Hector in midfield

Do we think this is worth persisting with, especially if we’re bringing in a centre back? I’ve been pushing for this for a while now, and I reckon  he is just the type of player who Bruce will want as a midfield anchor

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 2

No, distribution not good enough and not enough pace. This was a League 1 side and they racked up too many shots and corners for anybody to be comfortable with this,

Dawson by all accounts had outstanding night in goal without this we would have lost.

16 minutes ago, Blatter said:

According to Pearson’s commentary Hectors passing was poor most of the game.

He did say a good job of protecting the back four though.

Don’t think we have a player in our squad to better Hutchinson in that position.

Think Hutchinson is one of the best in the league at it. Just need more games out of him that said he’s turned out over 100 times for us so he ain’t doing too bad and we’ve certainly had our use out of hutch long may having him being around be a thing 

i thibk hector will need a rub of 4-5 games in there to get up to speed before calling it though

I don’t think he’s got the attributes for that role. He can be a bit sloppy with his distribution. A bit lumbering and clumsy even. All good whilst at CB but not dynamic enough for midfield. 

Plus he won’t be our player next season, most likely. If we need that type of midfielder we should just get that type of midfielder. We don’t need to shoe horn someone in because they have a long contract or anything.

Edited by Sonny

Quite a bit easier to play when you're facing the opposition's goal from centre back where you can see the full picture in front of you. Bit different when you've got to take the ball on the half turn / with your back to goal in the hurly burly of midfield. Don't think anyone would pick him in that position ahead of Hutch, then again (sadly) I wouldn't play Hutch anywhere else than centre back due to his injury record. 

I don't think it's ideal, but I'd play him there in front of Pulepessy.

One reason being all of a sudden  we had quite a big, powerful side tonight- Hec, Lees, Thorniley, Fletch, Nuhiu. 

Sometimes when you're struggling (as we are) being a bit more physical and direct is an easier tactic to implement.

Playing with patience and invention required quality and confidence we don't really possess at the moment. Maybe it's time for a bit of a Plan B.

• Like 2

The only reason I would advocate this would be to keep Thorniley in the side at Centre back.

He's the shining light this season for me so far, and Lees isn't going to get dropped.     Hector is better currently then Thorniley in defence, but not by much.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

The only reason I would advocate this would be to keep Thorniley in the side at Centre back.

He's the shining light this season for me so far, and Lees isn't going to get dropped.     Hector is better currently then Thorniley in defence, but not by much.   

I must admit, I like Thornley in the side, at centre back. He’s a good tackler, and for someone with so little experience, a good organiser He also adds balance, as he’s left footed

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

I don't think it's ideal, but I'd play him there in front of Pulepessy.

One reason being all of a sudden  we had quite a big, powerful side tonight- Hec, Lees, Thorniley, Fletch, Nuhiu. 

Sometimes when you're struggling (as we are) being a bit more physical and direct is an easier tactic to implement.

Playing with patience and invention required quality and confidence we don't really possess at the moment. Maybe it's time for a bit of a Plan B.

I agree.

Worst thing you can do is think you are better than what you are.

I wouldn’t mind us going the pragmatic, we will not concede route while making us a threat to other teams on set pieces.

That way you always have a chance.

The thing with Hector is he is a bit too nonchalant and sloppy with his passing.  

He can play a bit, but he has a worrying tendency to give the ball away and be too casual at critical moments. 

I'm not sure that's a good trait to have when you're meant to be protecting the back four and mopping things up. 

• Like 1