Wigan Press conference breakdown

2 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

In what way?

It was simply the old "clean slate, up to the players to prove themselves"...

Ah, maybe I was taking Snooty's summary a bit too literally - I read it as written in the OP, "if *he* plays again it'll be in the hands of the players".

So they meant that applies to everyone, regarding their own chances?

3 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

So sad with Kieran Lee ................hope i`m wrong but it really does look like game over.

Yep the chances of him proving his fitness before end of the season and maybe earning a contract look very remote won't see him in a Wednesday shirt again very sad 

22 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Did he touch any more on this, what does he mean by that?

18 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

It is an interesting question. Were those his exact words?

Perhaps he means if the players don't play well enough to keep their spot but it an unusual way of putting it. A more natural way would be to say that it was up to Abdi to earn his place.

... or ...

It's easy to see how it could be misconstrued.

And I'm sure The Star will be busy trying to do just that as we speak to create a negative non-story.

However....as always it's not always the words but the way they are said that counts.

I very much read it as him meaning "Players playing is up to the players" .  As in-: working hard. Proving themselves in training. Pushing for a place in the squad. Etc etc.

The Star reports it as;- "He's had that under-23s game but it's in the hands of the players and when Steve comes in we'll have a look at that".

Which to me, is referring to the fact that Abdi was given a game against Bolton in which he had the opportunity to prove himself. We lost 3-2, conceding the winner late on and Abdi was taken of in the 65th minute for Hunt. So with SA saying nothing else, either Abdi did brilliantly (without getting a single mention in the match report) and could be in line for some squad time, or he let the chance slip and his future will be decided when Bruce gets back.

Is it hello Abdi, or goodbye Abdi and is anyone here still that bothered? He has joined the growing list players who seemed to be brilliant before they arrived and became rubbish shortly after pulling on the blue and white stripes!

6 minutes ago, Martin said:

Does he mean "it's in the hands of the other players" - thats how I read it.

Could Abdi have fallen out with the rest of the squad?

Aha! The temptation of the bait was too much! I knew you were on here somewhere!

Officers, arrest that man!

image.png.b533218709dfe08b039d507884bbfc4b.png

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

Perhaps he means if the players don't play well enough to keep their spot but it an unusual way of putting it. A more natural way would be to say that it was up to Abdi to earn his place.

... or ...

Maybe that's a typo and the words were 

In the hand of the player rather than players?

The game against Bolton U23s was played Monday 14th at Middlewood Road, with Damba playing most of the game, taken off for Borukov in the 82nd minute and Van Aken coming off for O'Grady in the 45th minute. Stobbs scored our first and Connor Grant the second.

With the SWFC report and Bolton's report making no mention of Abdi, I suspect that he did not shine, but you never know, all that slate cleaning may have made him a bit stronger and more determined....

24 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

And I'm sure The Star will be busy trying to do just that as we speak to create a negative non-story.

However....as always it's not always the words but the way they are said that counts.

I very much read it as him meaning "Players playing is up to the players" .  As in-: working hard. Proving themselves in training. Pushing for a place in the squad. Etc etc.

Fair enough.

Funny though, he speaks English but there is still misinterpretation possible. lol

43 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Abdi been making friends left, right and centre by the sounds of it   :picnic::duntmatter:

Thought it looked as though he and FF were close from Watford days when AA signing was first announced*, but never really seen any evidence of that since.

*Sheffield Wednesday in their B.A. years (before Abdi) - a simpler time when all this were nowt but (non-Desso) fields :Chansiri:

What is it with us and double letter names. 

Fernando forestieri

Almen Abdi

Barry Baman

Jermaine Johnson

Carlos Carvahal

Big Bruce......

35 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

You're right, she's done it.

a985a485b30a0965e6d1fcac45ad54fe--classic-comics-courage.jpg

• Haha 2

What’s the point of Agnew hosting a press conference when his answer about the embargo situation (the only remotely interesting point of discussion that he was asked about; the one issue every Wednesday fan has been worrying about since Chansiri’s statement this week) is “ Dunno, ask Steve and Dejphon”.

Almost like he’s scared giving his thoughts in case he treads on someone’s toes.

Odd.

1 hour ago, Kanye West said:
  1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

·     

• ·       Abdi needs games and will play for U23’s next week. If he plays again for the first team…it’ll be in the hands of the players

Did he touch any more on this, what does he mean by that?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the way I read it.

Drop the 's' off the last word players and it basically says it's in Abdi's own hands.

Edited by ElsecarOwl