Midfield

That's where our real problems lie. The balance in our midfield has virtually coincided with the arrival of Reach. We just don't know two and a half years on where to play him. We've played him in the centre, out wide, just off the front man, we've even played him at wing-back. Also throw into the mix that Bannan constantly feels he has go straight to our defence to pick up possession we lose his influence further up the pitch where we arguably need it more. As a result of these issues we neither protect our defence or create enough chances for the forwards. I believe this is where Bruce really needs to start the rebuild.

• Like 4

100%. Our midfield is so weak. I love Bannan but I’m of the unpopular opinion he had his best most consistent season playing wide left and drifting inside during the 15/16 season while Hutch and Lee played in the centre and gave us more steel in the centre, also takes the onus on him to win tackles, headers and second balls while also the winger marking him is going to be less likely to follow him around than a top central player. 

• Like 3

Just now, 1993swfc said:

100%. Our midfield is so weak. I love Bannan but I’m of the unpopular opinion he had his best most consistent season playing wide left and drifting inside during the 15/16 season while Hutch and Lee played in the centre and gave us more steel in the centre, also takes the onus on him to win tackles, headers and second balls while also the winger marking him is going to be less likely to follow him around than a top central player. 

Agreed, bannan sits far too deep and has since his first season. Get bloody forward man and support the attack

I have said all season that Reach is playing in a stupid position and that you can’t have Bannan and Reach in the same midfield.

Reach did a job for us in central midfield last year when we were struggling mainly because he was capable of carrying the ball and getting us up the pitch.

He needs to be played wide as one of the front 3. 

Also Bannan is as much the problem as he is the solution.

He didn’t take any responsibility for trying to drive us forward today and if he isn’t doing that he has zero positive impact on the game.

We don’t have any midfielders with the full range of abilities needed in the modern game, the nearest is probably Onomah and we might not see him again.

• Haha 1

Reach is a wide man.

Simple as that.

Wasted drifting around in the middle trying to make things happen. Sure he might score the odd screamer and make a clever run but he will influence games more out wide getting crosses in to players like Winnall and Fletch who 8 times out of 10 will score in that position. 

When there is little choice the biggest, most stupid thing to do is play players out of position. 

Reach  Bannan  Boyd  Matias ...would have at least had some balance. 

If they were sticking two on Bannan that at least gives space for the right hand side. Or shove Hutchinson into a five in the middle.

Reach  Bannan  Hutchinson Matias  Boyd

What went on the pitch today was a massive step backwards for no reason. 

23 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

Agreed, bannan sits far too deep and has since his first season. Get bloody forward man and support the attack

I don't disagree with you but you but that is not a decision he's making for himself.

10 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I don't disagree with you but you but that is not a decision he's making for himself.

I think a lot of the time it is.

You can tell life is getting hard for him when he keeps dropping deep and playing passes backwards to the centre halfs or full backs.

Because he can’t win the tackles in midfield if he gets under pressure he drops deep to try and find space.

I am pretty sure the set up today was intended to be Hutch in front of the back four with Bannan further forward. It wasn’t long before Bannan was deeper than Hutch.

17 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Bannan is poor in the tackle and plays far too deep. He has a less than average conversion rate of chances and his number of assists is at best average. He is busy which many fans love but I honestly believe that the team would be better balanced without him.

I agree.

He is talented player but one who is incredibly difficult to fit into a team. He has to play deep as he is not fast enough or strong enough to play in front line. In addition he does not score sufficient goals to justify this. he drops deep to avoid markers and this reduces passing effectiveness. We also just pass to him and so we are one trick pony and easy to defend against. 

Reach is a winger playing in midfield because we don't play with wingers any more. Apart from the odd goal and nice touch he contributes very little. Not his fault, he was far more effective playing wide.

Ironically the best football we've played in the last 20 years was with Bannan playing on the left side. 

I’ve said for years, we should play 4-3-3. Reach should be a wide attacker in this formation - he hasn’t got the skill set to play in midfield. Hutch should be defensive, Bannan the playmaker and we need a runner in there, ideally Kieran Lee but given he’s injured, Josh Onomah. 

Adam Reach is a good player but he isn’t a number 10. He was awful today but we are ruining a good player. Bannan was also very  poor but he is miles better when he has runners and movement ahead of him. Today there was nothing. 

13 minutes ago, james o connor said:

How can our midfield be weak with king Hutchinson in there he’s the messiah ?!,!?’ 

One of the only players who put a shift in today and came out with any credit, him and Westwood maybe. Take it you didn’t go mate?