Chairman’s statement

Just now, owls maniac said:

Indeed, but they are certainly operating on a more sustainable level. This will likely be the second season in a row we've finished in the bottom half, and DC's statement doesn't give me much comfort that we will be doing anything  but fighting relegation next year. If Derby don't go up this season I expect they will be up there again next year. 

You could well be right, but we might sign a bunch of no hopers similar to United, get lucky and go up.  

21 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

"I would like to say once more that I have used the same recruitment team since I started, other than the change of the coaches, of course. If anyone suggests someone who has now left was the one responsible for recruitment I can categorically say that is not true or they would still be here."

And yet:
14 June 2016: Sheffield Wednesday Director of International Recruitment Phubate Piempongsant has left Hillsborough.
https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2016/june/club-statement/

So if Pete, for one, wasn't responsible recruitment what was he on the payroll for?

You should email the question in, he likes to be honest and open does DC, he said so himself.

1 minute ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

At what point do the Football League look at the number of clubs hamstrung by P&S and decide to change the regulations again?

£39m over 3 years in football these days is pitiful.

I understand what you are suggesting  - with transfer fees, wages etc increasing dramatically, £39m seems relative peanuts 

BUT those are the rules, the clubs are aware of them, so work within them.

Don't spend £10m on a forward who is past his best and we don't need

Don't fill your squad with over aged players on £20k+ a week - with no way of selling them on

There is no excuse for being where we are or any club for that matter 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, torres said:

I understand what you are suggesting  - with transfer fees, wages etc increasing dramatically, £39m seems relative peanuts 

BUT those are the rules, the clubs are aware of them, so work within them.

Don't spend £10m on a forward who is past his best and we don't need

Don't fill your squad with over aged players on £20k+ a week - with no way of selling them on

There is no excuse for being where we are or any club for that matter 

Agreed there are no excuses mate, and we should get ourselves out of the mess we've created.

My point was the FL have changed the bar once - wasn't it £5m/season loss under Milan, now it's basically £13m/season? At some point you'd expect the FL to review and possibly make changes - then how does that impact how we move forward?

What I fine mind numbing is we have been quoting profit and sustainability since the day Chansiri walked in the door.

It has been one of his go to things during forums, official statements and so on. 

And yet, despite being aware, we have ended up 15 million pounds over and facing further embargoes in the summer.

Better yet, our *solution* (on the face of it) is a club membership scheme which tanked the last time it was introduced.

Hopefully, last night's ramble was a way of setting the fans up for some player sales. 

Edited by SiJ

7 minutes ago, bigrbuk said:

You should email the question in, he likes to be honest and open does DC, he said so himself.

You can go through the whole statement and point out where it contradicts previous public statements

But somehow I don't think you'd get anything coherent back from the club

Coherence doesn't seem to be one of DCs strong points

We need DC to sit down with Bruce and formulate a plan for the next 3 years. crap the big earners, consolidate and then challenge. We have to stop being totally reactive and rudderless. At the fans forum the other week DC said he didnt have a plan for the next 5 years- which other business would be in a situation like this? 

2 hours ago, longreach said:

So he didn't actually say that did he?  Would you like to read the transcript of the meeting then come back?

Erm he actually did say it - basically he’s propping the club up, which is right.

And nah I won’t read transcript cheers anyway 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Some fans baffle me too m8,short sighted,we had a go at it,gambled didnt work,at least he had a pop and nearly did it,gave us some great times, and signed some quality players,so now get over it,sell a few rebuild go again,thats what most clubs do,is it not???some win some lose...You think Bruce would come here without any club ambition planned??would you have rather have MM or Allen still running us into oblivion????seriously some of our fans are baffle me..get behind him,stick together and go again......unbelievable Jeff....UTO FTB

Sell players? When have we done that? Were going to lose 14 for free and be in a soft embargo unable to replace them. Great planning. Gives me so much confidence that we have a guy unable to grasp basic math in charge of our club. 

We are not a well run club. Unless you can demonstrate that we are? 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SiJ said:

What I fine mind numbing is we have been quoting profit and sustainability since the day Chansiri walked in the door.

It has been one of his go to things during forums, official statements and so on. 

And yet, despite being aware, we have ended up 15 million pounds over and facing further embargoes in the summer.

Better yet, our *solution* (on the face of it) is a club membership scheme which tanked the last time it was introduced.

Hopefully, last night's ramble was a way of setting the fans up for some player sales. 

That is what i don't get with him.

Yes we all know and accept he does not have the faintest clue about football BUT when he took over i thought the club would for once be a forward thinking business.

It turns out he is worse at business than he is at football!

Be interesting to see the details of the revised 1867 Scheme but I don't get a good vibe it will be a success.

Cant see why the club so reluctant to sell a player or two. It's what clubs have done since football began to balance the books.

When even Manchester United had to sell Ronaldo to Madrid its hard to argue Wednesday should be immune.

In some ways I do find this a strange thread as you very rarely find supporters of a club (including me) arguing to sell the best players!

17 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Think you may be right...but...Why not just say it?

I think most Owls fans realise we had a tilt, it didn't work, we need to rebuild..Why all of a sudden were we "Staving off relegation"..What by spaffing millions on players who arent playing?

it doesn't add up...nor does it add up that Steve Bruce is coming in, having being acquainted of this dire situation.

So now we have a second version of a plan that  hardly anyone  took up.

He's either preparing us for raised ticket prices or selling players..or even both...I honestly don't think the fans will stand for raised prices, I suspect thee are many that actually can't afford it, and more that are unwilling to after having "The questionnaire" from a previous ramble.

Try simply telling it like it is, instead of this confusion of contradictory rubbish....In fact..Tell us what you told Steve Bruce 

11 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Sell players? When have we done that? Were going to lose 14 for free and be in a soft embargo unable to replace them. Great planning. Gives me so much confidence that we have a guy unable to grasp basic math in charge of our club. 

We are not a well run club. Unless you can demonstrate that we are? 

Been saying it forever yet people keep saying we are going to sign this player and that player, Bruce will sign players etc... no he wont and no we wont, we cant, has the penny actually dropped with people yet, we have to sell players and i dont care who they are, we just need to balance the books

Chansiri was/is using the same FFP/P&S Compliance Consultant as Leicester City were.

Costs have risen since the limits were originally set and we are one of several clubs struggling to stay within them.

The rules have only changed so far in terms of their implementation and it was a change that caught more than us by surprise.

This is an EFL Championship problem and  not a SWFC problem.

• Thanks 1

Guest Willow Owl
13 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

You should listen to the recent Wednesday week podcast on FFP. We have some very knowledgeable supporters out there who i can guarantee would be able to put forward a better strategy than the one DC is suggesting (if he in fact has one). Those are the kind of guys he should be reaching out to, but i suspect he is too proud to ask for assistance.   

You cannot possibly know that they would have a better strategy. Football is like no other business as you buy a club expecting to lose money, and until someone owns a football its all opinion. 

You keep using Derby as an example but they are one of the clubs fighting for rule changes within the EFL due to the FFP restrictions. 

The 39 million rule was introduced approx 4/5 seasons ago(not sure exactly) . Since then transfers, wages have increased 10 fold while the FFP limits have remained the same. Nearly all clubs within the championship will fall foul if inflationary costs are not taken into account. All clubs are doing is effectively treading water and moving debt around  while the root cause (FFP) is not being addressed. 

Even Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg couldnt make from that.

8 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Think you may be right...but...Why not just say it?

I think most Owls fans realise we had a tilt, it didn't work, we need to rebuild..Why all of a sudden were we "Staving off relegation"..What by spaffing millions on players who arent playing?

it doesn't add up...nor does it add up that Steve Bruce is coming in, having being acquainted of this dire situation.

So now we have a second version of a plan that  hardly anyone  took up.

He's either preparing us for raised ticket prices or selling players..or even both...I honestly don't think the fans will stand for raised prices, I suspect thee are many that actually can't afford it, and more that are unwilling to after having "The questionnaire" from a previous ramble.

Try simply telling it like it is, instead of this confusion of contradictory rubbish....In fact..Tell us what you told Steve Bruce 

''why not just say it''

Coming from you this is priceless 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

You cannot possibly know that they would have a better strategy. Football is like no other business as you buy a club expecting to lose money, and until someone owns a football its all opinion. 

You keep using Derby as an example but they are one of the clubs fighting for rule changes within the EFL due to the FFP restrictions. 

The 39 million rule was introduced approx 4/5 seasons ago(not sure exactly) . Since then transfers, wages have increased 10 fold while the FFP limits have remained the same. Nearly all clubs within the championship will fall foul if inflationary costs are not taken into account. All clubs are doing is effectively treading water and moving debt around  while the root cause (FFP) is not being addressed. 

Even Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg couldnt make from that.

Fair point. The rules certainly do need looking at. Having clubs coming down with huge parachute payments is distorting the market. It should be the rule that parachute payments can not be spent on transfer fees. 

1 hour ago, Willow Owl said:

I'm out, its like the film one flew over the cuckoo's nest on here at the moment. 

You won't be leaving while you still have a job to do defending the rank incompetence that will see a begging bowl handed out for the second time. 

• Thanks 1