Agnew on recruitment

13 minutes ago, mike312 said:

I played rb all my career and I am 5 foot 4 which as we all know, is the perfect height. 6ft 4 is a bit tall but if he's athletic, can tackle, has good positional play and can cross a ball he is ok by me.

I guess, but maybe it’s his height that makes him look slightly ungainly in certain situations

19 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Because we havent even started rebuilding the team yet, FFP sanctions arent in place yet. The turmoil hasnt begun in my opinion. Changing the manager was the easy bit. 

Cripes. 

FPP sanctions are definitely happening then.  Send us the proof.

CC took a new team to the playoffs in one season, but you say Bruce can't do that in 18 months.

Turmoil  ? WTF was the last 12 months.

If your morose predictions are correct, there's no point anyone turning up next year then.

WTF:

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Cripes. 

FPP sanctions are definitely happening then.  Send us the proof.

CC took a new team to the playoffs in one season, but you say Bruce can't do that in 18 months.

The turnoil ? WTF was the last 12 months.

No point anyone turning up next year then.

WTF:

Thats my opinion, turmoil hasnt started yet. We will be losing about 10 or 12 players at the end of the season. FFP penalties will happen unless we grow some magic beans. Thats what i think yes.

We NEED to offload a few just to freshen things up. It's alright DC wanting to keep the squad together but it went stale a long time ago. Personally I'd offload several of those whose contracts end in the summer for nominal fees and also FF, Reach,  and Van Aken. Im confident SB with 20 million in his pocket would make us a stronger unit overall. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy logics said:

We NEED to offload a few just to freshen things up. It's alright DC wanting to keep the squad together but it went stale a long time ago. Personally I'd offload several of those whose contracts end in the summer for nominal fees and also FF, Reach,  and Van Aken. Im confident SB with 20 million in his pocket would make us a stronger unit overall. 

We have sold 8 players in last 8 seasons for any money. Previous to Hunt it was stevie may and some LB i cant remember. We have a long way to go

9 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Thats my opinion, turmoil hasnt started yet. We will be losing about 10 or 12 players at the end of the season. FFP penalties will happen unless we grow some magic beans. Thats what i think yes.

I'm sure the new management team would not have come if things are as bad as you predict.

My glass remains half full.

14 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Fair enough, time will tell. Hope im wrong but i believe we are well in the mire.

Whilst I agree things with regards FFP don’t sound good at all would we really spend a reported 2 million a year on wages for Bruce? It just seems a strange thing to do if things are as bad as we are made to believe. 

9 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Whilst I agree things with regards FFP don’t sound good at all would we really spend a reported 2 million a year on wages for Bruce? It just seems a strange thing to do if things are as bad as we are made to believe. 

Yes it is strange. However the numbers in the accounts dont lie.

57 minutes ago, np pontefract said:

Well I'm no Financial Expert, but I have read many Accounts in my time and can honestly say, that they don't necessarily,  tell the whole Truth, either.

Right. So we dont have a massive gap between spend and income?

1 hour ago, np pontefract said:

Well I'm no Financial Expert, but I have read many Accounts in my time and can honestly say, that they don't necessarily,  tell the whole Truth, either.

Another way of looking at it, if we dont have any financial issued at all why arent we signing players we really need in order to get promoted? Why have we signed only one player permanently in the last two windows for a relative pittance? Are we just saving our money for a rainy day?

Why do we have to keep signing players when we have so much talent on the books?  We have successful U18 & U23 squads. The time has come to get some of these playing a part in the First team, and please, please do not play the 'they're too young, or too inexperienced' card.  Liverpool, a team vying with Premiership hopes, brought on a replacemen for a major player after about 25 mins against Wolves. The lad was not yet SEVENTEEN years old, and played like a veteran, while one of their 'names', an English international, played worse than some of our much maligned backs.

Not only has our new Manager, who will have to carry any can for lack of performance, and has not even put his foot through the door, not had time to assess his FIRST team, let alone his youth sides, had time to scout for players to improve his hand, we are wanting to defy FFP.

Would that our fans who want to buy and sell like Market traders came up with the wherewithal to do such spending.

As for the mess of FFP, we hear a lot about the financial plight of Bolton, but little about our own. Are we better at concealing our plight?

Personally I would rather the club don’t just sign players for the sake of it this transfer window. The season is pretty much gone (we aren’t going up and we aren’t going down). If a player comes up that will benefit us long term then yeah let’s go and get him. The remainder of this season should be used for Steve Bruce to analyse the squad and to work out what needs to be done to give us a chance next season. Let’s take this opportunity to look at 1 or 2 of the U18/U23 lads. I would imagine lads like Shaw, Rice, Hagan, Dawouda (spelling?)warrant a look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

Why do we have to keep signing players when we have so much talent on the books?  We have successful U18 & U23 squads. The time has come to get some of these playing a part in the First team, and please, please do not play the 'they're too young, or too inexperienced' card.  Liverpool, a team vying with Premiership hopes, brought on a replacemen for a major player after about 25 mins against Wolves. The lad was not yet SEVENTEEN years old, and played like a veteran, while one of their 'names', an English international, played worse than some of our much maligned backs.

Not only has our new Manager, who will have to carry any can for lack of performance, and has not even put his foot through the door, not had time to assess his FIRST team, let alone his youth sides, had time to scout for players to improve his hand, we are wanting to defy FFP.

Would that our fans who want to buy and sell like Market traders came up with the wherewithal to do such spending.

As for the mess of FFP, we hear a lot about the financial plight of Bolton, but little about our own. Are we better at concealing our plight?

There's plenty of financial experts on here, let's leave it to them to tell us.

22 hours ago, stocksyuto said:

You know like carvahal kept banging on about Rhodes not being possible as we were not in that sort of market and boom 2 weeks later signs

Carlos was right. We weren’t in that sort of market and it’s stifled us ever since. Not the only signing to do this mind

34 minutes ago, wmb said:

Personally I would rather the club don’t just sign players for the sake of it this transfer window. The season is pretty much gone (we aren’t going up and we aren’t going down). If a player comes up that will benefit us long term then yeah let’s go and get him. The remainder of this season should be used for Steve Bruce to analyse the squad and to work out what needs to be done to give us a chance next season. Let’s take this opportunity to look at 1 or 2 of the U18/U23 lads. I would imagine lads like Shaw, Rice, Hagan, Dawouda (spelling?)warrant a look.

Agreed, but we do need to sell

36 minutes ago, wmb said:

I agree we should only be looking to sign players this month with long term plans. Even if that’s loans with view to buy in the summer.

The more I think about it the more I feel we are a fantastic prospect for a manager like Bruce, as come the summer half the squad may be gone and he has an exciting youth team to work with too. As well as bringing in some shrewd signings. Can’t wait 

2 hours ago, billyblack said:

Another way of looking at it, if we dont have any financial issued at all why arent we signing players we really need in order to get promoted? Why have we signed only one player permanently in the last two windows for a relative pittance? Are we just saving our money for a rainy day?

Steve Bruce wouldn't come within a million miles of the football club you're describing.

• Like 3