After Hectors performance at Luton in midfield was not up to the quality Hutch can do is it time for Thorniley and Hector to play centre half when Hutch or Pelupessy available and drop Tom Lees. I have heard all the excuses for Lees form (missing Loovens / needs Westwood etc) but basically I starting to think Lees is our week link in the middle of defence. Maybe Fox and Palmer are not good enough to help out which may be true. Before signing another centre half I think we need to see Thorniley and Hector together because if it works out ok we could concentrate on finding 2 quality full backs instead of a centre half which in my opinion is more important atm. I can't remember Tom Lees playing well this season ??

59 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

No matter who we have had in charge of the team. 

One thing is a given with every manager that we have had.

Tom Lees starts. 

Think this answers the question.

No one should be a given and hopefully when Bruce comes in and the much needed rebuild starts to happen a few people might get the much needed kick up the bum that has been lacking for the past 2 seasons.

• Like 1

Lees has been poor for a season and a half. I think Thorniley is a better defender and distributor of the ball and him alongside Hector I think is a good tandem.

But as Blueandwhite stated above, Lees has been a permanent fixture since he arrived, and i do not see that changing. However, Lees has been shocking recently, and his back pass to Dawson beggars belief.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

No matter who we have had in charge of the team. 

One thing is a given with every manager that we have had.

Tom Lees starts. 

Think this answers the question.

it does answer in more ways than one, this is the problem. his form suggests any other playing at his level would be dropped. why not Lees

1 hour ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Lees has been poor for a season and a half. I think Thorniley is a better defender and distributor of the ball and him alongside Hector I think is a good tandem.

But as Blueandwhite stated above, Lees has been a permanent fixture since he arrived, and i do not see that changing. However, Lees has been shocking recently, and his back pass to Dawson beggars belief.

the moment he touched the ball you could feel his insecurity in possession. Luton players were not close but he still panicked. This shows he knows he has no form

2 hours ago, Blue and white said:

No one should be a given and hopefully when Bruce comes in and the much needed rebuild starts to happen a few people might get the much needed kick up the bum that has been lacking for the past 2 seasons.

This. Also, if we want to get the best out of TL it's almost crystal clear that his defensive partner needs to be a vocal organiser. He's twice the player when someone is doing the thinking for him.....

PS. Happy New Year mate!! lol

2 minutes ago, Morepork said:

This. Also, if we want to get the best out of TL it's almost crystal clear that his defensive partner needs to be a vocal organiser. He's twice the player when someone is doing the thinking for him.....

PS. Happy New Year mate!! lol

And you fella, hope you had a good one. Definately need to arrange drinks.

4 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

And you fella, hope you had a good one. Definately need to arrange drinks.

Yep, need to do it soon. I'm getting pressured to cut out all excess and get back down to my fighting weight!! 

Edited by Morepork
  • Haha 1

I honestly feel like it's 100% a confidence thing with Lees. No doubting his defensive abilities as far as I'm concerned.

We know he's more the quiet type who prefers to keep his head down, and the departure of Loovens has really thrust him into the spotlight in terms of his defensive and team leadership roles. It looks like he's really felt the pressure.

Keep seeing various symptoms of it on the pitch, but by far the worst one for me is his endless jockeying, twisted awkwardly at a diagonal angle to the advancing forward and trying to run backwards at the same time. Simply will NOT put a damn tackle in if he can possibly help it - just backs off and backs off, even well into his own penalty box, waiting instead for the shot to come in so he can try to block it. Which very seldom works.

Not sure what the answer is really. I almost feel like we should try sending him on some assertiveness course or an army training weekend or something, build up his self-belief and assertiveness/aggresion a bit. He coule take Reach, Palmer, Boyd, Wildsmith and probably a few others with him for my money.

(Hutch has to stay at home.)

• Haha 1