FFP: Break or Be Broken

I have listened to everything Chansiri has been saying or publishing online, and from his point of view, every team will inevitably break FFP unless they get promoted. So I propose the question, in the summer, (if we can avoid an embargo before then) why don’t we do a QPR, Leicester, Wolves. Spend tons of money on good players in the summer and try and have a real go. If we are always going to break it, no matter what we do, why don’t we do it in ‘style’ and try and get promoted that season. Like QPR and Leicester showed, you are likely to not get a points deduction but instead a fine which is minuscule compared to the massive TV money you would get if promoted. I know it would be a massive risk and you wouldn’t necessarily get promoted, but you have to take risks to progress in anything.

18 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

I have listened to everything Chansiri has been saying or publishing online, and from his point of view, every team will inevitably break FFP unless they get promoted. So I propose the question, in the summer, (if we can avoid an embargo before then) why don’t we do a QPR, Leicester, Wolves. Spend tons of money on good players in the summer and try and have a real go. If we are always going to break it, no matter what we do, why don’t we do it in ‘style’ and try and get promoted that season. Like QPR and Leicester showed, you are likely to not get a points deduction but instead a fine which is minuscule compared to the massive TV money you would get if promoted. I know it would be a massive risk and you wouldn’t necessarily get promoted, but you have to take risks to progress in anything.

An embargo will start in March, unless major sales in Jan.

Edited by fred mciver

Seems to me, the premier league clubs are getting what they want, a financial ring fenced premier league. 

Ill wager there are more clubs than we know sailing very close to limit, if not over it. We just seem to be very vocal about it. 

Interesting times ahead. 

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 1

We’ll already be under an embargo by then and also if we didn't get promoted, which we probably wouldn’t, then we’d be punished with a points deduction which would likely see us plummet down the leagues with a bunch of crippling contracts and spiralling debt.

Got to be honest here, it’s a no from me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

I think we’ve already had our gamble when we signed Rhodes and Winnall in January. We had to get promoted that season with the money we’d already spent on the likes of Reach, Abdi, Jones, JVA, Boyd, Fletcher

Just chill the f out, stop panicking and sell some players

Stop hoarding players.  It's not financially helpful.

Try and be sustainable for a couple of years

Stop reaching for the stars when the red lights are flashing everywhere

Act like an adult and stop saying family

Was watching Derby last night and no idea how they have such a good team after throwing money after money the last few years.

• Like 1

Derby are often sited in any discussions about money but the difference  with them is they make at least one big sale each year, in fact they're about 3 million in profit on sales over the last 3 years.

It's the reality of life in the championship. If you  want to sustain any long term investment  you have to sell players for a profit from time to time.

You can't sell players for a profit unless you get them early enough and improve them...to my mind that's why we need to invest in young upcoming players and also hope the Academy will produce some as well. All of this Bruce knows because it's something he's done before. I wouldn't be slitting wrists just yet chaps lol 

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, Dunkstar said:

Derby are often sited in any discussions about money but the difference  with them is they make at least one big sale each year, in fact they're about 3 million in profit on sales over the last 3 years.

It's the reality of life in the championship. If you  want to sustain any long term investment  you have to sell players for a profit from time to time.

Agreed, but even they are going to suffer this summer if not promoted. Most of their better players are on loan from other clubs. They are with us regarding lifting the limits on FFP shambles. 

13 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Parachute payments have totally screwed the championship.

Yep, they should be ringfenced and subject to the same scrutiny, i.e remove from P&S calculations, other than pre agreed costs, to avoid non football job losses for those who don't earn tens of thousands per week.

Or, increase to a realistic limit, i.e £75m over 3 years. 

The reason most clubs are falling foul of the current limit is the inflated costs caused by the relegated clubs with parachute money, which is sanctioned and seemingly encouraged by the EFL. 

The EFL simply cant turn a blind eye to some, while restricting most of the league from being competitive. Seems they just want the 'glamour' ex premier league clubs to have a fixture list of cannon fodder at the behest of sky.

If DC really has money to burn, fizz the EFL, test their resolve on P&S, go and sign who we need and tie the EFL up in legal red tape for years while they try to impose any sort of sanction. 

Someone needs to take a stand against the hipocracy of the EFL and challenge their arbitrary restraint on being competitive in a league they already deliberately make uncompetitive for all bar a handful of teams.

The Profit and Sustainability is broken. Bolton signed players but did not pay for them they did not get embargo. Birmingham paid way and have money to sign others and are under embargo. Something has to give and I suspect loss figure will have to be increased. DC said at forum things will not be as bad next summer as they were this summer which does not sit well with current statement.

If you think about what Profit and Sustainability means it wants clubs to keep going and functioning. Hence if they lifted our embargo we must have convinced them we are on our way to profitability and agreed a plan to this effect. We have not spent a fortune in the mean time (except change of manager) so presumably we are still within plan. It would be absolutely daft to have a system which imposed soft embargo lifted it and then reinstated a  ban a few months later, if it was obvious to DC and club it must have been obvious to EFL who were looking at accounts.

I wrote to football league and asked questions about P & S in general and they get very touchy if you ask any sensible questions.

For example you have a competition which has different financial rules for a relegated side to one who starts season in that division. If it is to be a level playing field all teams should be able to have same level of investment if owner willing to do this.

What does Sustainability mean.

If you break a rule you should know what punishment will be, who knows what rule will be.

Some clubs pay full wages for players they loan others do not. Some clubs have acquired more than one player from a club could it be argued this help is unfair and when judging levels of investment take this into account.

The ban imposed on us prevented us engaging in loan market at early stage and we had to have what was left on shelf. The sale of Hunt and loan of Rhodes went through a lot earlier than ban being lifted. Why was it not lifted as soon as the second of these transactions went through.

There are loads of anomalies and no clear answer, it can not last and I suspect EFL will end up in court or breakaway league (PL2) will be formed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cognacbarnowl said:

It's all part of the illuminati's plan for the NWO . "Keep them pesky Wednesdayites distracted or they'll stop us tekkin over t'world, ffs. :CEO: and give 'em summat cute to look at too lol lol 

I'd call Sid James rugged but each to his own. 

:CEO:

• Haha 1