Man of the Match - Player ratings

Thought Palmer had a decent game...7, Hutchinson, Westwood and Hector.... maybe 6.  Everyone else seemed well off the pace. Having said that I thought Hull played really well, good one touch game, lots of movement..... we were on the back foot from the start.

It wasn't so much that I thought we were bad, I mean how can you judge when you never have the ball for more than 3 seconds, but that Hull were fantastic.  

I couldn't honestly give a single player a rating as they just couldn't get anywhere near the ball or the opposition.  It's a long time since I've seen us so comprehensively played off the park like that.  

I genuinely don't think we were bad.  Just completely unequipped to manage Hull.  

Just not bothered...

1 minute ago, mattitheowl said:

It wasn't so much that I thought we were bad, I mean how can you judge when you never have the ball for more than 3 seconds, but that Hull were fantastic.  

I couldn't honestly give a single player a rating as they just couldn't get anywhere near the ball or the opposition.  It's a long time since I've seen us so comprehensively played off the park like that.  

I genuinely don't think we were bad.  Just completely unequipped to manage Hull.  

I see what you’re getting at - I’d definitely apply that to Bannan who was crowded out of the game and Fletcher who never got any service. But the wingers were dire today, especially Matias who was a total passenger and failed to use the ball effectively even once.

5 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I see what you’re getting at - I’d definitely apply that to Bannan who was crowded out of the game and Fletcher who never got any service. But the wingers were dire today, especially Matias who was a total passenger and failed to use the ball effectively even once.

That's true, but not a single time did he have more than 3 seconds on the ball.  Their wingers must have run 12Km each today, they never stopped.  At one point they had the ball at the back and they had a front line of 5!  Within 3 passes they were on the edge of our 18 yard box.  We were absolutely chasing shadows.

Just not bothered...

Any game like that where we get stuffed it comes down to working out how much of it came from them being good vs. us being garbage, and I reckon it’s possibly a bit too easy for us to kick off and have a rant tonight - we ought to remember just how good Hull were today. I was slightly surprised when they gave Stewart MOTM given that Bowen had run us ragged and scored twice but it makes sense, we couldn’t get the ball past him all afternoon.

• Like 1

Westwood  -  2 . A good save after 30 seconds, then gave 2 goals away

Fox  -  4 . One of his better performances and gets a 4

Lees  -  3 . He just does not look interested to me

Hector  -  5 . Quiet game for him. Westwood in team has hit his form

Palmer  -  5.  MOM but he just the normal palmer

Hutch  -  3 . Never got in to game, didn't break a sweat

Bannan  -  2 . His pass completion stats must be terrible

Reach  -  3  .  I dont get him, He a much better player but why ???

Matias  -  4 . At least he tried

Fletcher - 2 . If we created a chance would he score ???

Boyd  - 2 . Had to check team sheet as could not remember him playing

Nuhui  - 3 . Not a game for a forward

Winnal - 3 . At least he replaced fletcher 

Agnew / clemence / tea lady / westwood but not Bullen - 0. Shockingly bad tactics. No authority, cohesion or fight. Team spirit was non existent

Hull city where good, solid and organised. They slowly picked us off and deserved a 3 goal win. But the way we didn't fight for even a point is what gets me. I get the feeling that the players are doing what they please as they know contracts wont be extended and are more worried about getting injured before finding another club which will probably be there last before retirement. JL tried to install a fight for your place mentality but the experienced players decided to get him out would be easier. I wish they would prove me wrong.

17 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

That's true, but not a single time did he have more than 3 seconds on the ball.  Their wingers must have run 12Km each today, they never stopped.  At one point they had the ball at the back and they had a front line of 5!  Within 3 passes they were on the edge of our 18 yard box.  We were absolutely chasing shadows.

Hull have mostly avg players but are organised and work hard, why dont we ??

agnew was right with his post match comment we had no desire !! Thats the word that sums up what gets to me. Skill and performance can fluctuate as players are only human. But desire is totally down to each individual. Players wages are enough to at least show fans desire. Desire to not be beat, desire to play for swfc !! I feel let down by those players and next time I see kissing the badge etc we know its only when they feel like it !!

I honestly think Hull have better players than us.

Their two wide players were high quality and they have a good mix of aggression, organisation and pace to go with ability.

However I was very disappointed with the negative way we approached it. Every time one of our players got the ball our first instinct was to pass it back, until we gave it away. If Bannan, Reach, Matias etc continually pass it back we will go nowhere.

I thought Hutch was the only one to put in any sort of performance today.

4 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I honestly think Hull have better players than us.

Their two wide players were high quality and they have a good mix of aggression, organisation and pace to go with ability.

However I was very disappointed with the negative way we approached it. Every time one of our players got the ball our first instinct was to pass it back, until we gave it away. If Bannan, Reach, Matias etc continually pass it back we will go nowhere.

I thought Hutch was the only one to put in any sort of performance today.

Watch it back and you'll see that those negative backwards passes were literally the only option.  Hull were really clever in their play without the ball.  They closed all the gaps leaving 2 options, easy backwards pass so we'd work it back to the keeper, or a hollywood ball with minimum % chance of success.  Either way they would recover the ball within 30 seconds.  At which point they would start an attack from within 10 yards of our half.

We were shell shocked after 10 minutes, you could see it.  We didn't have a clue what was happening or what to do about it.  I still can't figure out how you play against that.  It's like Liverpool, the intensity is incredible.  The only way I can think to beat it is to simply have better individuals who can make a moment of magic.

Just not bothered...

1 minute ago, hirstys_achilles said:

seriously it takes 6 months of management before a player will work hard ??

It's not that simple though is it.  Hutch spend 90 minutes "working hard" but he did it all without the ball.  Where did it get him?  

Hull had a plan, a philosophy and knew how to execute it.  We didn't have the individuals skilled enough to combat it today.  I'm not sure many in this league will.  I fully expect them to rise up this league rapidly.

Just not bothered...