 20 yards of space , he could have nipped home had a cuppa come back and scored, any team would have closed down the moment he got the ball.

Us? 

On 20/01/2019 at 15:44, owlmark said:

Absolutely spot on. Under Carlos and Jos we would have been playing it round at the back until we lost possession and probably lost the match.

Remind me of our finishes and clean sheet record under CC...

Things went South in his final year but to compare him to Luhukay - who was a complete and utter cluster - is just wrong 

• Like 1

Going back to the post I quoted, I thought the interesting point was not long all, but the point about rotations of position and role. Interesting because I confess I didn't quite pick that up on Sat, but in retrospect I think he is right. Possibly one of those points it is easier to notice when sitting behind a goal.

On long ball, the long ball played to no one in particular is always going to have its limitations: and the best football we played on Saturday, in the final half hour, didn't particularly make use of long ball. What we did less of against Wigan compared to Birmingham was the long/longish ball played in down the channels, and certainly in the first half we were less effective for it.

On 20/01/2019 at 10:36, swfcjam said:

Thank god. We don’t have any defenders who are capable of playing out from the back. Shouldn’t of taken this long for someone to notice and change it. 

You can't be allowed to use the word "of" when it should be "have" and expect to get away with it.

I noticed the same in the original post too. What's the world coming to?

On 20/01/2019 at 18:32, 31Dec1966 said:

I never tire of saying this. I go to Hillsborough to see Wednesday win. Don't care how it's done or what the score is as long as we score more than them. I thought we played comfortably yesterday without really threatening much.

If you watch the extended highlights I got the impression we could have won that game 3-4 goals to 1... football is a game of margins, we looked comfortable and in control and had many shots on goal but got only one to show for it and Wigan looked very much under the threat... but it would only have needed that one ball passing just outside our post and the game and result would've looked completely different. And then again it would really have looked comfortable if we'd bagged all those goals. I'm really hoping we will have a match soon where we're on the right side of all those margins and win by a massive victory. But like you said, a win is a win and right now I just want points and us up the table, whether we do it by outplaying the opponents or grind out results, I'm past that point this season.