Chairman’s statement

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

In what respect? I've slept since then!

Sadly.............I mean happily not - marital bliss!

I took thepiss when you suggested him as our boss and he came north to Derby but you were right.

Truth is usually in the middle/midlands.

8 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I think the more time passes the more ridiculous the whole thing is.

Some of it is delusional. Some of it is contradictory. Some of it is just straight up b*llocks.

The thing I can't fathom is why Katrien Meire didn't stop or at least edit the statement before it went out to press. 

Edited by Walt

20 minutes ago, room0035 said:

We got details before the start of the season the price quoted were too expensive so we went elsewhere, not a fan thing a business thing. RUFC was better located near to the M1 for visiting customer/suppliers and what was on offer for the price was better.

Had my business been quoted £27,500 instead of £48,000 maybe the outcome would have been different.

How many boxes do we have? 29?

All in at £27,500 it still comes to less than £1m. It's better than nothing but if we are out by £15m on P & S the only remedy is selling players or possibly the ground.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see all the boxes sold, every little helps but until we can get DC to accept selling players isn't modern day slavery we are not going to get out of this mess. 

1 minute ago, Rev Owl said:

Although that might have been what just happened. 

I suggested back in the summer that we needed a long term strategy,  investing in infrastructure,  do SWOT analysis etc.  I was told that of course they would have done all that and I was naive. 

Nothing that has happened since has convinced me that anyone has or is doing those things.  It feels like we are freewheeling and DC etc are making it up as they go along. 

Even in my modest life in work and business... I ran multiple outcomes on any investment.

The top and bottom lines are hideously distorted in football.. but it's scalable and the the numbers are there to guide you.

If our owner has had to turn a profit with his OWN cash to feed and home and educate his immediate family I'd be very surprised given his high stakes way of doing things.

• Thanks 1

According to DC's statement on the people who were in charge of recruitment are still at the club.  Does this essentially suggest that we are still involved with the likes of Doyen?.  The very same people who have helped contribute to the mess we now find ourselves in.

I find the whole situation completely baffling in all honesty.  

17 minutes ago, Quist said:

I have just seen that Nixon knows nothing about this and said not looking for anybody in this position. When told local journalist had exclusive sounded mardy. Nixon gets his info from agents and in particular has someone connected to Doyen group. With him not knowing suggests gone a different route. He normally indicates when Bruce is using own sources but with him being away probably unable to check. I am delighted this proves we are moving away and you were correct when making statement about fingerprints all over it.

Please tell me this lad has nowt to do with them. :picnic:

6 minutes ago, Ronio said:

According to DC's statement on the people who were in charge of recruitment are still at the club.  Does this essentially suggest that we are still involved with the likes of Doyen?.  The very same people who have helped contribute to the mess we now find ourselves in.

Without a doubt we rae ,seeing as their man Paxo is still DC`s right hand man .

While ever Paxo is at the club , Doyen are at involved in the club.

Incoherent ramble, which in many ways contradicts previous incoherent rambles.

Facts are (obviously I am estimating with the figures, but you get the gist):

1. Spends £37M on purchasing the club

2. Makes decisions that do little or nothing to increase revenue

3. Spends £50M on players/contracts above and beyond what the club can reasonably generate in revenue anyway

4. Refuses to sell players

5. As a result of 2 - 4 the club makes operating losses over 3-4 years that dwarf those of it's entire previous 148 history before he bought it. 

6. Declares desire to sell club  

If he wants to achieve a sale then he must accept a significant loss. He should concentrate 100% trying to limit his losses as much as possible and not give a stuff about trying to get fans to like him, which is all this (and previous such rambles) amount to. 

I hope he can come to terms with this reality and sells the club very soon.

9 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Club Statement 14 June 2016
“Sheffield Wednesday Director of International Recruitment Phubate Piempongsant has left Hillsborough.”
https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2016/june/club-statement/

So if Pete, as Director of International Recruitment, wasn't responsible recruitment what was he on the payroll for? 

6 November 2017 
“We have an extensive scouting network that spans the world of football and advisors that make up our transfer committee, which has evolved over the last two years as I said it would.” 

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2017/november/ask-the-chairman---part-two/

Now:

“I have used the same recruitment team since I started”

Not much ‘evolution’ then after all.

And who is this recruitment team? Why can’t they be named? Not that I’d want to put my name to what must be one of the worst squad building exercises ever, leaving glaring weaknesses unaddressed for years that even a casual observer can see need sorting. First and foremost weaknesses at centre back and full back positions, culminating in us becoming the leakiest defense in the league.

How much revenue are other champ clubs making -  prob in a similar position? Hence, you only get like 2 years to go for it.

Not saying parachute payments immediately getting teams promoted, but there's a few clubs who have been up and down - does it long term make you more likely to go back up i.e. gives you more years to go for it?

2 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Club Statement 14 June 2016
“Sheffield Wednesday Director of International Recruitment Phubate Piempongsant has left Hillsborough.”
https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2016/june/club-statement/

So if Pete, as Director of International Recruitment, wasn't responsible recruitment what was he on the payroll for? 

6 November 2017 
“We have an extensive scouting network that spans the world of football and advisors that make up our transfer committee, which has evolved over the last two years as I said it would.” 

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2017/november/ask-the-chairman---part-two/

Now:

“I have used the same recruitment team since I started”

Not much ‘evolution’ then after all.

And who is this recruitment team? Why can’t they be named? Not that I’d want to put my name to what must be one of the worst squad building exercises ever, leaving glaring weaknesses unaddressed for years that even a casual observer can see need sorting. First and foremost weaknesses at centre back and full back positions, culminating in us becoming the leakiest defense in the league.

Our Recruitment is done by Doyen , its no secret. DC said he had severed links with them , BUT one of their main men , Paxo is DC`s right hand man at Hillsbro.

53 minutes ago, shtommer said:

I'm really surprised that statement has got such a generally positive reaction. It's rambling and incoherent, and some of it is shall we say factually dubious (we spent all that money we couldn't afford on Jordan Rhodes in Jan to stave off relegation did we??)

I respect his emotional attachment and financial commitment but he has been incredibly naive and was massively irresponsible in overspending so badly. The club is in a mess as a direct result of his decisions, no one else. Carlos wanted Rhodes? Tell him no. The fans wanted Rhodes? Just tell us that buying him guarantees a transfer embargo if we don't go up. 

As for Club 1867 we'll have to see what this revamp actually entails, but how much can he possibly hope to raise? I don't know many fans who can afford (or want to) to shell out chunky money for essentially... nothing. It's not the fans job to bail the club out of financial mismanagement.

All DC had to do when he pitched up was:

1. Do some basic maths based on say 25k average attendance

2. Assume 7th place finish at best

3. Set a budget ensuring we don't wee wee tail up P&S rules (i.e. max average loss of £13M/year)

4. Get a good manager with contacts who can spot a player (by far the hardest bit but actually, Bruce fits the bill here!)

5. Be prepared to sell a player or two where we can make a huge profit

Am I missing something? 

The only viable solution to the problem DC created is basically to sell Adam Reach for £10m+ by the end of this month...

It was just all very avoidable. 

Great post pal. If we can persuade DC to hand over the decision making whilst still investing money would you be willing to take the role?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

At the forum did he not insist they werent involved anymore

Yes, he did , but a little research tells you that isnt necessarily the case. He may not directly use Doyen himself, but Paxo is a Doyen man. 

23 minutes ago, Owl At Risk said:

Incoherent ramble, which in many ways contradicts previous incoherent rambles.

Facts are (obviously I am estimating with the figures, but you get the gist):

1. Spends £37M on purchasing the club

2. Makes decisions that do little or nothing to increase revenue

3. Spends £50M on players/contracts above and beyond what the club can reasonably generate in revenue anyway

4. Refuses to sell players

5. As a result of 2 - 4 the club makes operating losses over 3-4 years that dwarf those of it's entire previous 148 history before he bought it. 

6. Declares desire to sell club  

If he wants to achieve a sale then he must accept a significant loss. He should concentrate 100% trying to limit his losses as much as possible and not give a stuff about trying to get fans to like him, which is all this (and previous such rambles) amount to. 

I hope he can come to terms with this reality and sells the club very soon.

I agree and add that his whole approach and record suggests has little appetite for business planning. He's just piled in and hoped for the best.

I hope the club get through this, and can only hope that Bruce provides some much needed counsel, advice and direction on and off the pitch. I'm sure Bruce will agree that trying to get a fairly low/modest wage demographic to fund schemes to avoid FFP is a non-starter.

Bruce will want to wheel and deal and we have three assets which could raise a combined £20m. Let's move these on if needed to give Bruce a fresh start and new hand.