Substitutes (or lack of)

Not slagging Agnew off as we won after all, but wonder what his logic was for not making any substitions last night other than bringing MM on in stoppage time? Got the impression reading updates last night that we were under the cosh a bit towards the end, surely some fresh legs would have helped.

What do others think?

Edited by Brommers

3 minutes ago, Brommers said:

Not slagging Agnew off as we won after all, but wonder what his logic was for not making any substitions last night other than bringing MM on in stoppage time? Got the impression reading updates last night that we were under the cosh a bit towards the end, surely some fresh legs would have helped.

What do others think?

Not sure who else he could have brought on to lift the siege 

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not sure who else he could have brought on to lift the siege 

Pudil for Fletch or Nuhiu to make it a back 5 with Hector in front.
or Van Aken for Reach and shuffle him into the middle of the park, to add more defensively in front of the back 4.

or both.

Just now, cookeh said:

or Van Aken for Reach and shuffle him into the middle of the park, to add more defensively in front of the back 4.

or both.

I suppose, but it’s difficult isn’t it We all see situations, where momentum is slipping away, and we naturally look to the subs bench to change things Sometimes it will work, and sometimes that disruption is the thing that makes us crack. For the manager, it’s a risky gamble, and if he thought, doing nothing was the best option, then in a way, that’s being positive as well, even though we may not see it that way

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I suppose, but it’s difficult isn’t it We all see situations, where momentum is slipping away, and we naturally look to the subs bench to change things Sometimes it will work, and sometimes that disruption is the thing that makes us crack. For the manager, it’s a risky gamble, and if he thought, doing nothing was the best option, then in a way, that’s being positive as well, even though we may not see it that way

He may also have been thinking, if we do concede, I need to keep my penalty takers on the pitch.

10 minutes ago, cookeh said:

or both.

Jesus. 

I dread to think of the reaction if he’d have made those changes and they’d sneaked an equaliser. 

1 minute ago, S72 Owl said:

Jesus. 

I dread to think of the reaction if he’d have made those changes and they’d sneaked an equaliser

Agreed.. but surely the problem is that we were riding our luck at 1-0 over Luton. We shouldn't be needing to bring anyone on in the hopes of steadying things in the first place.

Edited by cookeh

1 minute ago, cookeh said:

Agreed.. but surely the problem is that we were riding our luck at 1-0 over Luton. We shouldn't be needing to bring anyone on in the hopes of steadying things in the first place.

I agree that is the main issue.  Not the lack of substitutes. 

I'd personally have brought Winnall on for one of the front two around 70 mins, Get him mins and us a threat on the break as we had nothing in behind and it wasn't sticking.

Id have also looked to get Baker on for Boyd as he was shocking yesterday and Palmer kept getting overloaded on that side 

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

I agree that is the main issue.  Not the lack of substitutes. 

One nil at luton away who were second in the division last time who looked at, great recors at home and should have beaten us at Hillsboro you mean, is that the Luton you mean?

28 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

Not many other pickings to choose from though, eh? They're all bleeding injured. 

True but Liam Shaw made the bench for the first game, he or Conor Grant or both could’ve been selected ahead of Baker, Pudil or Van Aken?