FFP/P&S Question

Apart from financial experts I don’t think any of us fully understand the EFL’s current rules (do they even understand them), as we know we are probably somewhere between £15 - £30m the wrong side of the line, if and it’s a big if 1867 is a huge success (unlikely) or we sell players (inevitable) and balance the books what then? Can we then start from year zero and spend again or is that over simplifying things?

Does anyone know the outcome?

What an absolutely flawed system. 

£35m loss allowed in a season if you were in the Prem within the last 3 years, yet if teams only been in the Champ can only lose £13m? 

Certainly puts the ‘Fair’ in FFP doesn’t it.

Edited by WhiteOwl91

Guest wilyfox

Foook knows. I find it bizarre that DC left the fans' forum saying he needs to go and think about FFP solutions, and all he comes up with is that rambling statement of emotional drivel telling us the end is nigh. Whatever happened to the "friends" we supposedly had?! Have they deserted him, or was that all bshit? 

4 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

The system was set up to stop clubs building up massive debts, then going into admin.

The EFL would say it’s worked because clubs going into admin is rare these days.

Agree it doesn’t seem right that some clubs can ignore the rules and if they managed to gain promotion then it’s a small fine, which they can easily afford.

However I believe the EFL are trying to make it more foolhardy to overspend by imposing points deductions instead of fines, will be interestestig to see how they punish Birmingham City.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

£35m loss allowed in a season if you were in the Prem within the last 3 years, yet if teams only been in the Champ can only lose £13m? 

Certainly puts the ‘Fair’ in FFP doesn’t it.

And that's not even taking into account the fact that a club that gets relegated already has a £40m+ head start on clubs that aren't receiving parachute payments...

9 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Foook knows. I find it bizarre that DC left the fans' forum saying he needs to go and think about FFP solutions, and all he comes up with is that rambling statement of emotional drivel telling us the end is nigh. Whatever happened to the "friends" we supposedly had?! Have they deserted him, or was that all bshit? 

It doesn't matter how much money he has, he is not allowed to spend anymore, rich friends or not

• Like 1

FFP can easily be solved. Owners put in as much as they like on an equity basis only. No loans to the club.

FFP is partly about creating the closed shop of the Premier League. It's why FFP is different in the Premier League, League 1 & League 2. At least L1 & L2 is related to turnover.

I find it ironic they call it fair play

When clubs like ourselves are competing in a league where half the competition is on parachute payments

If they wanted to introduce financial fair play, they should have stopped parachute payments at the same time

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Just now, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

When clubs like ourselves are competing in a league where half the competition is on parachute payments

If they wanted to introduce financial fair play, they should have stopped parachute payments at the same time

I don't think it is coincidental it is now called Profitability and Sustainability and no longer a mention of the word 'fair'.

Just now, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

If there's ever going to be genuine "financial fair play" then parachute payments need to be scrapped, and to protect relegated clubs from unsustainable wage bills all PL contracts should have a mandatory relegation clause. 

Most of the teams that come down make huge money by selling their star players anyway and then get the parachute payments as well. I think when Newcastle got relegated they sold Sissoko and Wijnaldum for something like £50m for the pair, and used the cash to rebuild for promotion, they probably never even needed to touch the parachute money.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alanharper said:

If there's ever going to be genuine "financial fair play" then parachute payments need to be scrapped, and to protect relegated clubs from unsustainable wage bills all PL contracts should have a mandatory relegation clause. 

Most of the teams that come down make huge money by selling their star players anyway and then get the parachute payments as well. I think when Newcastle got relegated they sold Sissoko and Wijnaldum for something like £50m for the pair, and used the cash to rebuild for promotion, they probably never even needed to touch the parachute money.

Other clubs just cannot compete with this.

So am I right in thinking the following; 

We're currently working within the 3 accounts of season's 15/16 (£10m loss) + 16/17 (£20m loss) + 17/18 estimated 

17/18's estimated loss put us at breaching p&s, hence why we were under an embargo over summer.

Come march the 17/18 accounts will be published. 

From May we'll be working with the 3 accounts of 16/17(£20m loss) + 17/18(loss to be announced) +18/19(this season's estimated loss)

So you'd imagine we'll lose around £19m 17/18 season, and the funds hes trying to raise this window would break us even for this season's estimate and leave us boarder line with breaking p&s?

Is this a logical take on it or am I swinging well wide of the mark?

Why are we still getting linked with players? Why have we paid 2m for Bruce? Why haven't we sold any players? Whats the long term plan? Have we sold the ground? 

So many things to potentially go wrong it's scary times.

Guest wilyfox
35 minutes ago, MallorcaOwl said:

It doesn't matter how much money he has, he is not allowed to spend anymore, rich friends or not

Villa found a way. 

6 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Villa found a way. 

Villa were never near FFP/P&S limits. They had actual cash problems in that the owner couldn't get it out of China. Their solution was finding someone with money. Not the same situation at all.

Edited by OxonOwl