Midfield

20 hours ago, malek said:

Bannan tries to fill the same role like Luka Modrić plays for Real Madrid and Croatia, and I believe he got talent to pull it out.

Yet his understandin of the role doesn't seem to be good enough, and lack of movement infront of him doesn't help.

Have to disagree here, Bannan as good as Modric???????????????

He's overrated by you and himself. He was a good player when he was on the left and we had Lee/Hooper/Wallace and FF playing little triangles and pressing together. Those days are gone forever and we now need a clear out. The constant taking the ball of our defence leaves no link between midfield and attack, his high floaty balls come off once or twice a match the rest go straight down the opposition's throats who attack us again, we win the ball back, it has to go through Bannan and repeat the cycle.

On Saturday we played high balls to a target man who even when he won the ball had no chance of laying off to our players, they didn't think on their feet to change the approach and I hate to say it but that's what Jos said. We've lost a lot of players of intelligence and spirit and have replaced them with fannies.

• Haha 1

On 12/01/2019 at 20:30, oldishowl said:

I think a lot of the time it is.

You can tell life is getting hard for him when he keeps dropping deep and playing passes backwards to the centre halfs or full backs.

Because he can’t win the tackles in midfield if he gets under pressure he drops deep to try and find space.

I am pretty sure the set up today was intended to be Hutch in front of the back four with Bannan further forward. It wasn’t long before Bannan was deeper than Hutch.

First noticed that at Wembley.

For 3 yrs I've been getting slated for making comments similar to the majority of this thread. The fact is without Kieran Lee's movement and Hutch's steel Bannan is bang average.

Those two play-off seasons we should have been singing Kieran Lee's name a lot more than Bannan's...

Also can he and Fletcher just get their heads shaved and not have to wee pipe about with their Bobby Charlton combovers every 5 mins lol

Edited by Stokey

On 12/01/2019 at 19:59, SallyCinnamon said:

Reach is a wide man.

Simple as that.

Wasted drifting around in the middle trying to make things happen. Sure he might score the odd screamer and make a clever run but he will influence games more out wide getting crosses in to players like Winnall and Fletch who 8 times out of 10 will score in that position. 

Fletcher is becoming less reliable. Seems to head over the bar more often than not. Yesterday's man, scored 4 this season so far.

Never been prolific, for the so called wages he's on, he's been a poor signing.

3 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

Have to disagree here, Bannan as good as Modric???????????????

He's overrated by you and himself. He was a good player when he was on the left and we had Lee/Hooper/Wallace and FF playing little triangles and pressing together. Those days are gone forever and we now need a clear out. The constant taking the ball of our defence leaves no link between midfield and attack, his high floaty balls come off once or twice a match the rest go straight down the opposition's throats who attack us again, we win the ball back, it has to go through Bannan and repeat the cycle.

On Saturday we played high balls to a target man who even when he won the ball had no chance of laying off to our players, they didn't think on their feet to change the approach and I hate to say it but that's what Jos said. We've lost a lot of players of intelligence and spirit and have replaced them with fannies.

I dont think anyone is saying Bannan is as good as Modric. Let's face it, who is. 

Bannan , like Reach is not being played in his best position. Remember Pleat trying to turn Waddle into Sheridan. We're so short of quality players, we're putting square pegs in round holes.

21 hours ago, Stokey said:

First noticed that at Wembley.

For 3 yrs I've been getting slated for making comments similar to the majority of this thread. The fact is without Kieran Lee's movement and Hutch's steel Bannan is bang average.

Those two play-off seasons we should have been singing Kieran Lee's name a lot more than Bannan's...

Also can he and Fletcher just get their heads shaved and not have to wee pipe about with their Bobby Charlton combovers every 5 mins lol

Best post ive seen on here for al while. Agree with all of it !