The Concept Of The Throw In ? We've No Idea

We need to sort out so many of the basics it is frightening.

We never really benefit from one of our own throw ins and always let the opposition get forward momentum when they have one.

Similarly quick free kicks are for teams full of confidence and pace.

Yesterday we were under pressure most of the game and any free kick should have been used as an opportunity to get the ball forward and give us a bit of a break not passing it to a defender who is immediately under pressure again.

Bannan is the biggest culprit, he needs to stop playing like a kid in the school yard and get back to doing the basics 

• Thanks 1

seems to me most of our players do not have the speed of thought to anticipate what the next pass / move should be - they are so static compared with other teams. The fullbacks that usually take the throw-ins are particularly poor, they lack the necessary skills to go past anyone and therefore lack confidence and tend to always take the safety first option by passing backwards or side-wards and we lose any momentum.

Before and after Birmingham at home we have struggled.

Kikby is bang on - its about options for the player in possession in any situation.

Having seen everything good in that Brum performance, I can't put my finger on whether: -

a] The players are thick.

b] They are disinterested.

c] They are all unfit.

d] They are too old.

e] Instructions are laughable.

f] Tactics are a joke.

g] They are not really professional footballers.

h] We are the only club in the entire league that don't spy on the opposition.

Seriously....

The basics of a team playing well to me, are movement and accurate passing.  We see other teams with 2 or 3 men breaking into space for the man in possession to find them.  This requires fitness, determination and application, none of which seem to be evident in our squad, with very few exceptions.  The times that I find myself mentally "shouting"  - "FFS move"  in a match are too many to count.

It really is unbelievable that a professional team is so clueless as regards the required basics to play the game well.  Maybe it all comes down to motivation, which most of our players don't seem to have, as they're content to laugh all the way to the bank and do the minimum on the pitch.

At last someone who agrees with me. For many, many years I have comlained abut throw ins. Whenever we get a ti the thrower has to wait for our players to stroll into a position, giving the opposition to retreat, or set up. The idea of a quick throw in is a concept completely alien to SW.AND HAS BEEN FOR DONKEY'S YEARS (50+to my knowledge) Similarly the clearances from GK  Westwood tried this in his early time with us and it failed because our players seem to switch off and there is no-one to throw or kick to. 

Likewise with passing. We seem to need to kick the ball to our players' feet, where there is a time for them to try and control the ball, then think what to do with it. This might be ok if we didn't a) kick the ball straight back or b)fail to control the ball first time, but thinking first is a no no. None of our players seems comfortable with the ball at their feet. I well remember Albert Quixall, who never went anywhere without a football at his feet , juggling it as he went. Our players seem to want time to think. Thinking ahead is anathema to them.

Precisely the same thing happens when our opponents have a man sent off. It's as if we don't know what to do with a spare man except for him to get in his teammates way.

3 hours ago, DAMMOowl said:

Anybody remember Miguel Llera and Reda Johnson from throw ins and corners it was so simple.

Ah something simple at last + overriding all keep the king ball on the king floor !

I would say though our bench would welcome a backwoodsman for the last few minutes who can throw the ball a very long way. Wouldn't cost a deal, there are plenty in lower leagues.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
ommision

Guest Bulgaria
5 hours ago, Flat Owl said:

Before and after Birmingham at home we have struggled.

Kikby is bang on - its about options for the player in possession in any situation.

Having seen everything good in that Brum performance, I can't put my finger on whether: -

a] The players are thick.

b] They are disinterested.

c] They are all unfit.

d] They are too old.

e] Instructions are laughable.

f] Tactics are a joke.

g] They are not really professional footballers.

h] We are the only club in the entire league that don't spy on the opposition.

Seriously....

How about all of the above?

Can't be the coaching though as ain't they all got their precious badges:duntmatter:

7 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Free kicks are a bigger problem. We win a free kick in the opposition half and instead of launching it into the box we play a pointless two yard pass and lose the ball straight after. 

It's so frustrating. The aim of the game is to score, and the best way of scoring is to get the ball in the box as soon as possible. We sometimes have 2 or even 3 players standing over a free kick who then pass it to each other with the aim of crossing theball. What's wrong with 2 of the players causing problems in the box and the remaining player putting the ball staright in !!!

We have been joking for years that we should decline all throwins and let the opposition take them all, we would have more chance of winning the ball. 

These are basic skills taught at schoolboy level yet we seem completely unable to master them.

9 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

It's so frustrating. The aim of the game is to score, and the best way of scoring is to get the ball in the box as soon as possible. We sometimes have 2 or even 3 players standing over a free kick who then pass it to each other with the aim of crossing theball. What's wrong with 2 of the players causing problems in the box and the remaining player putting the ball staright in !!!

We have been joking for years that we should decline all throwins and let the opposition take them all, we would have more chance of winning the ball. 

These are basic skills taught at schoolboy level yet we seem completely unable to master them.

Any free kick in the opposition half should be launched into their area. Keep two or three players on the edge of the box and aim the kick to one side of the goal. Anything could happen. It has to be better than Bannan playing a two yard pass to Reach that then gets passed back to Westwood. 

Been going on about this for years. We obviously have no tactic or training from throw-ins. Watch ours go straight up the line like a Sunday league side and then watch the opposition make space and easily gain posession. You could say the same from free kicks, when was the last time we did something a bit different from a free kick? I too would love to attend a couple of training sessions to see what goes on but hopefully it might improve under Bruce.

The number of times when we get a throw in the defensive third, a simple throw to our keeper is available only to be renected, frustrates the he'll out of me. Seldom does the alternative throw lead to anything positive and as has been discussed often puts pressure on the defence and conceding a goal.

we need a throw in coach.:ohmy:

19 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Been saying for a while now that all a team has to do to beat us is let us have the ball. Eventually we will give it to them and they can waltz through and score. Should they wish to put in some effort then try and give us a throw in, that will speed up the process of them getting the ball back. We are absolutely atrocious all over the park at the moment. I fear for any team that can't beat us. 

I agree , and we usually do literally let teams waltz through . It's funny when it happens the other way round you know we won't punish them back though . How we have assembled so many players who can't shoot is unreal