Midfield

40 minutes ago, Freshfish said:

Yes it is if Hutchinson is there to do that job ... the problem is Reach isn’t an enforcer to support Hutchinson and Reach should never play central. 

Agree 100%. Reach didn't win a single tackle today, complete powder puff.

Get him out wide where he can use his assets.

Guest Theboylangers

I do think we rely on Bannan too much, regardless of the system we play. He's a a good player but as someone pointed out earlier, difficult to fit into a playing system or style.

I think we need a change of players in the midfield altogether, it's all a bit predictable for me. And individually, I think BB, Reach, Hutch are decent players. 

Another problem we have is without Lee in the side we haven't got a midfielder who gets close to the forwards or even beyond them. Fletcher in particular works his nuts off without any notable support and finds himself isolated time after time.

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Another problem we have is without Lee in the side we haven't got a midfielder who gets close to the forwards or even beyond them. Fletcher in particular works his nuts off without any notable support and finds himself isolated time after time.

..when he just wants to have fun? 

1 hour ago, Freshfish said:

When there is little choice the biggest, most stupid thing to do is play players out of position. 

Reach  Bannan  Boyd  Matias ...would have at least had some balance. 

If they were sticking two on Bannan that at least gives space for the right hand side. Or shove Hutchinson into a five in the middle.

Reach  Bannan  Hutchinson Matias  Boyd

What went on the pitch today was a massive step backwards for no reason. 

So the answer is to play somebody out of position!!!

Reach, Bannan, Boyd, Matias 3 widemen and 1 CM in there.

43 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

So the answer is to play somebody out of position!!!

Reach, Bannan, Boyd, Matias 3 widemen and 1 CM in there.

...with what we had on the pitch today at least play them where they are more comfortable. 

With the bench ... I would have had Jones on next to Bannan and Boyd on the right to start. That would have allowed Matias to come on for Boyd and Pellupessy for Jones. 

And if I was going to be trying something new I would have put Hutch into CB and moved Hector into that sitting middle ...or even partnered Hector with Bannan in midfield and played a two up front of Fletcher and Winnal. 

2 hours ago, oldishowl said:

I have said all season that Reach is playing in a stupid position and that you can’t have Bannan and Reach in the same midfield.

Reach did a job for us in central midfield last year when we were struggling mainly because he was capable of carrying the ball and getting us up the pitch.

He needs to be played wide as one of the front 3. 

Also Bannan is as much the problem as he is the solution.

He didn’t take any responsibility for trying to drive us forward today and if he isn’t doing that he has zero positive impact on the game.

We don’t have any midfielders with the full range of abilities needed in the modern game, the nearest is probably Onomah and we might not see him again.

You need the “full range of abilities” or a proper blend. The midfield struggled vs Hull at Wembley , it has been rarely any good since and it only functions when it gets plenty of possession

Reach- needs to be wider either front 3 or wide in a 4. Not central.

Bannan- we just haven't found a way of being consistent with him in the team. Will Bruce find that consistency or will he move him on? I think the latter but we will see.

Hutchinson- Bruce will love him but he isn't fit a lot of the time.

Onomah- injured but Bruce played him more as a winger.

Pelupessy- when you consider he is next in the pecking order you realise we don't have many options right now. Midfield needs updating.

Lee- i nearly forgot. obviously if he can come back like the old Lee, its a game changer but not confident that will happen.

Edited by Beholder

2 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Reach- needs to be wider either front 3 or wide in a 4. Not central.

Bannan- we just haven't found a way of being consistent with him in the team. Will Bruce find that consistency or will he move him on? I think the latter but we will see.

Hutchinson- Bruce will love him but he isn't fit a lot of the time.

Onomah- injured but Bruce played him more as a winger.

Pelupessy- when you consider he is next in the pecking order you realise we don't have many options right now. Midfield needs updating.

Lee- i nearly forgot. obviously if he can come back like the old Lee, its a game changer but not confident that will happen.

You forgot Abdi and Jones - oh wait...