Wigan Press conference breakdown

5 minutes ago, The Captain said:

What’s the point of Agnew hosting a press conference when his answer about the embargo situation (the only remotely interesting point of discussion that he was asked about; the one issue every Wednesday fan has been worrying about since Chansiri’s statement this week) is “ Dunno, ask Steve and Dejphon”.

Almost like he’s scared giving his thoughts in case he treads on someone’s toes.

Odd.

Better that than start flinging random speculation about, surely?

B16EB408-5D97-450F-87B8-05D9B4F7405D.thumb.jpeg.aa6a0ed7e8c34b4d91ed74e1f2ea8154.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Better that than start flinging random speculation about, surely?

Yeah but Agnew will have insider knowledge of the situation, that we as fans obviously don’t have.

He should be allowed to have his view on what the situation is (without going into every little detail) and how we sort out the issue going forward.

That was an opportunity to calm some of the fears that the statement has created.  The way Agnew brushed off that issue as not his department was bizarre IMO.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Captain said:

Yeah but Agnew will have insider knowledge of the situation, that we as fans obviously don’t have.

He should be allowed to have his view on what the situation is (without going into every little detail) and how we sort out the issue going forward.

That was an opportunity to calm some of the fears that the statement has created.  The way Agnew brushed off that issue as not his department was bizarre IMO.

Don't think it would be a good idea commercially going public on something like that.

The statement was bad enough, no need to add more fuel to the fire.

5 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Don't think it would be a good idea commercially going public on something like that.

The statement was bad enough, no need to add more fuel to the fire.

I agree - the statement was bad, for a variety of different reasons.

But Agnew had a very good opportunity to start putting out said fire.  But he didn’t, which just creates more uncertainty IMO.

As a club employee, he’s surely got an opinion on whether we are likely to be embargoed soon.  Like I say, he didn’t have to give us all the gory details but he could at least have had the courtesy to address the fan’s fears on this IMO.

• Haha 1

Anything he say would be taken as gospel so if he is not in the loop and expresses his own opinion it would be very unprofessional.

He may even have been directed to not answer any questions on the subject.

Agnew's area of expertise is football not solving P&S problems.

2 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

I deffo like the last bit.

Sounds great.... Just one sticking point. 

We are really short on players with either pace or intensity let alone both, though we can play with a good tempo, but need to start from the off, instead of gradually and slowly starting like we're on holiday more often than not from the kick off. 

Agnew is a coach by trade at the club. He knows his position and is wise to not get publicly involved in the discussion. In two weeks, we probably will not see him anymore as the bigger Steve (by all accounts) takes control.

Please remove the tin foil hats, let's just get behind the team - whatever it is.

He says the right things, but the players just don't seem to get it if the Hull game is anything to go by. 

Lutton was a one off as a cup game, but hardly convincing.

I'm more confident with this set of coaches that the prep and coaching is done right, than under previous regimes. Therefore another non performance and the issue lies firmly with the players. 

Time to show they want to be a part of this club, show their supposed quality on the ball and approach the game with a tempo, at least marginally above that of veterans walking football.

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

It's easy to see how it could be misconstrued.

And I'm sure The Star will be busy trying to do just that as we speak to create a negative non-story.

However....as always it's not always the words but the way they are said that counts.

I very much read it as him meaning "Players playing is up to the players" .  As in-: working hard. Proving themselves in training. Pushing for a place in the squad. Etc etc.

1 hour ago, Hookowl said:

You're right, she's done it.

a985a485b30a0965e6d1fcac45ad54fe--classic-comics-courage.jpg

Looks like she's definitely looking on here. She's now done a completely different write up. :biggrin:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/it-s-in-the-hands-of-the-player-sheffield-wednesday-s-steve-agnew-throws-down-gauntlet-to-almen-abdi-1-9545875

53 minutes ago, The Captain said:

Yeah just a simple answer of "I'm sure the chairman, his team and Steve are working tirelessly to secure the long term sustainability and future success of the club" 

Thus distancing himself from the question, yet appeasing us fans and the media. Simple this press conference stuff lol

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

See...even with Doom exposed he's just been replaced with another!

They have an army of them down there.

image.png.80fa2bc637ff71a314b31ec1c798e493.png

“Abdi looks okay. He trained again this morning, he just needs games. He’s been a long time not playing football, so we just continue to monitor him. Hopefully he will have another Under-23s game next week. It’s now in the hands of the player. He’s had some Under-23s, and we want to see him in more of those games."

Hardly "Throwing down the gaunlet"

A better headline might have been "Door open for Adbi Return" or "Bruce to give Abdi fair chance"

But no...

They really attach a negative angled click bait headline to anything.

Meanwhile Sheild the spiel is hammering out his Captain positive gibberings for the other lot.

image.png.2ea5840fc3b1ecd28f0e8d0a7076f04a.png

• Haha 1

Mr Agnew talked a brilliant game before Hull. I like his manner and his temperament and whatever was said today might be informative ....but I’ll be more convinced if the performance tomorrow is a massive improvement on last week.

Guest Bulgaria

Abdi needs games!!!!

For the love of God, how's about I root around in my attic and search for a load of old connect 4, monopoly, kerrrrplunk and buckaroo.  Anything to get that absolute drain on the pitch.

Needs games.... Geeoaawww man.