Chairman’s statement

1 minute ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Here’s my guess...

Ground sale has fallen through/ been made apparent it can’t be used as way round FFP, hence the statement.

Bruce won’t be here in light of our finances.

I think Bruce has told him we aren’t going up, we’ve got enough to stop up and that we should clear the decks now and let him build a side in the summer. 

1 minute ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Here’s my guess...

Ground sale has fallen through/ been made apparent it can’t be used as way round FFP, hence the statement.

Bruce won’t be here in light of our finances.

You can just imagine it tomorrow 

Statement: In light of the club’s ongoing financial situation a mutual decision between Steve Bruce and the board has been made that he will not become manager. Steve wishes the club and its fans the best for the future. No further comment will be made at this time, come back at 10.30pm 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, OwlLuke said:

I mean, spending £10m on Rhodes wasn't exactly a 'staving off relegation' move.

From the sounds of it, no new signings for January, probably selling Reach, and begging fans to sign up to this club to stay afloat. Not looking too good

Not at all.. he says money is Not the problem. We are not struggling to keep afloat at all. Bloody ffp or whatever they call it is the problem. If there was no ffp I really think DC would go for it again. 

It's not a happy statement, but I believe DC to be an honest and genuine man that loves this club. As a lot of people asked a few months ago, he is communicating with fans about the problems ffp are causing us.

Fair play to him

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

He can't win can he.

When's he closed and defensive he gets slated.

When he's open and tells it as it is he gets slated.

Our fans lol

Its a bit murky and not really fully getting to the point. I like the sentiment of trying to give us more information on our FFP plight, but I'd rather he'd have kept it shorter with less waffle and instead finished with a more proactive and assertive ending of having an effective thought out plan and implementing it. 

1 minute ago, wakefieldowl said:

Not at all.. he says money is Not the problem. We are not struggling to keep afloat at all. Bloody ffp or whatever they call it is the problem. If there was no ffp I really think DC would go for it again. 

It's not a happy statement, but I believe DC to be an honest and genuine man that loves this club. As a lot of people asked a few months ago, he is communicating with fans about the problems ffp are causing us.

Fair play to him

But he is incompetent.

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

PSYCH.

We weren't trying to achieve promotion all along. We were actually trying to not get relegated. 

I am just getting sick of the excuses, sort it out of sell up and let someone else have a go. 

in 4 years he has done more long term damage to the club than any chairman in our history. 

we are in that much of a mess, and his only plan is to fleece the fans more.

I bet he wished he took that £100,000 for the radio coverage now :duntmatter:

• Haha 1

I've been a big advocate of DC, really wanted him to succeed but more importantly to be treated fairly. I think in the main, most fans have abided by this.

Reading the statement, the second paragraph, in particular, is like a Russian re-write of history we see in the "Putin era". I find it incredibly difficult to accept that version of events. Under no circumstances have we operated like a team that was looking to maintain its position in this league or build from the bottom up.

Over the last week, we've played (twice) a team assembled with a collective value between 5-10m. They gave us a proper run for our money, looked organised and more importantly were a "team".

I think most fans would be supportive of a club that ran efficiently and bought wisely, even if that comes with fairly regular sales of its star players.

Hopefully, we can start to take that approach now, but please don't tell me that's what we've been trying to do because then I have little to no hope left!!! 

Edited by Morepork
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wakefieldowl said:

Fair play to him

Right. In my opinion that point is almost like saying, well I could rob all the banks in the world and be rich if there wasn't such a thing as the police or the law or a justice system.

The fact is the club can't go rogue and completely mismanage it's finances because there are measures in place that every club knows about. We've decided to ignore it all and are suffering for it now. We will suffer for years because of the knock on effects. All the while paying top whack for it all. Money ain't a problem though.

It’s so simple what needs to happen

Sell FF, Reach, Bannan this month 

Show the FL we’ve sorted our finances out

Just avoid relegation

Let all of our out of contract players leave in June

Launch a full on spendageddon next summer

wee wee the league

• Haha 1

Surely it’s about the sale of players...what we have to hope is they have found a new log pile for the deadwood to lie around on.

As has already been said, selling all our best players can only result in a struggle for the rest of this season and probably next. But wouldn’t you think this should have been done over the last few seasons with ins and outs at each transfer window gradually reducing the wage bill...I’m really struggling to believe that so called business people and chief executives haven’t done this. In terms of clientele: Rhodes can go, Jones, Abdi, Boyd as well, they won’t raise much in fees but could save on wages...at least its a start. Add Reach as the one ‘performer’ to leave and we might scrape the required amount together.

Oh hum...it’s all very depressing.

A naive part of me had hoped the appointment of a manager like Bruce was the beginning of the end to the chairman’s late night statements.

But, I suppose from his point of view, he did have to put up the Dr and his Twitter account at Villa last season. 

26 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

52% of the public voted for an unspecified form of Brexit 

And after 2.5 years in power

118 Conservative MPs just voted against theit PMs deal.

Labour eh! Bloody shocking.

It's a football forum... go and post stupid political posts elsewhere.

It's not difficult

• Haha 1