Man of the Match - Player ratings

2 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Watch it back and you'll see that those negative backwards passes were literally the only option.  Hull were really clever in their play without the ball.  They closed all the gaps leaving 2 options, easy backwards pass so we'd work it back to the keeper, or a hollywood ball with minimum % chance of success.  Either way they would recover the ball within 30 seconds.  At which point they would start an attack from within 10 yards of our half.

We were shell shocked after 10 minutes, you could see it.  We didn't have a clue what was happening or what to do about it.  I still can't figure out how you play against that.  It's like Liverpool, the intensity is incredible.  The only way I can think to beat it is to simply have better individuals who can make a moment of magic.

I get your point but they are hull not barca, those negative back passes come because no player will try to take someone on or try a quick one two pass.

Firstly, all credit to Hull they played very and deserved their win.

Our performance was, sadly, one of the worst I've seen. We were time wasting as early as the 20th minute. Our ball retention was atrocious and we didn’t appear to have any plan to score a goal. The most disappointing thing was that there wasn’t much in the way of determination and effort. As soon as they went 2-0 up it felt like we’d accepted defeat and just wanted it over.

Hugely disappointing and I’m generally quite positive.

Just now, hirstys_achilles said:

I get your point but they are hull not barca, those negative back passes come because no player will try to take someone on or try a quick one two pass.

It doesn't matter if they aren't Barca, if they play like them.  

Every time one of ours did try to take someone on, they got crowded out by 3 Hull players.  I agree that we didn't move the ball quick enough, but Hull absolutely flooded the middle of the park whenever we had the ball.  

Just not bothered...

2 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

:carlosswfc:

It would have been 15-0 if we'd played our u23's.  Senior pros couldn't get to grips with it.  Why would a load of kids?

OMG i cant believe this. if you think being beaten like that is acceptable I lost for words. I will add have you ever noticed that teams of high quality get beat buy teams with much less quality players all the time. This happens buy desire and application. Nobody knows what score u23s would have been, but if it was 15-0 then they would have achieved the same points as the players today !! But seeing players not trying at 3 - 0 result is much worse than having a go at 15 - 0

4 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

OMG i cant believe this. if you think being beaten like that is acceptable I lost for words. I will add have you ever noticed that teams of high quality get beat buy teams with much less quality players all the time. This happens buy desire and application. Nobody knows what score u23s would have been, but if it was 15-0 then they would have achieved the same points as the players today !! But seeing players not trying at 3 - 0 result is much worse than having a go at 15 - 0

I'm not sure I saw 1 player out there not trying.  I saw plenty who didn't have a clue what to do when after 10 minutes they realised they couldn't get out of their own third with anything other than a lumped ball straight to their defence.  

"Pashun and guts" will get you so far, but 99% of the time it won't overcome quality.  Today we were outclassed.  Swallow it and move on.  The best things we can take out of today is a lesson in how we should be going about things.  Watch the video back as a team, identify how you could do what Hull did and then go and execute.

Oh and buy the way, it's by not buy!

Just not bothered...

1 minute ago, mattitheowl said:

I'm not sure I saw 1 player out there not trying.  I saw plenty who didn't have a clue what to do when after 10 minutes they realised they couldn't get out of their own third with anything other than a lumped ball straight to their defence.  

"Pashun and guts" will get you so far, but 99% of the time it won't overcome quality.  Today we were outclassed.  Swallow it and move on.  The best things we can take out of today is a lesson in how we should be going about things.  Watch the video back as a team, identify how you could do what Hull did and then go and execute.

Oh and buy the way, it's by not buy!

thanks but i can spell, i not very good at typing. Y and U are next to each other buy the way (joking). Do I need to correct pashun ?? (which I never mentioned) Agnew said no desire and I totally agree. I don't know yet quite how good a manager agnew is but for the manager to say this I am willing to take his opinion over yours who seems to think Hull are better than Man City. 

2 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

It wasn't so much that I thought we were bad, I mean how can you judge when you never have the ball for more than 3 seconds, but that Hull were fantastic.  

I couldn't honestly give a single player a rating as they just couldn't get anywhere near the ball or the opposition.  It's a long time since I've seen us so comprehensively played off the park like that.  

I genuinely don't think we were bad.  Just completely unequipped to manage Hull.  

think the words your looking for are tactically inept !!!!

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

It doesn't matter if they aren't Barca, if they play like them.  

Every time one of ours did try to take someone on, they got crowded out by 3 Hull players.  I agree that we didn't move the ball quick enough, but Hull absolutely flooded the middle of the park whenever we had the ball.  

you mean tactically ready,and had done their homework i guess

2 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Who knows.

Were it not for Westwood today they’d have been out of sight by half time.

If we'd been playing goalie wag then perhaps but I think it's a fair bet that we'd have had another keeper in his place.....a keeper that would have saved the majority if not all of the shots Westwood did