Fans Today

OP is well off the mark. Support was vocal from the start. It has been better, much better, but the support was encouraging. But to keep it going, the fans need something too. The first half performance: I'd describe as attack v defence, knocked any enthusiasm for six. The goal on half time just about killed what was left. The second five minutes into the second half certainly did.

The players did nothing for the entire 90 minutes to get the fans cheering: I appreciate that the OP implies that one leads to the other, but the first half support roused nothing in the players, so any support at 0-2 was unlikely to succeed. We were all cheesed off and wanted the final whistle, so second half support was minimal, a few Sammy Hutchinson chants and one for Winnall. Hardly surprising and not something to determine the typical level of away supporter greatness.

PS Support was way better than at Hillsborough last week.

8 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

OP is well off the mark. Support was vocal from the start. It has been better, much better, but the support was encouraging. But to keep it going, the fans need something too. The first half performance: I'd describe as attack v defence, knocked any enthusiasm for six. The goal on half time just about killed what was left. The second five minutes into the second half certainly did.

The players did nothing for the entire 90 minutes to get the fans cheering: I appreciate that the OP implies that one leads to the other, but the first half support roused nothing in the players, so any support at 0-2 was unlikely to succeed. We were all cheesed off and wanted the final whistle, so second half support was minimal, a few Sammy Hutchinson chants and one for Winnall. Hardly surprising and not something to determine the typical level of away supporter greatness.

PS Support was way better than at Hillsborough last week.

I don't think I was that far off the mark mate. As per my further post a couple of hours ago I posted last night after too many beers and really should know better, so for that I apologise. Maybe the support wasn't as bad as I alluded to but it was very flat and in fairness for the reasons you mentioned. In no way did I suggest it was a day to judge our away support, I know we're better than that. 

And you're right it was better than Hillsborough last week but the Luton fans were very vocal. UTO.

27 minutes ago, folger said:

I can't remember the last game I went to that wasn't eerie silence from our fans. When we were awful and had no money our fanbase seemed more active. I just don't get why.

Probably because we never have sustained pressure,we don't get balls in the box, even when we have a free kick on halfway we pass back 

We don't have any shots ,we give the ball away for fun ,the goal keeper takes an age to take a goal kick even when we are losing 

Half the side couldn't tackle a good breakfast 

That's a few reasons why I wasn't singing like a choir boy yesterday 

I was in home end unfortunately (hate priority point system) Wednesday fans were loud until first goal went in. Players were poor on the field with no stand out performance. Was hoping  never see big Dave in a Wednesday shirt again. Left when 3rd went in so at least I missed the queues. Overall view.....must try harder.

51 minutes ago, folger said:

I can't remember the last game I went to that wasn't eerie silence from our fans. When we were awful and had no money our fanbase seemed more active. I just don't get why.

completely agree, think its just expectations. With the squad we have now we expect results and if we dont perform we dont sing. Sort of we only sing when the players give us something to sing about, but I dont think it should be like that. I thinks fans sometimes can be the difference between winning and losing and get behind them regardless to give them a kick up the arse and be a 12th man.  

Didn't go yesterday but I made this point after Birmingham. 

Our away support used to be known for noise no matter the result or game. Some of the best away days coming in 03/04 and 10/11 - our worst seasons in recent memory. 

Now whilst numbers are probably better than ever, we're just the same as any other team, noise when we're doing well, flat when we're not.

It's a shame as we've lost what made us special. 

Probably agree the issue is it's the same 2,000 that gets tickets every, i.e. not a variety of fans going for their 3 or 4 away days per season when they're 'on it'. But it's hard to argue that this isn't fair with the smaller away allocations. 

Was chatting with Tango after Brum too and he was saying the same. 

• Thanks 1

Guest The Claw
16 hours ago, Justbeanz said:

Ok I'll probably get negged to bits but our vocal support today was cr@p. We get loads of plaudits on here bigging our away following up but we were poor today. I know we didn't have much to cheer about but it was flat from the get go.

its difficult to sing when you have been kicked in the balls

1 minute ago, The Claw said:

its difficult to sing when you have been kicked in the balls

Fair comment but whatever happened to the Wednesday till I die attitude ? Once upon a time there was even a bit of wit with the always look on the bright side of life song. There's nothing now just apathy if we go one down. Only my opinion of course.

Guest The Claw
2 hours ago, Justbeanz said:

Fair comment but whatever happened to the Wednesday till I die attitude ? Once upon a time there was even a bit of wit with the always look on the bright side of life song. There's nothing now just apathy if we go one down. Only my opinion of course.

started watchin em at 12, 58 now, got plenty of bruises but still here - wed till I die!

25 minutes ago, The Claw said:

started watchin em at 12, 58 now, got plenty of bruises but still here - wed till I die!

Very similar to me mate. First game my dad took me to was the City game when they sent us down. 57 nah with plenty of the same bruises. UTO.

6 hours ago, folger said:

easy that one Mate more money = fans expecting better performances , when I was young players were paid a lot less but fought for the shirt but nowadays it seems at times that they couldn't care less .

my first game was at 5 years old 62 years ago , don't get much now though due to other important reasons that sadly won't change  , still miss  the atmosphere  every Saturday or midweek but thanks to my pc i'm there all the time in spirit   UTO

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes we were relatively quiet 2nd half but understandably so, 3-0 down away from home showing absolutely sign of threatening the Hull goal.

That said two things gave a BIG smile yesterday.

One was the Hull fans doing the 'Mauling' celebration, looked hilarious and slightly camp all at the same time.

The other was a boy of about 5 years old just behind me...singing 'Wednesday till I die' as loud as his little lungs would let him ( when the rest of us were silent ) He also did a couple of rounds of 'Oh Sammy, Sammy' on full volume.

Bloody brilliant that was.

Edited by Rhubarb n Custard
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, folger said:

Sometimes (particularly at Hillsborough) the fans are very quiet, but in fairness I would say 95% of the time, (especially away) the fans outperform the team.

If the team performance well, the fans nearly always respond, I really can't say the same the opposite way around, I've often been in great noisy, boisterous away ends but get no or very little response from the team. 

Hull at Wembley being the most obvious example.

Having said that I would like to hear Hillsborough much noisier, much more often, it can sometimes make the difference between losing or drawing and drawing or winning, on the odd occasion (eg Brighton) when the fans are in full voice, it really is inspirational and makes the hair on the back of the neck stand up.

Unfortunately at the moment, it's the old chicken and egg scenario. 

Players lift fans or fans lift players.

The loudest I heard anyone shout was after the full time whistle when one individual repeatedly yelled 'F**k off,Nuhiu'. His demeanour suggested that only Nuhiu was responsible for the debacle. It matters not what you think of that player but the entire team was responsible for the dire display. To single out one player for abuse is plainly wrong.

27 minutes ago, Snowyowl61 said:

The loudest I heard anyone shout was after the full time whistle when one individual repeatedly yelled 'F**k off,Nuhiu'. His demeanour suggested that only Nuhiu was responsible for the debacle. It matters not what you think of that player but the entire team was responsible for the dire display. To single out one player for abuse is plainly wrong.

100% spot on there.Singling out individual players out for abuse is extremely counter-productive and destructive in regards to team spirit.:tango:

2 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Was the concourse atmososphere up and running?

Does people singing at half time drain second half atmosphere?

Nah concourse was strangely quiet n all. Must have just been one of them days when apathy sets in.