From a Wigan fans forum

I thought this an interesting observation:

"Disappointing game, few things to mention on Wednesday first. They used the long ball for the majority of the game. Fletcher was outstanding for them, they used him to drop onto the midfielders to win all of the flick ons. With Boyd rotating into a striker position off the left flank to collect the ball. Even though they should of been exposed on that flank they rotated again with Reach going to the left, Matias staying on the right with Bannan just behind and Hutchinson sitting deeper. Whilst i don't appreciate the long ball, i did have a lot of respect for their rotations during phases of play. They played with 4, sometimes 5 players up against our defenders at times."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

We have stopped playing it from the back in all fairness .Every ball out from Westwood was long .

Thank god. We don’t have any defenders who are capable of playing out from the back. Shouldn’t of taken this long for someone to notice and change it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

We have stopped playing it from the back in all fairness .Every ball out from Westwood was long .

Best way, trying to get defenders like lees to play football is stupid . We don’t have the quality to tap it around . Long ball is deffo the best way with this squad 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, swfcjam said:

Thank god. We don’t have any defenders who are capable of playing out from the back. Shouldn’t of taken this long for someone to notice and change it. 

Tend to agree. Sending it long is less risky, and really, that’s what most fans want to see. 

4 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Smart management, something managers like Big Sam and Warnock would have done too. Keep it simple and organised and be harder to beat. Then try and bring in better players when possible 

Even then we should be keeping it simple. Players are not good enough at this level to try to play like Man City. 

This ‘ooh they play direct football’ stigma is frankly a bit pathetic. Comes from the armchair Premier League fans bored knowing that the same teams will win every year - they have to find a way to make it more interesting so are preoccupied with this sort of nonsense. 

• Like 1

I think we have playes in the middle and up front who are comfortable on the ball - we we don't have the players to play out from the back. I'm happy with that.

Nice to see a well thought out reasonable post from a fan.

5 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Who wrote this crap?

Please tell me it wasn’t a journalist 

Indeed not: some random person on a Wigan forum. In fairness, I think it's quite easy to do this sort of thing if typing quickly. I'm not wholly sure I agree with the post - it was more mixed than he suggests - but as I say an interesting observation.

43 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Smart management, something managers like Big Sam and Warnock would have done too. Keep it simple and organised and be harder to beat. Then try and bring in better players when possible 

Exactly, get the basics right to give you a chance to win games, the style can come later. Though to be fair we played with more style than Wigan so that fan should be looking closer to home.

• Like 1