Substitutes (or lack of)

2 hours ago, Brommers said:

Not slagging Agnew off as we won after all, but wonder what his logic was for not making any substitions last night other than bringing MM on in stoppage time? Got the impression reading updates last night that we were under the cosh a bit towards the end, surely some fresh legs would have helped.

What do others think?

There is probably an explanation why you didn’t do much substitutions possibly he was afraid that it may go into extra extra time which would have given a bit of impetus with fresh legs Oh you want to see how much he can get out of the players to cover their fitness levels

2 hours ago, Brommers said:

Not slagging Agnew off as we won after all, but wonder what his logic was for not making any substitions last night other than bringing MM on in stoppage time? Got the impression reading updates last night that we were under the cosh a bit towards the end, surely some fresh legs would have helped.

What do others think?

We were being smashed around 75 mins and he did nothing. I said the same after 30 mins at hull, if not make a sub change the formation. A goal is coming. In that game it was, in this game we got lucky - how that feller didn't score at the end I don't know. Still the feller is a no 2. Hopefully big Steve can see when he needs to make a change better. 

7 minutes ago, Owlsend said:

There is probably an explanation why you didn’t do much substitutions possibly he was afraid that it may go into extra extra time which would have given a bit of impetus with fresh legs Oh you want to see how much he can get out of the players to cover their fitness levels

Probably like me on fm. He got distracted, looked up and it was 90 mins. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Got to be balanced with who he has to come on and is a change necessary. Look at Jones v a West Brom. Came on and scored an own goal. Was this because he wasn’t up to pace with the game and didn’t react quick enough?

Think he got the it right last night in terms of using subs.

Turned out to be the right call but, and it’s a big but, Winnall needs to get some minutes under his belt.

I expected him either to start last night or at least get the last 30 minutes.

Does seem Agnew is very reluctant to make subs other than for injuries or time wasting at the end of games.

Guest Willow Owl
4 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

True but Liam Shaw made the bench for the first game, he or Conor Grant or both could’ve been selected ahead of Baker, Pudil or Van Aken?

How would throwing young inexperienced players in at the end have helped. WBA at home springs to mind. Clean sheet, away win, job done. 

Records will show 1-0 to us. Not 1-0 but we were under the cosh. 

I think we got lucky last night. Fletcher was dead on his feet at 75 mins and replacing a striker for another striker is hardly throwing caution to the wind. It cried out for Winnall or Matias earlier - fresh legs to give Luton something to worry about. Not as if the ball was sticking with the big lads up front. It is part of our perennial problem over the last 3 years - go a goal up and then grimly hold on. I think football has changed and the successful sides look to score and attack. Second goal would have killed it off last night whereas if they had equalised in the last 15 - which they should have done - we would have been toast...

I think the refusal to change comes from timidity rather than tactical genius...

10 hours ago, Brommers said:

What do others think?

Personally I wouldn't have brought on Milan Mandarić even in injury time the man's 80 FFS!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Brommers said:

What do others think?

I just not convinced he’s that good as a manager hence him being a coach... he’s managed 16 games as a caretaker & that’s his 2nd win.

Not wanting to put the knockers on him but the sooner Bruce starts the better.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
16 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:

The only reason I can think for not starting Winnall, or giving him minutes last night, is that he's maybe in line to start at the weekend?

I highly doubt it.

18 hours ago, Brommers said:

What do others think?

I was shouting to have Nuhiu subbed at half time and then he went and scored in the 46th minute... I'm out! ;)

But I do feel letting Winnall and Matias come on earlier would have made sense, at least Winnall for Nuhiu despite the goal. Nuhiu is not a full match player when he's not in best shape.