Chairman’s statement

3 hours ago, Mycroft said:

A few million from advertising and sponsorship?  What world are you living in?  You knock on DC's door ask for 10% of all the advertising and sponsorship you can raise for the club, and he will grab your hands off and you will make a nice packet as well. 

As stated many time in this link we need new revenue streams as the fans cannot pay for everything. 

New sponsorship options are needed, other sports have sleeve sponsors, sponsors on both the front and back of shirts, a different sponsor for the home and away kit, stadium sponsorship, or stand sponsorship, we could even try to get business or people to sponsor their seats.

How many fans would love to have their name on their seat for a season and maybe pay £50 each for the privilege.

We need new ideas for raising income as the 1867 idea of loan the club money until we get in the premier league then you get a season ticket for x years didn't work last time so why does the club really think it will this time. 

1 hour ago, toppOwl said:

Loans are bought in for many reasons, might be a first team regular carrying an injury so they're cover for if he breaks down, it can be a tryout with a view to a permanent signing, it can be a gee up to players already in that position to up htier game, gettin a player in on loan doesn't mean they are going to automatically be a first team regular.

But your point was we only sign Maccy to make Wallace better, competition is good for places, but Maccy was not cheap we will have probably paid a chunk of his wages if not all and a loan fee for a player who I think barely stated a game in his loan.

The point I was making was we have wasted too much money on poor loan signing who have come in as squad players on very big costs instead of first team players they should have been for. 

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

But your point was we only sign Maccy to make Wallace better, competition is good for places, but Maccy was not cheap we will have probably paid a chunk of his wages if not all and a loan fee for a player who I think barely stated a game in his loan.

The point I was making was we have wasted too much money on poor loan signing who have come in as squad players on very big costs instead of first team players they should have been for. 

You don't know how much he was, your just guessing, if Wallace hadn't stepped up his performances he might have got in the team. All guesswork.

1 minute ago, toppOwl said:

You don't know how much he was, your just guessing, if Wallace hadn't stepped up his performances he might have got in the team. All guesswork.

The way to improve as a team is to sign better players than the ones you already have - something we have failed to do.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

The way to improve as a team is to sign better players than the ones you already have - something we have failed to do.

Permanent signings yes, loans can be done for various reasons, this one did improve the team as Wallace upped his game considerably.

With the players we have bought rather than loaned I agree.

Edited by toppOwl

“Well Sir, another statement.What do you make of it?”

“I don’t make anything of it Stubbs.  It’s telling us what we already know. Though of course there have been a few statements over recent years. It really doesn’t make a difference.”

“Well at least it can be said that people are being kept in the loop.”

“Well not really. Most of it is common knowledge. You can’t throw money at it without some kick back. You have to raise revenue if you want to spend big. Everyone knew that from the outset. We need to raise more revenue, and frankly, we haven’t.”

“Well what can be done?”

“Who knows Stubbs, who knows, it looks like the 1867 thing will be raising its head again. But there has to be another way.  Renting out rooms to a gospel choir and the University Exams board isn’t bringing in the big bucks anyway, that’s for sure. Maybe we can knock down the crows nest and build a 25 story luxury flat complex and rent them out to millionaires at £100k pcm.”

“Bit outlandish Sir.”

“About as outlandish as Club 1867, still, whether it’s a bad idea or not, it’s an idea and I don’t see many others being put forward.”

“Selling players Sir”

“Oh we can sell. It’s one of the inevitable things in football. Or at least it is for most clubs. We seem to have been stockpiling players. But even selling them doesn’t change the fact Stubbs, that the club needs to raise more revenue as a company over the course of the year and not just in the transfer windows.”

“But what?”

“God alone knows.  Maybe he should buy the Sheffield Arena and flog it to us for £2, or maybe he’ll have to do a land grab and buy up half of the city centre, then flog it all to the club for a pound and then let the club rent it or flog it for its proper value”

“I’d suggest there would be an enquiry into such dealings Sir. They're all swindles”

“Really Stubbs!? Well blow my hat off , ring me a cab and we’ll pop to the shops and get me a couple of crates of a popular but not available soft drink.”

“I know hat Sir, but I mean to say that in the long term there has to be a way of improving things off the field 'properly' to ensure the club is run in a way which brings in constant, well earning revenues streams.”

“There’s no two ways about it Stubbs. But what? If it was that simple we’d already be doing it.  Players have got to go that’s how it will pan out. Unless Hargreaves comes in and gets AC/DC, Bon Jovi, U2 and all the other stadium monsters lined up to pay through the nose to play infront of a packed KOP every other week.”

“I think SAG might have something to say about that”

“Pah! Then the wage bill must be trimmed. Some sort of club cap put on it. ‘Come to Wednesday and you can earn no more than £15k a week’ that sort of thing. Graham refused to break their cap when he signed Ian Wright. ‘You come here because you want success son.’ That’s why we got Andy Sinton. They wouldn’t match what we paid.”

“£15k a week would still leave a huge wage bill Sir.”

“It would Stubbs, but nothing near the current one. A wise sage on here says they’re all approaching £50k a week.”

“Even Fox and Palmer Sir?”

“Even Fox and Palmer , Stubbs”

“Crikey. Is he ITK?”

“Well, he intonates....then again he also insists that the training ground is a containment facility right up there with the likes of Guantanamo bay.”

“Hang on a moment Sir. If you have nothing to spend… and even if you sell… you might have nothing to spend…and if you haven’t got two shillings to rub together…. how come Bruce has agreed to come? I thought the perceived wisdom was that he only went to clubs where he had vast amounts of cash to spend?”

“Perhaps he just couldn’t resist the challenge of managing one of the great names in English Football”

“Great names?! You’ve only won one trophy in the last 83 years Sir!”

“I didn’t say successful names did I! I said Great names. And Sheffield Wednesday is a great name. Probably the best if we’re being honest”

“Yes, but your intonation. …when you say ‘great’ one presumes you mean-“

“Well don’t presume Stubbs!”

“They reckon he’s on £2m though, this Bruce character. If you haven’t got any money then how-“

“Who says he’s on £2m?”

“Well; everyone Sir”

“Doesn’t make it fact though Stubbs does it.”

“Well, no-“

“Someone was putting it about that I’ve got a 10 inch todger”

“Really Sir, who was that?”

“Me. But stop digressing.”

“So what is he on then, this Bruce?”

“I don’t bloody know Stubbs. I don’t bloody know. Maybe he’s on a minuscule basic and loads of bonus clauses”

“Well Sir…”

“Well?”

“What now?”

“Nothing now Stubbs. Nothing now. We just do what we do. We turn up. Or we don’t turn up. We watch or we don’t. We listen on the wireless or we don’t. We can’t do anything. Never have been able to. Just keep feeding the addiction. Or else going cold turkey. It’s men kicking a pigs bladder around at the end of the day. It’s what you make of it. It’s what you make it about for yourself. Weve never had a choice really. Bert McGhee was tight. Made Wilko cry with his tightness. We all mumped about that. How we should have built on the upward momentum. But it doesn’t make a difference what we think. Folks didn’t mump when Richards came in and let Trevor and Pleat spaff the cash left right and centre. Not till he’d gone anyway. But we couldn’t to anything anyway. What can you do. You go or you don’t go.”

“But if the club was to go under-“

“The club won’t go under Stubbs. The club will always be here. Clubs don’t go under. They die and are reborn within the hour. It is only us that die”

“So what are you going to do?”

“I’m going to watch it. And talk about it. And mumble under my breath about it. I’m going to suck Werthers and shout at referees. I’m going to complain about Bradley Johnson everytime he steps on the Hillsborough turf. I’m going to complain about the leg room or lack thereof, and I’m going to hope that Mr Bruce can come in and get the team motivated. Because that goes a long way. Getting men to run through brick walls for the cause. Getting the best out of the tools at your disposal. Football has changed beyond all recognition in some ways. Oh yes. But the essence will always remain. If you build a cohesive unit out the men in your dressing room you have a sniff. Blimey. Warnocks made a career out of getting average Joes punching about their weight.”

“So that’s it. You’ve just got to sit back and hope the new manager is better than the last one”

“That is what all fans of every club do Stubbs. If Bruce comes in and we play some decent togger, bag a few goals and get anywhere near the top ten then more folks will turn up than normal. That’s how it works. That’s how it’s always worked. It’s simple stuff really.”

“So this statement…you’re not going to-“

“No. It’s just a statement. It’s nice that he wants to tell the fans what’s happening in a way I suppose. Most Chairman and owners don’t bother with that.  Personally I wouldn’t bother. Most folks will dissect from it what they want anyway. Read it from and angle of approach that is already set.  No…it’s a decent touch, I suspect he’s a decent man.  But actions speak louder than words. He’s got to get the club on track. How he does it…well that isn’t really my concern. What is, is whether we can beat bloody Wigan on Saturday”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Its a very expensive way to manage a squad of player though signing players that cost a decent some of money to not play.

Which ever way you look at it, you use the loan market to improve your team not bring players in, you have no intention of playing.

Let look at Sheff Utd they have signed Dowell and Madine do you think both these players will sit in the stands and watch the team as they are only their to make Sharp and Duffy play better, or have they been signed to improve the team and better the options for the manager and ultimately improve the first team.

I truly hope what you are saying is your opinion and not in any way what the club is doing this, or it would suggest why we are in the problem with money and losses the way we are.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Its a very expensive way to manage a squad of player though signing players that cost a decent some of money to not play.

Which ever way you look at it, you use the loan market to improve your team not bring players in, you have no intention of playing.

Let look at Sheff Utd they have signed Dowell and Madine do you think both these players will sit in the stands and watch the team as they are only their to make Sharp and Duffy play better, or have they been signed to improve the team and better the options for the manager and ultimately improve the first team.

I truly hope what you are saying is your opinion and not in any way what the club is doing this, or it would suggest why we are in the problem with money and losses the way we are.

Your totally and utterley missing the point (perhaps on purpose) loans are made for a variety of reasons as I've previously stated, nobody intends bringing a player in to not play them but they may not settle, the circumstances why they were brought in may change. You keep saying McManaman was expensive but have nothing to back it up apart from speculation. The united players probably will sit in the stands unless the teams fortunes change, Wilder isn't going to tinker too much after four wins on the bounce. Wilder had Woodburn from Liverpool but hardly used him.

You seem to be just arguing for the sake of it now.

1 minute ago, toppOwl said:

Your totally and utterley missing the point (perhaps on purpose) loans are made for a variety of reasons as I've previously stated, nobody intends bringing a player in to not play them but they may not settle, the circumstances why they were brought in may change. You keep saying McManaman was expensive but have nothing to back it up apart from speculation. The united players probably will sit in the stands unless the teams fortunes change, Wilder isn't going to tinker too much after four wins on the bounce. Wilder had Woodburn from Liverpool but hardly used him.

You seem to be just arguing for the sake of it now.

You keep saying Macca was cheap but equally have nothing to back up your argument, every player we have brought in on loan before this season we have paid either all or a big chunk of their salaries and we have in more than one occasion had to pay a loan fee. By virtue of Macca being at a premier league team he won't have been on minimum wage and after his £5m transfer from Wigan will have been on a decent amount, the links I have seen seem to suggest this is £30-40,000 a week before contractual bonuses which was the reason in part why West Brom wanted to offload him to us, correct or not I have not seen his payslip so 100% I don't know. 

But you seem to be saying he was a cheap loan so post the link of what he cost us.

There was a definite problem between player recruitment set against Carlos' management style/method and selection.

Somebody was identifying gaps in the squad which he refused to fill I think in an attempt to bolster the gap with the existing player(s) and strengthen the chosen team unit.

Sounds mad and expensive but almost worked too.

Why don't we just ignore ffp take all the points deductions that they throw at us. Sign Ronaldo Aguero Neymar etc. Win the FA cup without giving a fizz about the league. Then win Europa League then Win Champions League.If we are in League 2 falling down the leagues but we win all the cups then who cares. 

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

You keep saying Macca was cheap but equally have nothing to back up your argument, every player we have brought in on loan before this season we have paid either all or a big chunk of their salaries and we have in more than one occasion had to pay a loan fee. By virtue of Macca being at a premier league team he won't have been on minimum wage and after his £5m transfer from Wigan will have been on a decent amount, the links I have seen seem to suggest this is £30-40,000 a week before contractual bonuses which was the reason in part why West Brom wanted to offload him to us, correct or not I have not seen his payslip so 100% I don't know. 

But you seem to be saying he was a cheap loan so post the link of what he cost us.

If his parent club wanted to off load him I very much doubt they'd be asking top dollar in wages from a club that could potentially take him off their hands if the loan is a success, I'm sure also we wouldn't have bought in a loan player who was earning £5k more than the highest earner at the club.

17 hours ago, theowlsman said:

I haven’t seen Bielsa’s press conference but gave you a LOL anyway Hooky. lol

Been busy these last few evenings reading about Disclosure, our need to fight aliens in outer space with advanced technology that can traverse galaxies, and that we’ve had for years, and Trump’s pending indictment of 60,000 Shadow Government operatives who are in bed with the lizard aliens including the Clintons

All fascinating stuff.

I think Neil needs to up his game with this site to compete.

garymegson

Hahaha, been entertaining myself with that too Owlsman. I had no idea whatsoever about pizzagate until a few days ago. But one of the best is, "house of Windsor and the New World Order. " lol  It has more twists and is ten times more entertaining than Game of Thrones, ffs. Recommended viewing with a spliff and a bottle of JJ.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

Not heard it called 'togger' for absolutely yonks.

That's the problem with the modern game. Too many of the good words have been lost.

For every 'togger' that has been consigned to the history books a new terrible phrase or word has entered in it's place.

The dreaful "Presser" being top of my hate list.

And of course, the awful, nauseating .... "baller" and "tekkers"

giphy.gif

Two questions:

If you were the chairman of a club entering financial difficulty and a transfer embargo...

and another team offered you £2m for an unproven youth striker who you don't think is worth their demanded £xk per week contract,..

Wouldn't you just sell him?!

If you were the chairman of a club entering financial difficulty and a transfer embargo...

and you have players on substantial contracts not getting game time,,,

Wouldn't you sanction their sales or loans?!

I'm sure there are reasons to say 'No' to both, but I'm struggling to think of any right now.

• Like 1