From a Wigan fans forum

3 hours ago, thewookieisdown said:

I thought this an interesting observation:

"Disappointing game, few things to mention on Wednesday first. They used the long ball for the majority of the game. Fletcher was outstanding for them, they used him to drop onto the midfielders to win all of the flick ons. With Boyd rotating into a striker position off the left flank to collect the ball. Even though they should of been exposed on that flank they rotated again with Reach going to the left, Matias staying on the right with Bannan just behind and Hutchinson sitting deeper. Whilst i don't appreciate the long ball, i did have a lot of respect for their rotations during phases of play. They played with 4, sometimes 5 players up against our defenders at times."

Christ! If that's the standard of their forum I might join and try and learn something.

We'd be blaming Palmer.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

We have stopped playing it from the back in all fairness .Every ball out from Westwood was long .

We have stopped ****ing about with it at the back in all fairness, as their goal is at the other end of the pitch, and we need to kick the ball into them to win, no points for square balls across your own backline.

3 hours ago, swfcjam said:

Thank god. We don’t have any defenders who are capable of playing out from the back. Shouldn’t of taken this long for someone to notice and change it. 

100% 

the 'modern football brigade' will be up in arms wanting us to give the opposition 3 or 4 minutes to regain their defensive positions whilst we drag ourselves forward.

the choice of rolling the ball out to the backs, for them to uncomfortably 'square pass and drag themselves' downfield whilst under pressure from the opposition of being caught on the ball, and eventually (if we're lucky) reach the half way line in around 2 to 3 minutes thus allowing the opposition time to fully organise in defence (and because of their knowledge of the time it will take for wednesday to launch an attack) it allows them the luxury of being able to add numbers to their attack at 'no risk' versus immediate attack. I do wonder which bruce will go for? english championship attacking football? or the shyte coco and jos peddled?

On 16/09/2018 at 09:40, DobbinTheDonkey said:

The whole looking to BB while true, should be utilised in another way.

All teams will be looking to close BB down as quick as possible, if BB plays the right game he can create space by getting the opposites to track him. FF has the same ability.

Jos is correct in saying the other players need to take more responsibility because if they do they should receive the ball in acres of space.

Lastly we are a lot more dangerous when we go direct.

You're welcome Brucey if you want any more advice don't look at my other posts, most of it is bo11ox.

Edited by DobbinTheDonkey

3 hours ago, danblakemore said:

Nowt wrong with playing to our strengths.

Tbf it was very comfortable yesterday

Absolutely spot on. Under Carlos and Jos we would have been playing it round at the back until we lost possession and probably lost the match.

39 minutes ago, dnhc said:

We have stopped ****ing about with it at the back in all fairness, as their goal is at the other end of the pitch, and we need to kick the ball into them to win, no points for square balls across your own backline.

I know I was just pointing this out , think the game is a tad more complex than you have described  though !! Ha 

It was supposed to drag oppo players out of position wasn't it?

Hardly worked lately, it just seemed to give them more time to get organised...It was still a tad annoying  from free kicks midway in their half to out wide...backwards and then across the back 4 several times, but I suppose old habits die hard

There is no easier way of shattering the confidence of your own defenders than by asking them to play across the back and inevitably at some stage give it away in a dangerous position.

We are trying to get confidence into the team so no issue with getting it forward.

Also we need more movement from our attacking players. At least if we play it longer the forwards know it is coming. Under Jos when we messed around across the back the forwards didn’t have a clue when/if the ball was coming so eventually gave up making any runs 

Just play old fashioned ENGLISH football.

Get in the faces of the opposition, don't let them pick their passes, and CHALLENGE for every ball.

And if the players don't want to do that, be cause it means hard work, get rid of them.

Edited by adelphi1867

1 hour ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

I know I was just pointing this out , think the game is a tad more complex than you have described  though !! Ha 

it is, but some make it FAR more difficult, and two things they seem to have in common, is being 'lightweight' and 'understanding modern football'.