Hector in midfield

Apart from Hutchinson I think he’s our next best option in there. He gives us some much needed physicality in midfield; wins headers, tackles and breaks up play.

Would like to see him in the middle of a three man midfield but the diamond formation was fine last night with him at the base and reach at the top.

If Bannan stopped running deep to collect the ball 5yards from our defence it might  encourage a player like Hector to stride forward with the ball and push the play further up the field before giving the ball to the play maker. We seem to be too stretched as a team forcing Bannan to ping these long balls forward when really it’s the short interplay around the penalty area that will get you into goal scoring positions. This long ball from Bannan idea might work if we had a pacy player down the flank or in behind their defence but alas... of course Fessi is a good outlet as he has great control, a bit of pace and the ability to hold the ball up and wait for the other plodders to catch up. But we don’t always have the luxury of him being on the pitch/ on the bus / in the country:ph34r:

He could do a job in midfield when Hutch isn't available, but for me, last night showed he needs vastly improve his passing if he's to be used in that role regularly, as he was generally sloppy in that area. He also looked clumsy and at risk of conceding a foul every time he went in for a challenge which, when the referee is as poor as last nights was, only serves to add pressure to an already shaky defence. 

11 hours ago, fpowl said:

Think Hutchinson is one of the best in the league at it. Just need more games out of him that said he’s turned out over 100 times for us so he ain’t doing too bad and we’ve certainly had our use out of hutch long may having him being around be a thing 

i thibk hector will need a rub of 4-5 games in there to get up to speed before calling it though

Managed correctly, you could get a full season out of Hutchinson .. so Bruce, like what Bullen has done, needs to come in and reassure Hutch that he doesn't need to charge around and fly in to tackles a) for the good of the team but also b) for himself - injuries/suspensions. Also look at him not training day in day out and maybe restricting him to just Saturday games and again, we could get a full season out of him like think in the 2016/17 season (34 league games)

I still think we need someone else in midfield though, another bruiser with legs (Diame type which we have been banging on about since the Hull final) Think this is a priority position for Bruce.

Hector for me shouldn't play CDM. He's not got it upstairs to fill in that role on a daily basis. Too nonchalent and over confident. Passing is poor anyway even at centre back and needs someone blasting him to ensure he's concentrating. This is the reason why Lee is struggling this term. Not having the Dutch Master at the side of him barking orders ...

22 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Managed correctly, you could get a full season out of Hutchinson .. so Bruce, like what Bullen has done, needs to come in and reassure Hutch that he doesn't need to charge around and fly in to tackles a) for the good of the team but also b) for himself - injuries/suspensions. Also look at him not training day in day out and maybe restricting him to just Saturday games and again, we could get a full season out of him like think in the 2016/17 season (34 league games)

I still think we need someone else in midfield though, another bruiser with legs (Diame type which we have been banging on about since the Hull final) Think this is a priority position for Bruce.

Hector for me shouldn't play CDM. He's not got it upstairs to fill in that role on a daily basis. Too nonchalent and over confident. Passing is poor anyway even at centre back and needs someone blasting him to ensure he's concentrating. This is the reason why Lee is struggling this term. Not having the Dutch Master at the side of him barking orders ...

Hector was peerless as a defensive midfielder at Reading, so we know he can do it, so it might be worth giving him a run of games With a new centre back coming in, he can give us options in midfield in the short term If it’s true that we are looking for three players this window, a full back, a centre back, and a striker, we have to bolster the midfield from within. Agree though, that we’ll need to improve our midfield options in the summer

25 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Wherever Hector plays he needs to add more discipline to the role , didn't see him last night but at centre back he is all over the shop .

He can improve, yes, but most games he is our man of the match, wherever he plays

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

He can improve, yes, but most games he is our man of the match, wherever he plays

Owlstalks MOM does not mean anything the majority have not a clue what is happening on the pitch most of the time , some clown gave Bannan a 1 the other week against Luton and he created 4 clear chances .

Wait until Bruce comes inn he will make him or break him , 

26 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Owlstalks MOM does not mean anything the majority have not a clue what is happening on the pitch most of the time , some clown gave Bannan a 1 the other week against Luton and he created 4 clear chances .

Wait until Bruce comes inn he will make him or break him , 

No, you’re probably right, but I wasn’t just focusing on Owlstalk, he’s regularly MotM in, both the local, and national press 

Agree that Bruce will be the man who judges his worth, but I think he’s the managers type of player, and most likely in midfield

We had this discussion last week. As a stopper ok, as a ball playing stopper, no chance. Nothing has changed, he isn't good enough technically and Bruce won't play him in the middle because of that. All his MoM's were as a Centre Half, not sure what that has to do with anything. 

1 minute ago, GerOwl said:

We had this discussion last week. As a stopper ok, as a ball playing stopper, no chance. Nothing has changed, he isn't good enough technically and Bruce won't play him in the middle because of that. All his MoM's were as a Centre Half, not sure what that has to do with anything. 

Your opinion, but I’m convinced that’s exactly where Bruce will play him 

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Your opinion, but I’m convinced that’s exactly where Bruce will play him 

Hopefully Hutch stays fit or we get someone else in. In my opinion we will struggle with him playing that role, I forsee a lot of counter attacks after he loses the ball in midfield. To be honest I am not even sure Bruce will pony up to buy anyone in this window. I think he'll stick til summer and then see who's leaving and who's willing to play for a pack of chewits instead of 40k per week.