4-2-3-1

Don’t think we should play this formation. I’d rather us play 4-3-3 or a similar variant which could be a 4-1-4-1 similar to Leeds. We haven’t anyone to play the number 10 role effectively. Bannan is better in a conventional midfield 3 and he absolutely isn’t a number 10.

Edited by Bouncing Owl

Guest LittleG

4-3-3 is the formation we should use once we have the players to play it; unfortunately at the moment I don't think we have. Not sure what formation would suit our current crop of players!

Jones really can't tackle for toffee so can't see him being a defensive midfielder. He can be a deep lying ball player but not a defensive midfielder. If Bruce wants a deep lying ball player then he may as well stick with Bannan. If he wants a couple of ball winning midfielders then the only option we have (without pushing Hector into midfield) is to play Hutchinson and Pelupessy.

I honestly think this is why Jos decided to change the formation as regularly as he did.

We looked at how the opposition would set up and set ourselves up to try and stop them.

He did this because he genuinely didn’t think we were capable of playing a set formation and winning games.

Pretty certain Bruce will play 4-2-3-1. Who will the two holding players be? Probably Hutchinson will be one of them, although if we’re bringing in an experienced centre back, he might switch Hector there. Any of Pelupessy or Onomah can play alongside, or against some sides, he may play Bannan next to a big man.

3 minutes ago, Barr Grylls said:

Doesnt matter what the formation is. We simply have too many players who are not up to the standard required!

Well we do have quite a few that are short of what’s required, but we should have enough to make that system work. Assuming Bruce can land the three players he wants, an experienced leader at the back, a full back upgrade, and a proper centre forward.  

The back four will have plenty of options, and we can perm any two from Hutchinson, Onomah, Bannan and Pelupessy, plus maybe, Hector in front of them. The three behind a new striker, we can choose from Reach, Forestieri, Joao, Hooper, Boyd and Matias. For me the key to making it all work, is having a quick and mobile centre forward There’s enough there, with 3 or 4 key additions

3 hours ago, vulture_squadron said:

Problem with our squad playing this is that we don't have the pace or quality out wide, Fernando excluded. Bannan would make a good 10 behind the striker I reckon and Hutch obvs in DM. 

Also the front man needs a bit of pace in this system. Is Joao ready to be the main man?

Need two strikers

I would favour the formation, as it would mean Bannan would not get within 10 yards of our defenders, something that infuriates me with him. Now, from what we have available  at the moment, I would love to see this -:

Westwood

Palmer Lees Thorniley Penney

Hutch Hector

Mattias Bannan Reach

Fletcher

• Like 1