Midfield

16 hours ago, Freshfish said:

...with what we had on the pitch today at least play them where they are more comfortable. 

With the bench ... I would have had Jones on next to Bannan and Boyd on the right to start. That would have allowed Matias to come on for Boyd and Pellupessy for Jones. 

And if I was going to be trying something new I would have put Hutch into CB and moved Hector into that sitting middle ...or even partnered Hector with Bannan in midfield and played a two up front of Fletcher and Winnal. 

I agree on that point and I think Jones has become a scapegoat as he's always available when we have the ball so of course gives it away more than others as he doesn't hide like some.

Personally I would play -

Palmer, Lees, Hector, Fox 

...................Hutch

..........Bannan....Jones 

Reach........Fletcher.....Matias 

With whose fit at the moment but if things aren't working like yesterday's shambles don't be afraid to go old school get Nuhiu up top with Fletcher and Winall to play long diagonal balls and have runners off them picking up even the 2nd balls and play the game in there half.

Yesterday was as bad as anything this season imo.

23 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

That's where our real problems lie. The balance in our midfield has virtually coincided with the arrival of Reach. We just don't know two and a half years on where to play him. We've played him in the centre, out wide, just off the front man, we've even played him at wing-back. Also throw into the mix that Bannan constantly feels he has go straight to our defence to pick up possession we lose his influence further up the pitch where we arguably need it more. As a result of these issues we neither protect our defence or create enough chances for the forwards. I believe this is where Bruce really needs to start the rebuild.

The problem with both reach and bannan is they're both not championship standard as  CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS. 

They're not strong, tough or good enough defencivly. Reach would duck out of tackles in an under 11s girls match and bannan tries but lacks the strength and stature. 

If we're going to keep and  utilise them properly, we need to play them where they can still hurt the opposition and create things, yet don't hinder us defencivly. 

I remember everyone complaining about Carlos being clueless playing bannan wide left, but we were far more stable defencivly with Lee and Hutch as the pairing. All bannans other clubs managers wouldn't play him central for this reason,so they can't all be wrong and fans right. 

23 hours ago, Ian_D said:

The Bannan lovers will be neggin away shortly

Teams have worked out that just about everything goes through Bannan and just try to take him out of the game .

reach needs to back out wide if he wasn't so nesh he'd make a good wing back

We are not fit for purpose in midfield or full backs - add our attacking 'injuries' and we lack penetration up front, so not a healthy picture.

BB is the only decent midfielder we have - possibly Reach in the right system. Unless we bring in strong, powerful, athletic players to complement these two, who run for 90 mins, we may as well let these two go and look at a totally new style and personnel in the Summer. Of course we need to get another 20 points from the next 19 games, so a balance needs to be sought these remaining four months.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

Bannan should play as an attacking midfielder or out wide only. He plays instead as some kind of weak mini midfield destroyer half the time which is bizarre given his attributes.

Bannan tries to fill the same role like Luka Modrić plays for Real Madrid and Croatia, and I believe he got talent to pull it out.

Yet his understandin of the role doesn't seem to be good enough, and lack of movement infront of him doesn't help.

We're deficient in so many areas.... midfield is certainly a priority, especially as Lee is, unfortunately, a goner.

The number one priority for me remains the wide defensive players, regardless of system. We can address major defensive frailties and resolve the issue of pace at the same time. If we go one more season without addressing this its unforgivable.

At the same time whoever we sign needs to be a different type of character to the ones we've been signing. Mental toughness must be a character trait. Insert even 4-5 players into our team that demand more from themselves and more importantly those playing next to them and we'll progress.

10 minutes ago, malek said:

Bannan tries to fill the same role like Luka Modrić plays for Real Madrid and Croatia, and I believe he got talent to pull it out.

Yet his understandin of the role doesn't seem to be good enough, and lack of movement infront of him doesn't help.

Bannan is not as strong or quick as Modric and that makes huge difference when high pressing tactics are used. As you have indicated squads lacks balance general lack of pace energy which makes trying to play this style impossible.

16 minutes ago, Quist said:

Bannan is not as strong or quick as Modric and that makes huge difference when high pressing tactics are used. As you have indicated squads lacks balance general lack of pace energy which makes trying to play this style impossible.

As you said, genuine idea in football is to attack and defend with as many players as possible, it is all about transition. And we must be worst team in our league in that department.

1 hour ago, shezzas left peg said:

The problem with both reach and bannan is they're both not championship standard as  CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS. 

They're not strong, tough or good enough defencivly. Reach would duck out of tackles in an under 11s girls match and bannan tries but lacks the strength and stature. 

If we're going to keep and  utilise them properly, we need to play them where they can still hurt the opposition and create things, yet don't hinder us defencivly. 

I remember everyone complaining about Carlos being clueless playing bannan wide left, but we were far more stable defencivly with Lee and Hutch as the pairing. All bannans other clubs managers wouldn't play him central for this reason,so they can't all be wrong and fans right. 

I agree, we've got no pace or power in central midfield. Bannan was more effective on the left but ONLY cos we had Kieran Lee, who we haven't replaced. A box to box midfielder that wasn't massively prolific but can play ticky tack football, drive us forward with great energy, and can defend both positionally and effectively. For me, replacing him is more important than the 'wing backs'.

9 hours ago, Windygrowler said:

I agree, we've got no pace or power in central midfield. Bannan was more effective on the left but ONLY cos we had Kieran Lee, who we haven't replaced. A box to box midfielder that wasn't massively prolific but can play ticky tack football, drive us forward with great energy, and can defend both positionally and effectively. For me, replacing him is more important than the 'wing backs'.

Totally agree bud, I think over the last season and a half almost, out of the outcasts, misfits and long term injured he's the one for me we've missed the most. More than Nando, Westwood and hooper, we can find a way of compensating for those but not Lee.. You said he wasn't prolific, but chopped in with more important goals than any of our other  cm's. 

On 12/01/2019 at 19:43, Great Big Galaa said:

That's where our real problems lie. The balance in our midfield has virtually coincided with the arrival of Reach. We just don't know two and a half years on where to play him. We've played him in the centre, out wide, just off the front man, we've even played him at wing-back. Also throw into the mix that Bannan constantly feels he has go straight to our defence to pick up possession we lose his influence further up the pitch where we arguably need it more. As a result of these issues we neither protect our defence or create enough chances for the forwards. I believe this is where Bruce really needs to start the rebuild.

IMO our midfield was lacking before Reach .

Bannan can not do it all and with out the industry of Lee we are disconnected furthered by the loss of Hooper who tried to play that role of joining the midfield to attack. Hutch provides the bite but we all have to accept that every game is a risk for him and us injury /discipline wise.  it seems very likely that Lee is finished so Bruce has a difficult job as for me the whole midfield needs remodelling 

and with Hooper struggling to come back  Nuhiu has lost my support he's clearly not even trying  so we have no connectivity  and tbh relying on worldies to even score 

big changes and I'm hoping Bruce's telephone is red hot from wherever he is 

Our midfield hasn't been good enough to get us promoted since Carvalhal's first season. After the play off final it was clear we needed someone with physical presence like Hull had and real pace on the wing. A midfield of containing Bannan Lee and Hutchinson wasn't good enough to get us over the line back in 2016 and certainly isn't now. A big clear out is required in the summer with new faces brought in the freshen things up and to give us some identity to how we play. Our players don't seem to have a clue what others in the side are going to do with the ball. Its far too slow with players taking too many touches when a quick pass would suffice.

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:47, 1993swfc said:

100%. Our midfield is so weak. I love Bannan but I’m of the unpopular opinion he had his best most consistent season playing wide left and drifting inside during the 15/16 season while Hutch and Lee played in the centre and gave us more steel in the centre, also takes the onus on him to win tackles, headers and second balls while also the winger marking him is going to be less likely to follow him around than a top central player. 

100 percent this.

Bannan is an attacking midfielder but doesn't get enough goals or assists to play the role, the ideal role for him was wide left in CC first season where he could basically do what he wanted as we were an attacking team with a quality LB in Pudil that year.

Now were that poor in CM he has to play there. Hutch is top quality as a DM but bannan needs players to players further forward and out wide to play with. He doesn't have them and at the moment the only player making runs for bannan to find is Matias, but because of how were set up or bannans need for the ball he is getting it at the back and is too far away to find the target.

As for the back up Onomah, Pelupessy are not good enough to come in. We need replacements in this area asap.

The only solution I can see worth trying with our current squad is to play two proper midfielders plus Bannan. ie not Reach.

Play Hutch plus one of Joey, Jones or preferably Onomah when fit .

Try and get a base to let Bannan play where he wants but further forward without weakening it defensively. 

Get Reach back out wide.

We cannot continue with the current midfield.

14 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The only solution I can see worth trying with our current squad is to play two proper midfielders plus Bannan. ie not Reach.

Play Hutch plus one of Joey, Jones or preferably Onomah when fit .

Try and get a base to let Bannan play where he wants but further forward without weakening it defensively. 

Get Reach back out wide.

We cannot continue with the current midfield.

indeed

there a few areas of recruitment that bizarrely haven't been addressed since wembley  and the long term injury to Lee   i just don't know what our recruiters whomsoever they are have been doing 

27 minutes ago, steelowl said:

indeed

there a few areas of recruitment that bizarrely haven't been addressed since wembley  and the long term injury to Lee   i just don't know what our recruiters whomsoever they are have been doing 

Nothing, thats what