A12owl

Academy......lack of resaleable players

Does the overall club problem start with a poor academy recruitment and development problem.

Many clubs seem to have at least 1 or 2 players they develop through their academy , give them game time then sell them on for a few million.

Who was the last academy player we sold for any decent money? We possibly have one or two on the fringes currently but will they get the game time and training to move up to first team status to attract a million or two?

A decent academy would make it unnecessary to have to buy all the first team players. I know the big clubs tend to get first pick of the best  but our junior scouting team should be able to find the odd potentially decent kid somewhere in the local area.

Does Bruce have a decent youth policy or will he just buy and loan players?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

We did have a kid named Hirst, whatever happened to him. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, daleblue said:

Thats my point daleblue. We dont  maximise our assets.

Could have made some serious dosh if the situation had been handled differently or had him in the first team  . Potential  was there but not developed.

One problem is that our academy has only recently been invested in to a reasonable extent. So only in the last year or two have good kids started coming through as quality youths and potential first teamers. But we've still been penny pinching as evidenced by fairly short term contracts. Our better prospects need to be signed on longer contracts so that, if they become "too good" for us, we can sell and we can avoid Clare / Hirst situations.

• Agree 8

To be fair we haven't had a decent academy until Dave Jones (yes him) said we needed to improve it. DC has improved it further and we have seen the likes of Hirst and Penney come through.

There are one or two others such as the Bulgarian kids but as we saw with Jos, we can't rush them too quickly. Give it time. It's a lot better than it used to be. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, daleblue said:

He's scoring a goal every 8 games in the Belgian second tier....

• Haha 8

3 minutes ago, neo hippy said:

AgitatedInsignificantBronco-small.gif

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

To be fair we haven't had a decent academy until Dave Jones (yes him) said we needed to improve it. DC has improved it further and we have seen the likes of Hirst and Penney come through.

There are one or two others such as the Bulgarian kids but as we saw with Jos, we can't rush them too quickly. Give it time. It's a lot better than it used to be. 

There are teenagers playing regularly in the premiership and championship . Team needs a blend of youth and experience with one or two older leaders on the pitch. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

There are teenagers playing regularly in the premiership and championship . Team needs a blend of youth and experience with one or two older leaders on the pitch. 

True, but a lot of those academies are category A (even Barnsley's is I think?). We still have porter cabins at middlewood road and a thunderdome. 

Strange how these topics don't appear when we are doing well

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, torres said:

Strange how these topics don't appear when we are doing well

Whats that got to do with anything. Totally irrelevant. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

True, but a lot of those academies are category A (even Barnsley's is I think?). We still have porter cabins at middlewood road and a thunderdome. 

So if we got rid of the porter cabins and the Thunderdome they would become better players?

• Haha 2

CAT 2 academy and the main issue now is that the local head of recruitment is only working in the Sheffield area. Other clubs are sending scouts out as far as Nottingham / Huddersfield / Lincoln where as Wednesday have pulled the plug on that at the younger ages. 

The only older ages 14+ from

outside the city will come from CAT 1 academies who have released players. Example - Devante Rodney, was a City, got let go and came to us. I know we didn’t get a fee but I’m just explaing the process. 

The club are taking backwards steps by narrowing the areas

1 minute ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

CAT 2 academy and the main issue now is that the local head of recruitment is only working in the Sheffield area. Other clubs are sending scouts out as far as Nottingham / Huddersfield / Lincoln where as Wednesday have pulled the plug on that at the younger ages. 

The only older ages 14+ from

outside the city will come from CAT 1 academies who have released players. Example - Devante Rodney, was a City, got let go and came to us. I know we didn’t get a fee but I’m just explaing the process. 

The club are taking backwards steps by narrowing the areas

A lot of our academy crop at U18 level came from elsewhere, John’s lad for instance The big problem for us it seems, is we fail to identify talents from our own city Where are all the inner city lads that are the mainstay of most of the big city academies

Inner city lads mainly go united. Having worked within the academy I have names of players that have been suggested to the club but the club didn’t take action, now these lads are at either United, Rotherham, Leeds etc. Missed the boat now and if they want them in years to come a fee will have to be paid. The club are very slow in getting players in when identified

14 minutes ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

Inner city lads mainly go united. Having worked within the academy I have names of players that have been suggested to the club but the club didn’t take action, now these lads are at either United, Rotherham, Leeds etc. Missed the boat now and if they want them in years to come a fee will have to be paid. The club are very slow in getting players in when identified

So we’re still lagging behind the best academy since time began then?

15 minutes ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

Good information worksop.

Proves the point a bit then.

2 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Barnsley are Cat 2

Some Cat 1 academies have portacabins for changing rooms,  canteen and gym etc. 

I fully understand why we focus recruitment on older players. No mileage in recruiting at younger age groups

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, daleblue said:

3 hours ago, A12owl said:

Thats my point daleblue. We dont  maximise our assets.

Could have made some serious dosh if the situation had been handled differently or had him in the first team  . Potential  was there but not developed.

Ack, not the Hirst thing again. Thought we’d collectively understood that ‘he’ (ahem, yeah right) was effectively trying to hold the club to ransom (regardless of whether or not that was really the intent), pushing either for a structure-breaking wage or for guaranteed first team appearances despite not appearing physically ready?

Naff-all you can really do as the club in that situation, other than get them signed on a massively lengthy contract when it’s way too early to tell. Regardless of the Hirst specifics, is fans would be the first to moan (and rightly so) if Wednesday were habitually doing that for youngsters who ended up never breaking through.

Agree that better investment at academy level is always relatively wise overall, but any wage/contract money thrown around at that age is inherently a gamble. Much bigger/more successful clubs (at least in recent years) than us still get it wrong on a regular basis - been some right bargains had by Champ sides on promising youngsters from Prem teams over the last 3-4 years, half of whom seem to end up being bought back at crazy money by Prem rivals of the original development clubs.

It’s just the way that particular merry-go-round always seems to function - and more so these days than in the past. Very rare nowadays to see truly homegrown stars come through from nowhere and stick with ‘their’ club more than a year or two. As with all things in the modern game, Sky money has a lot to answer for there.

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, neo hippy said:

Exactly , he wasn't that good . 

• Agree 1