Resident Evil 2

Anyone played yet?

Mine was here when I got in from work. Missus installed it for me when she got in but I never actually got round to having a go on it tonight.

Bit sleepy now so I think I’ll leave it for tomorrow. 

I’m giddy to play it though. Just can’t wait to see if “that bit is still in” or “how they handled this bit”.

Went through this with a mate earlier on.  We played as Claire first. 

He bought the Deluxe Version so we played with the original 98' soundtrack which is still superior to the new soundtrack in my opinion. 

I enjoyed the experience.  I'll admit, this is the first 3rd person RE that slightly felt like a RE game.  Don't get me wrong, I'd take fixed cams and tank controls over this everyday of the week as that's the way I like my RE to be played.  But this did a decent job.  There's still areas of the game where I could have been playing any generic 3rd person action game though.

Mr X was definitely a highlight.  Fire your gun and he's on you within seconds - even climbs ladders...nice touch that.  Fight with Birkin in the lab was cheap, not a lot of thought put into that battle.  They basically just mashed the Jack Baker fight from RE7 with Saddler's fight from RE4.  Shoot the eyes and the main eye appears.  Yeah yeah, seen it all before.  I could go on but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone.  RPD is graphically beautiful.  I wouldn't expect anything less to be fair with modern day engines.

Overall, a decent effort from Capcom.  Like I said earlier in this thread, far from being groundbreaking but a step in the right direction.

Finished my first run through with Leon.

Met and probably exceeded my expectations, which is quite a feat considering I’ve spent nearly 20 years imagining what RE2 would look like done again. 

I thought it was a perfect blend of Resident Evil new and old. It plays perfectly well, better than any of the “action” RE games, but is dripping with atmosphere and tension. I played REmake all last week in preparation for this, and even rolling from one game to the next the atmosphere absolutely carried over.

It’s absolutely a survival horror experience too. There were segments where I was down to the bare bones - or even none at all - of both ammo and health items. Standard mode really doesn’t mess about if you’re not careful and I hear Hardcore mode is particularly tough. There’s a constant sense of danger throughout the entire game. I finished up with a save count of 46, which meant I was saving every time I came across a typewriter as well as going out of my way to reach one if I was only 2 or 3 rooms away.

This is a superb reimagining of one of the best games of all time. This is almost certainly going to end up the best game of 2019 for me.

Also, it’s something I’d encourage all of you guys currently struggling with Red Dead 2 to check out. It’s a good story with great cutscenes, voice acting and characterisation, told within 8-9 hours, with really great, tight and precise controls. It’s an interesting pallet cleanser in terms of single player games from something like RDR2.

On 22/01/2019 at 18:37, Chris_B_SWFC said:

Sounds really good, but they screwed up the scenarios. They’re still there but playing Leon A unlocks Leon B, not Claire B as it should be. 

@sheffield_dave I was wrong here. IGN where I read that have edited their review, looks like you can go right to Claire B. 

Incredible game. Absolutely loving it. Just switched back to Leon after Ada and I can’t wait to get home tonight for another go. 

Just goes to show a games length isn’t everything. I can acknowledge that RDR2 is a great game, but I’m having twice as much fun with this. 

Having grown up with survival horror games it's nice to have a modern game where zombies aren't a joke again. The atmosphere is perfect and crushing at times, zombies are difficult to kill and managing resources actually matters.

Just completed my third run. Have now done Leon A & B, and Claire A.

Have yet to touch Hardcore mode or attempt a speed run, and I haven’t unlocked any additional weapons yet.

This is an incredible game, it really is. Every time I’ve finished a run I’ve rolled straight into another New Game. And as above, even at 3 games so far I don’t feel done by any stretch. The way the original RE games were designed makes replays so rewarding, but here the combat, controls and basic gameplay loop is just so satisfying I can’t help but jump straight back in. 

Edited by sheffield_dave

For me this is better than the original. It's way more terrifying and atmospheric, I'd love to actually finish at least one playthrough but the fact I've wasted bullets has made it way harder.

On 02/02/2019 at 21:59, adzz said:

For me this is better than the original. It's way more terrifying and atmospheric, I'd love to actually finish at least one playthrough but the fact I've wasted bullets has made it way harder.

Nowhere near as impactful as the original was in 98'.  The original changed the face of gaming and defined an era.  This does neither.

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:25, SPQR-10 said:

Nowhere near as impactful as the original was in 98'.  The original changed the face of gaming and defined an era.  This does neither.

I don't think a game has to be more impactful or define anything to be a better game than an original. All that matters is that it's more enjoyable to the person who plays it and sticks to the genre rather than creating a legacy, whether it creates one or not is completely irrelevant when deciding how good a game is. We've also not had any true survival horror games in years which is pretty sad to be honest. I only hope it sells well enough.

We simply don't know the impact of the game yet. There is talk that Capcom could switch the viewpoint of RE8 back to third person based on the success of RE2, as well as still work with genuine survival horror. We also don't know to what extent this game influences others. We can safely assume RE3 happens as a direct result. Do Capcom also greenlight Dino Crisis, either remakes or new games? Do EA resurrect Dead Space? Do Konami (or somebody else) pick Silent Hill back off the floor?

RE2 didn't need to be impactful or industry changing because that's not what remakes are for. All it needed to be was a faithful re-imagining of a classic to please both old fans and new, and it's absolutely nailed that. If it does that and has wider implications on what else we play over the next 4-5 years, then it would be unprecedented as far as remakes or remasters go. 

9 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

We simply don't know the impact of the game yet. There is talk that Capcom could switch the viewpoint of RE8 back to third person based on the success of RE2, as well as still work with genuine survival horror. We also don't know to what extent this game influences others. We can safely assume RE3 happens as a direct result. Do Capcom also greenlight Dino Crisis, either remakes or new games? Do EA resurrect Dead Space? Do Konami (or somebody else) pick Silent Hill back off the floor?

RE2 didn't need to be impactful or industry changing because that's not what remakes are for. All it needed to be was a faithful re-imagining of a classic to please both old fans and new, and it's absolutely nailed that. If it does that and has wider implications on what else we play over the next 4-5 years, then it would be unprecedented as far as remakes or remasters go. 

I actually said to my missus about a Dead Space reboot while I was playing this. Don’t trust EA not to mess it up though. 

I’ve finished Leon A and Claire B now, and that’s me done. Little interest in going back for a third time as I felt the A and B scenarios were far too similar, and I’m not bothered about hardcore difficulty or speed runs. 

And that’s where my criticism of this game ends. I loved every single second.

Mr. X was horrible. Just awful. Hated him, and loved hating him. I wish he was able to follow you into any room to be honest. Makes me giddy for the Nemesis in the now inevitable RE3 remake.

The zombies were actually scary again. You had to think about every single one. Do you risk leaving them walking and potentially getting blocked in somewhere? Do you take a couple of shots and hope to god for that head explosion, or save your precious bullets? 

Definite contender for my GOTY already.  

Like I said above, excited for RE3 now but I don’t think it can top this for me as I didn’t play the original anywhere near as much as this. 

It’s weird with Mr X. My stress levels absolutely rocketed when he was around on the first play through. On subsequent play throughs, once you learn where he can and can’t go, how to lose him etc.. he becomes much less of a threat.

I need to play Hardcore mode to bring back some of that anxiety that makes the first play through of an RE game so special. 

Ive also shelved the game for now, although I’ll be back. REmake is a timeless experience for me that I’ll probably continue to play every couple of years for the rest of my life. Can see this being the same.

No, it didn't.

I love the original RE2, but the first RE was far more impactful.

RE2 was a superb sequel, but it's main contribution was upping the action content (something which certain RE fans always moan about re: later entries, but seem to completely forget).

How on earth you expect a remake to be defining or "changing" the face of gaming is completely beyond me.

On 02/02/2019 at 00:56, sheffield_dave said:

Just completed my third run. Have now done Leon A & B, and Claire A.

Have yet to touch Hardcore mode or attempt a speed run, and I haven’t unlocked any additional weapons yet.

This is an incredible game, it really is. Every time I’ve finished a run I’ve rolled straight into another New Game. And as above, even at 3 games so far I don’t feel done by any stretch. The way the original RE games were designed makes replays so rewarding, but here the combat, controls and basic gameplay loop is just so satisfying I can’t help but jump straight back in. 

I am still dreaming of having the amount of free time you have to spend games :manager:

Have just started on Leon A.

It's a bit intense.

From what I've read on here, it's important to conserve ammo. I've noticed that you can sneak around the zombies and also the lickers. 

Trying to only do head shots when possible. 

It's a stunning looking game. Not going to lie, was a teensy bit disappointed that you get to the police station so quickly.

19 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I am still dreaming of having the amount of free time you have to spend games :manager:

Barely any, believe me.

RE2 is a short game, and I enjoy speed running the RE games. After your first play through, RE2 can be reliably finished in a little over 4 hours, without speed running. You can get that down to 2-3 by speed running. Really good speed runners currently have it down to between 1-2 hours to do the whole thing.

Reyt...

Completed scenario A in Leon. 

Main thoughts: 

- For the most part, a really good game. Looks great, like the voice acting. The use of light/darkness, stealth, sound etc. certainly adds an extra dimension of play which I can't recall being present on previous RE games. 

- Conserving ammo is an absolute must, certainly in the police station. Became quite adept at headshots. 

- Mr X is probably the best (and likewise the most infuriating) part of the game. Genuinely quite scary when you properly encounter him for the first time and it quickly dawns on you that he can show up in most places within the police station. 

- Bit disappointed that they decided to cut straight to the police station. Would have liked to of seen them reimagine that opening 15 or so minutes from the original which goes from the car crash, to KENDO gun store, to the smashed up bus etc. 

- Didn't think too much of the boss fights. I suppose they weren't all that amazing in the original RE2. 

Now onto scenario B with Claire.