Absolutely nothing going forward today.

2 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Fletcher, Matias, Boyd, Bannan, Reach.

These 5 have made nothing happen today. Can't blame the defence. They've had no respite. Simply failed miserably to keep the ball in the opposition half- let alone make anything happen.

Need FF and Joao back desperately.

We havnt had much attacking threat all season

27 league games played and our top scorer has 8

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sheffield-wednesday/top-scorers

After 10 minutes I turned to the Mrs and said "we're going to get beat 3 or 4 today, this lot look great".  We never had an easy pass option, an easy out ball, nothing.  Hull filled every gap, chased every man and doubled up on the player with the ball every single time.  It was quite incredible to watch.  Serious credit to Adkins for the job he's done there. 

Chris Martin is a complete sh*thouse but he played the ref like a fiddle.

We had precisely no ideas at all in how to combat them, and to be frank I'm still not sure what I would have done any differently today.  Ultimately it feels like we have come up against a team who are bang in form and playing a game that nobody has yet worked out.  The speed at which they transitioned was phenomenal, their wingers were direct and they flooded the forward areas with men every time they went forwards.  It was seriously impressive to watch.  We simply didn't have a clue how to combat it.

For me you put it down to experience and move on.  If they keep playing like that they'll get in the play-offs no trouble.

• Like 1

Just not bothered...

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Keep FF Joao and Winnall,get rid of rest of forwards and Reach...

Why keep Winnall over Reach? 

Absolutely awful performance, never in game from first minute. 

We were lucky to get away with

3-0. 

Felt sorry for Fletcher who chased lost causes, we didn't put one decent cross in all game. 

Hull were good but we helped em along the way. 

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, poite said:

I laugh my head off at the deluded clowns claiming we should be demanding £20m for him. We paid 5m for him. He's probably worth around the same now. 7m at the most purely on inflation, not because he's improved at all. 

I laugh my head off when people say he hasn't improved at all. Was our best player last season by miles and apart from last couple of games has been one our better performers in a poor season so far. Also wasn't it well documented we turned down 9 million from Wolves in summer, Or am i dreaming. 

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

After 10 minutes I turned to the Mrs and said "we're going to get beat 3 or 4 today, this lot look great".  We never had an easy pass option, an easy out ball, nothing.  Hull filled every gap, chased every man and doubled up on the player with the ball every single time.  It was quite incredible to watch.  Serious credit to Adkins for the job he's done there. 

We had precisely no ideas at all in how to combat them, and to be frank I'm still not sure what I would have done any differently today.  Ultimately it feels like we have come up against a team who are bang in form and playing a game that nobody has yet worked out.  The speed at which they transitioned was phenomenal, their wingers were direct and they flooded the forward areas with men every time they went forwards.  It was seriously impressive to watch.  We simply didn't have a clue how to combat it.

For me you put it down to experience and move on.  If they keep playing like that they'll get in the play-offs no trouble.

download (1).jpeg

we were abject.

no one played off anyone. no-one ran past anyone, it was dinosaur footy and quite frankly it was frightening.

its ok to big them up but it took them no time to see we were never gonna be a threat, an they played accordingly. but as for us, i thought we were poor v Luton last week, but today was a whole new definition of the word crap!

dont even get me started on 2nd balls. didnt get near one all day. and the players were 30yds apart from each other all game.

its alright Fletcher picking it out the sky, bringing it under, but whos showing for him? whos getting close, whose running past?

our performance was so below the sum of its parts its scary.

6 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Fletcher, Matias, Boyd, Bannan, Reach.

These 5 have made nothing happen today. Can't blame the defence. They've had no respite. Simply failed miserably to keep the ball in the opposition half- let alone make anything happen.

Need FF and Joao back desperately.

You must be joking right? 

Did you not see how we setup? 

Only Fletcher was allowed over the halfway line up until they scored pretty much. We went there to nullify Hull and had two lines of defence so deep in our half, Fletcher was left chasing a ball around their defence and feeding off scraps.

Yet again - we have found out we CANNOT play with style of formation - we need an outball, and that needs two men up top - near Fletcher, to pick the scraps up whilst he’s battling.

Maybe in that case then 5 players could string passes together in the final third rather than in our penalty box. 

Eye opener for us today.

Myself included in this but I think we were all getting carried away after a few tidy performances...the buzz after sacking a bad manager only usually lasts a few games we were bound to have a reality check soon enough. We shouldn't be too disappointed though, Hull are the inform side in the division and they played really well today - we just aren't on that level yet and it was evident. 

We'll have games like these again this season because the squad of players we have still isn't good enough to compete with the best in the league. Given the injuries we had for me we could not have picked a stronger team and we got completed steamrolled, even with FF/Joao I doubt it would have been too different.

Bruce will have some unpopular decisions ahead, him and his staff will be deciding now who they want to build the team around in summer and i would not be surprised if 6/7 of the players who started today weren't here this time next season.

5 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

So what you’re saying is they put effort in and we didn’t? 

You'll obviously disagree but it’s right. We were so lazy as a team today it’s laughable. Doubling up? Chasing every man? That’s effort not skill...unfortunately our players are either not fit enough or are to lazy. Take your pick

Hasn't been anything going forward for a few years now.  If you can't defend, your only option is to ATTACK, as is often said, the best defense is a good offense, and offense is what most of our players are comfortable with.   Today was bad,  but not terminal.  It was however, a very strange game, like a bad dream, but it wasn't, it happened.

Activate, Penney, Thorniley, and Borukov.   Borukov is just what we're looking for in a lone frontman, oh wait, he's not 30-some years old....

Stay positive, SWFC isn't going to collapse and cease to exist because of this current mess.