Chairman’s statement

15 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Be interesting to see the details of the revised 1867 Scheme but I don't get a good vibe it will be a success.

Cant see why the club so reluctant to sell a player or two. It's what clubs have done since football began to balance the books.

When even Manchester United had to sell Ronaldo to Madrid its hard to argue Wednesday should be immune.

In some ways I do find this a strange thread as you very rarely find supporters of a club (including me) arguing to sell the best players!

It will be very interesting. What if it’s a sort of share issue? We’ve done that previously to raise money. So the membership gives something tangible like a vote on a fans advisor and discounts on st and goods? Many of us have these things up willingly to sort out the mess previously created. Would people be willing to buy in again?

• Like 1

Apologies if this has already been asked/covered, but...

If we sold players that generated enough to avoid an embargo would this actually allow us to spend anything in the summer?

I was under the impression the p&s was over a rolling 3years, so if we sold players and 'broke even' this transfer window, released out of contract players in July, we would have to replace these players in the summer, meaning we would still have to generate some income to balance the summer spending?

I  might be completely wrong with the above, BUT if I'm not, would it not be better to keep hold of our better players and take the embargo?

10 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Think you may be right...but...Why not just say it?

I think most Owls fans realise we had a tilt, it didn't work, we need to rebuild..Why all of a sudden were we "Staving off relegation"..What by spaffing millions on players who arent playing?

it doesn't add up...nor does it add up that Steve Bruce is coming in, having being acquainted of this dire situation.

So now we have a second version of a plan that  hardly anyone  took up.

He's either preparing us for raised ticket prices or selling players..or even both...I honestly don't think the fans will stand for raised prices, I suspect thee are many that actually can't afford it, and more that are unwilling to after having "The questionnaire" from a previous ramble.

Try simply telling it like it is, instead of this confusion of contradictory rubbish....In fact..Tell us what you told Steve Bruce 

I cannot see how he can try and raise the ticket prices anymore, we are absolutely maxed out in this department. In fact that is the only thing i can think of at the club this is operating a premier league level.

This statement doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. So his intention was never promotion he just wanted to keep Wednesday in the championship? He wanted to spend (lose) loads of cash and take loads of abuse from disgruntled fans to keep us in the championship?

Also the part about if we got promotion we would need 4-5 years in the prem to break even??

It all looks pretty grim to me. I'm still looking for some kind of hope re-reading the statement but i can see very little. He still talks about if we don't get promotion this year, well that is dead and buried and i'm pretty sure this 1867 is not going to rescue us either......

Guest Willow Owl
9 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Anyone suspect the EFL won’t be too pleased Chansiri has spoken out on this, there silence for me has made it fairly obvious they don’t wish it to be spoken about in the public eye 

Absolute load of nonsense the whole thing,  needs scrapping 

Totally agree. All the clubs that are likely to be affected in the coming months should publish similar articles(not as long and drawn out) about how it will be the club itself and the fans that will suffer long term because of FFP. Maybe  the EFL may start to take notice if fans can kick up a big enough s__t storm. 

They cannot give fines, points deductions or even relegation to everyone. FFP needs scraping as soon as. 

I think sometimes we don't ask the big questions. Why does a bloke from the other side of the globe, with no interest or knowledge of football, suddenly decide to buy an English EFL club with no prospects of turning a profit in the short or medium term? Where the only prospect in fact is to make year on year losses to the tune of millions that have to be covered from his own or his backers' pockets.
The Chinese authorities have started to question the motives of what they call "irrational investments" by mega-rich Chinese individuals. Some are part of entertainment and sports conglomerates, so there is a least a certain synergy in having a stake in European football. But I mean, really, what is DC hoping or expecting to get out of this? 

3 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

I think sometimes we don't ask the big questions. Why does a bloke from the other side of the globe, with no interest or knowledge of football, suddenly decide to buy an English EFL club with no prospects of turning a profit in the short or medium term? Where the only prospect in fact is to make year on year losses to the tune of millions that have to be covered from his own or his backers' pockets.
The Chinese authorities have started to question the motives of what they call "irrational investments" by mega-rich Chinese individuals. Some are part of entertainment and sports conglomerates, so there is a least a certain synergy in having a stake in European football. But I mean, really, what is DC hoping or expecting to get out of this? 

Just keep us in the Championship was the plan apparently. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, toppOwl said:

Here you go again, the highest paid player at the club is on £35k so I've no idea how McManaman got 40, do you get your info from The Sun? :tango:

I prefer his basic plan to get us out of the cart to your 1867 v2.0....got any other gems for his Highness and us stupid fans?

3 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

I think we are a gamble to him. Bought a decent Championship club spend a bit to try get them up. Then keep chasing your loss by stumping more money in till you can’t spend anymore. He’ll probably get bored and sell or stop funding eventually. People don’t realise how bad these issues are going to become. 

Just now, Willow Owl said:

Totally agree. All the clubs that are likely to be affected in the coming months should publish similar articles(not as long and drawn out) about how it will be the club itself and the fans that will suffer long term because of FFP. Maybe  the EFL may start to take notice if fans can kick up a big enough s__t storm. 

They cannot give fines, points deductions or even relegation to everyone. FFP needs scraping as soon as. 

As I understand P&S / FFP was set up after the HMRC told the Football Authorities to get its house in order after clubs like Leeds, Portsmouth and nearly Wednesday went into admin and the Tax Man lost millions. 
No club has gone into Admin recently because of the rules.

Guest Willow Owl
15 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

You won't be leaving while you still have a job to do defending the rank incompetence that will see a begging bowl handed out for the second time. 

How come you only appear in posts that slag off the club and chairman. DC is just laying it on the line, whether you agree with what he has done in the past or not. 

Breaking sustainability rules isn't investing to maintain your championship status. Note that DC inherited a team and club that was already consolidated in the Championship, a team built on sound financial footing. A team which even after the splurge, supplied the main spine for the play off first XI (Westwood, Lees & Lee), all three of which were free signings. Achieved by a manager who enjoyed the net transfer spend of zero pounds, a manger under DC's own wisdom was dispensed with to bring in his own man, who then oversaw the rush to emulate the late Richardson era of irresponsible spending..

He shot at the moon, and missed...twice.

So what was plan B? Sell all those players we could no longer keep hold of of course. Ah but wait, DC won't sell any players (apparently), even though their wages and transfer instalments would breach… yes..Sustainability rules! 

So there wasn't a plan B after all.

I'm sorry, whilst appreciating his candour it doesn’t get round the fact that our current predicament is simply the culmination of his inept leadership of the club. It was promotion in two years or bust. DC is effectively on record saying this. Yet now apparently we had to waste all that cash just to stand still.
Really? Because I’m looking at teams such as Brentford, and Huddersfield when they went up. I fail to see their signings of £8 million has been strikers and over 30 journeymen on wages over £40k a week.

So here we are, club back up for sale, in financial difficulty and fighting relegation. Only this time with the added bonus of an inevitable transfer embargo which will make replenishing the team problematic to say the least.

If you want an insight into our next preseason, google that Hull City squad picture with 5 players in it.

Edited by pussface
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We need promotion this season...

But his investment up until this point was to keep us in the Championship...

And yet we talked about promotion by our 150th anniversary....

But the spending of 8 million on Jordan Rhodes, 4.5 million on Abdi and the rest was done to keep us up....

But we need to get promoted...

However, our spending to keep us up, has led to the club facing profit and sustainability sanctions which could lead to our relegation...

When you break it down, the whole thing is complete gobbledygook. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Willow Owl said:

How come you only appear in posts that slag off the club and chairman. DC is just laying it on the line, whether you agree with what he has done in the past or not. 

So if a criminal admits to his crimes you start liking them for it?

You do realise hes laying this crap on the line because its his own doing and the paying 'customers' or fans have a right to know about their club. This statement is not some sort of sacred blessing that we should be thankful for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pussface said:

Breaking sustainability rules isn't investing to maintain your championship status. Note that DC inherited a team and club that was already consolidated in the Championship, a team built on sound financial footing. A team which even after the splurge, supplied the main spine for the play off first XI (Westwood, Lees & Lee), all three of which were free signings. Achieved by a manager who enjoyed the net transfer spend of zero pounds, a manger under DC's own wisdom was dispensed with to bring in his own man, who then oversaw the rush to emulate the late Richardson era of irresponsible spending..

So what was plan B? Sell all those players we could no longer keep hold of of course. Ah but wait, DC won't sell any players (apparently), even though their wages and transfer instalments would breach… yes..Sustainability rules! 

I'm sorry, whilst appreciating his candour it doesn’t get round the fact that our current predicament is simply the culmination of his inept leadership of the club. It was promotion in two years or bust. DC is effectively on record saying this. Yet now apparently we had to waste all that cash just to stand still.
Really? Because I’m looking at teams such as Brentford, and Huddersfield when they went up. I fail to see their signings of £8 million has been strikers and over 30 journeymen on wages over £40k a week.

So here we are, club back up for sale, in financial difficulty and fighting relegation. Only this time with the added bonus of an inevitable transfer embargo which will make replenishing the team problematic to say the least.

If you want an insight into our next preseason, google that Hull City squad picture with 5 players in it.

Absolutely bang on the money my friend. Could not agree more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, pussface said:

Anybody believing the Chairmans contradictory confusing ramblings just needs to read the above.

Great post.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Just keep us in the Championship was the plan apparently. 

Where we continue to make year on year losses to the tune of millions that have to be covered from his own or his backers' pockets

Sounds like an excellent business plan

2 hours ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

He tries to give us clarity and what he's thinking/feeling,he tried to get us pro.otion in 1st 2 seasons and we only just missed out,he's signed some top players for us and really turned us around,he wants the best for us and keeps pumpung money in,yet half of you still sl ag him off think he's upto some ulterior motive,dosent give a sh it and hates all us fans?????????????wtf.....seriously???....

DC God help you if you sell some players in jan,only half of us will understand the reasons the other half will have had ear muffs and blinkers on for the last year.......UTO

How has he turned us around?  We're now arguably in a worse financial state than when he arrived.

We have team full of ageing rubbish that, quite worryingly, would probably struggle to beat the pre-chanisiri team ( Maguire, Reda etc ) despite costing about £30 million more.  

We're paying the highest prices in the league to watch a team of expensive "professionals" struggle to register a shot on target.

He might have turned us around, but unfortunately he's turned us so far that we're now going backwards, a new scoreboard and a crap performance at Wembley aren't enough to disguise it,  the bloke has tried his best, but he's f#cked almost everything up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

Wait are you telling me he has bought the rights to every stand sponsorship? Every executive box? Every advertising hoarding? Front of shirt, back of shirt arm sponsorship? Partnership sponsorships , general sponsorships? 

I cant decide if you are a staff member trying to support th club, someone on the wind up or just absolutley someone who has no idea but will back the club without reason. 

Like I said he's put as much in as he can in sponsorship, whats left is minimal. Do you really think there are blue chip companies with millions to spare waiting to sponsor us? Why have we never had huge sponsorship in the past?

It's not me who has no idea.

1 hour ago, TaxiMark said:

Well isnt that the figure what was reported?

Put it this way Steve Bruce wanted a break from football we wasnt going to offer him peanuts, so offering a 'big' deal then coming out with that just makes him look like a person that has got absolutely no idea.

Lots of things are reported, doesn't make them true.