Chairman’s statement

9 hours ago, Morepork said:

I've been a big advocate of DC, really wanted him to succeed but more importantly to be treated fairly. I think in the main, most fans have abided by this.

Reading the statement, the second paragraph, in particular, is like a Russian re-write of history we see in the "Putin era". I find it incredibly difficult to accept that version of events. Under no circumstances have we operated like a team that was looking to maintain its position in this league or build from the bottom up.

Chansiri's ability to contradict himself and then persist with his new version of events is extraordinary. I've got a number of theories on the go: 

• We're all living in George Orwell's 1984 and, despite having clearly been at war with Eurasia for several years, we are now suddenly at war with Eastasia. Chansiri had this to say to the Sheffield Star, 
    :Chansiri:"We've always been at war with Eastasia."

• The Dejphon Mandela Effect. Owls fans are experiencing events from a different reality. 

• Sheffield Wednesday has become a living Wikipedia page. Chansiri logs in to the matrix at 10pm after a few ciders every few weeks and changes, y'know, trivial things like the kit, badge, prices and facts, without leaving any citations.

• Dejphon has a twin. One has been trying to get us promoted by playing 'aggressive, attacking football'. The other has been trying to stave off relegation with Jos Luhukay and sell the club on the sly. I call this The AC/DC theory. (I'm calling his twin 'Alan' in order to make that work)
Edited by Samurai Blue
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, swfcjack27 said:

How about getting some proper sponsorship on board DC to increase income instead of dodgy D taxis and Elev8. Admirable he wants to put all the money in but it just doesn’t work and we’re in a financial state. Even after that statement he’s still not got a plan, worrying. 

How many times do we have to go through this, he's putting in the maximum in sponsorship that he possibly can himself.

33 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Here you go again, the highest paid player at the club is on £35k so I've no idea how McManaman got 40, do you get your info from The Sun? :tango:

Rhodes is on 40k(yes not at min) fletcher 35k hooper 29k I know that for sure on them 3 , id guess bannan and forestieri are on similar to hooper and fletcher . based on abdi ,been at the time a class player and playing regular for Watford in there promotion season  and 1st season in premier league he must be on 30-35k here  and jones boyd will probably be on 25-30k again based on they were regulars in premier league and wouldn't have took a pay cut to come here. the mistakes were clearly made giving ageing players there last contract in football ,and therefore no interest in earning a new deal , why cant chansiri say in his statement about the mistakes made and not doing them again , handing 3-4-5 year deals out aint the best way forward unless its a younger player and the contract is for less. 

12 minutes ago, wmb said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'm sure DC regrets signing Abdi, Van Aken, Jones, Rhodes etc however at the time they seemed like decent signings which the majority of us applauded. Rightly or wrongly he rolled the dice in those first 2 years. We are now going to have to take our lumps and start again. No amount of whinging is going to get us out of this situation. Lets see how the next 2 months unfold and then go from there. I'm 99% sure that the 1867 scheme is not the only thing he is considering at the minute. Take a breath and chill, things will work out.

I totally agree

abd that's simply all DC has to say

We gave it a go, missed out, let's start again

Not this ridiculous

"We got to Wembley in a mad effort to avoid relegation "

Just tell it like it is instead of spinning a story to suit each circumstance as it pops up

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

So the crux of our situation is that Mr C has money but due to P  & S he's not allowed to invest the money as the club has to be seen to create it's own revunue and not rely on him funding us? 

Well here's a thought, bare with:

1 Mr C could increase the match day ticket price to £50 all areas of the ground

2 Then he can access the club's database on fans who've bought match day tickets and season tickets for the previous 3 seasons to obtain their registered addresses. 

3 He can work out the 32000 who've bought the most tickets and write to them with a personal cheque enclosed to value of £1150 (from him to them) for each of them to buy 23 home league match tickets at £50. 

4) Cancel all existing season tickets and refund the pro rata value paid to each fan taking into account games already seen with their ticket. 

5) Fans who've had their season tickets cancelled and costs reimbursed get match day tickets reserved in the same seats. 

6) 32000 X £50 ticket generates £1.6m revenue per game (from home fans alone). 

Because the money is gifted from his personal money to each fan as a gift it is not part of the club's expense, when the fans buy the tickets it IS going to the club and therefore counts as Revenue. 

Nothing the EFL can do about a chairman personally gifting fans his personal wealth that they then spend on the company of which he is Chairman. 

If Chansiri sent me a cheque for £1150 I doubt I’d spend it on watching Sheffield Wednesday.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, handworth52 said:

Rhodes is on 40k(yes not at min) fletcher 35k hooper 29k I know that for sure on them 3 , id guess bannan and forestieri are on similar to hooper and fletcher . based on abdi ,been at the time a class player and playing regular for Watford in there promotion season  and 1st season in premier league he must be on 30-35k here  and jones boyd will probably be on 25-30k again based on they were regulars in premier league and wouldn't have took a pay cut to come here. the mistakes were clearly made giving ageing players there last contract in football ,and therefore no interest in earning a new deal , why cant chansiri say in his statement about the mistakes made and not doing them again , handing 3-4-5 year deals out aint the best way forward unless its a younger player and the contract is for less. 

Rhodes isn't on £40k, 100% he isn't. The other figures you quote are guesswork. One I know for a fact is Westwood on £25k.

5 minutes ago, striker said:

Good point, we spent big on the wrong type of players and we are now left with a squad, bar 3 or 4 players, full of poo . 

We can't give away most, the only option selling one of the few decent players and running down the contracts of others. Releasing all out of contract players in the summer will be a start.

DC is right, you have to spend in this league just to stand still, we've not done that very well, but the whole FFP/P&S nonsense as it stands is ridiculous. The loss limit needs scrapping or increasing to a realistic level in line with inflated costs within the game.

The inflated costs by the way down to the EFL in allowing relegated clubs free licence to go mental with parachute money, with no similar controls or sanctions.

I agree in principle but they weren’t the wrong players 3 seasons ago...I think the problem was with Carlos recruitment or lack of it, after Wembley. On the back of this DC’s reluctance to off load and sell players at the right time hasn’t helped either. Sadly in the modern game 10 years of service from 1 player is a thing of the past due to the amount of money that’s around. Players come and go to enable clubs to keep up with changes as required...not as Sheffield Wednesday!!

DC and the management have been happy to sit players on big bucks in the U23’s or even worse, totally Alienate them!! If they aren’t required, get rid. What’s the point ruining them to the point that they are worthless whilst still paying them a huge weekly wage? 

How much as the McGugan, Hutchinson, Jones, Boyd, Westwood (plus others) scenario cost the club? 

29 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

We need to change our mode of operating. We need to be somewhere between what we were doing and what other sides like Preston and United are doing. 

Simply going cap in hand to raise more funds externally might be ok for a short term fix of this situation. But if we end up right back in the mire again that’s his fault 

good quote ,ive said for ages why a club like preston can find players and turn them into 10 million rated players , our scouting network is a joke.  also look at Brentford yes completely different they employ quite a few people in an office analyse and check out thousands of players and then sell them on for 10-15million , if things are done properly then success will eventually come. 

7 minutes ago, Samurai Blue said:

Chansiri's ability to contradict himself and then persist with his new version of events is extraordinary. I've got a number of theories on the go: 

• We're all living in George Orwell's 1984 and, despite having clearly being at war with Eurasia for several years, we are now suddenly at war with Eastasia. Chansiri had this to say to the Sheffield Star, 
    :Chansiri:"We've always been at war with Eastasia."

• The Dejphon Mandela Effect. Owls fans are experiencing events from a different reality. 

• Sheffield Wednesday has become a living Wikipedia page. Chansiri logs in to the matrix at 10pm after a few ciders every few weeks and changes, y'know, trivial things like the kit, badge, prices and facts, without leaving any citations.

• Dejphon has a twin. One has been trying to get us promoted by playing 'aggressive, attacking football'. The other has been trying to stave off relegation with Jos Luhukay and sell the club on the sly. I call this The AC/DC theory. (I'm calling his twin 'Alan' in order to make that work

It could be any of the above theories or a dozen more......the only comfort I can find is that it's unlikely Trump or the Russians are involved....at least I hope not.

I've had all day to mull the statement over......and quite frankly the history re-write is insulting to peoples intelligence. His intentions may be good but history is littered with well-meaning fools.

- The fans money doesn't cover anything (fans forum)

- I need you all the spend your cash now or we're fooked (statement)

We understand the situation. How's about helping yourself a little DC? Yes you've done all the advertising possible, probably at a higher rate than you would have got commercially

- sell a player or two

- don't turn your back on local business by increasing the price of boxes to extortionate and unjustifiable amounts

- don't price out the people you're asking to help

3 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Rhodes isn't on £40k, 100% he isn't. The other figures you quote are guesswork. One I know for a fact is Westwood on £25k.

no I know hooper is on 29k a week I guy who told me should know , as for Rhodes he was on way more than 40k at middlesborough , at this min fletcher is our top earner on 35k a week those 2 I do know 100% the rest is more guess work based on what there on etc ,so forestieri is clearly on between what hooper and fletcher is on otherwise he would have left. we have a number of players on 25k a week or more , westwood,lees, lee,jones,bannan abdi,hooper,fletcher,forestieri boyd  and Rhodes when he returns 

2 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

good quote ,ive said for ages why a club like preston can find players and turn them into 10 million rated players , our scouting network is a joke.  also look at Brentford yes completely different they employ quite a few people in an office analyse and check out thousands of players and then sell them on for 10-15million , if things are done properly then success will eventually come. 

Well we've just twice in the FA Cup played against a young full back who I'd be seriously considering making a bid for. Young, pacy, can play left back, right back and right mid - all the positions we are lacking in. Sell one of the big hitters and get players like him in before his value goes up. Yes he may turn out crap but we have seen the big players on big money can fail just as easily. 

7 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

My point is that Chansiri is not borrowing money from banks to subsidise the day to day running of the club or any player purchases. Its his money not like the Dave Richards era  and the Co op fiasco. 

And whether that is good or bad depends on his intentions and his financial status. 

If the 1867 thing is priced at £1500 again who really is going to buy in to it. Sure there will be a few fams that do but if DC thinks this is going to save us with regards FFP I feel he is being very naive. Like many of the fans I’ve bought a season ticket, bought the shirts for my kids, take my Dad to some games (and pay a hell of a lot for a match day ticket for him). I think it’s crazy that DC wants more and more from the fanbase. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

8 hours ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Just stop with the £40,000 a week rubbish man.

Im starting to think that Room0035 is actually Chris Wilder

10 hours ago, OwlLuke said:

I'm trying to think of another club that have sold as few players as we have in the last 2.5 years. We have sold Hunt, and, er...

Players come and go, that's the nature of football. I get that we want to build a team, but there comes a point where you have to start afresh, which is what we should have done following CC's departure.

The most profitable clubs in the Championship balance the books with player sales, and do better outside of matchday revenue.

Agree with this. Its about managing your assets and making the most of the current. If the rumour mill is correct we could have sold FF for around £15m so that was the time to cash in. Currently Reach is worth North of £10m so why not sell and reinvest some of it. He's a very good player when we are on top but in a defensive game he disappears and has zero defensive qualities.

The other income source we have completely ballsed up is the corporate side. Loads of empty box's due to overpricing, fill these and this alone would cover any income we are likely to receive from another crazy one off 1867 scheme. 

Edited by Mountain Owl

11 hours ago, alanharper said:

I bet we make a hell of a lot more from the FA Cup 4th round than we'll make from a new Club 1867 scheme. People just aren't going to shell out hundreds of quid for no tangible reward. 

If somebody offers £12m for Reach, we need to snatch their hands off. 

Or any of a sellable assets.

No one player is bigger than the club and everyone has their price.

Now is the time to be sensible, sell to stave off the embargo and bring P&S under control and then look the big overdue rebuild that needs to happen.

Guest Willow Owl
3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

And whether that is good or bad depends on his intentions and his financial status. 

The fact that he is funding the day to day costs himself puts to bed any conspiracy theories on that one. His intentions, only he knows.