Agnew on recruitment

Guest Kameron

Given our issues with FFP why is anyone surprised?  It will be the summer when contracts expire when the major changes come.  Unless we get a very decent offer for reach I would expect much movement during this transfer window.

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

Agreed. He wouldn't have taken the job it wasn't able to strengthen the team.

This is how I see things too.

He may have looked at the squad and thought, actually there are some good players here, but I really cant see him taking the job without agreeing he can bring a few players in and by a few I mean 2 or 3.

He certainly has better contacts and more respect in the English game than recent managers and will be able to attract players who under our current position may have turned us down.

I am now looking forward to the future again.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

Don’t actually think we need many changes. Will be quite happy with three, even two if that’s two new full backs. No point bringing players in on loan unless it’s with a view to signing in the summer, so that narrows it down straight away and any full transfers are going to be limited by finance, so it will be difficult to improve drastically on what we have. 

We have hardly any goals in us , surely a creative player is a must or at least a replacement for Onomah!

There is no chance Steve Bruce is here to manage on a shoestring. I think we can fairly safely assume that a bit of tweaking has been done in order to give us some leeway. After all, Mr Chansiri himself stated we would be in trouble if we didn’t go up this year. I’ve been a big critic of his, but he’s put the first steps in place towards turning this ship around, appointing an experienced and proven manager for this league.

2 minutes ago, Castleford Owl said:

There is no chance Steve Bruce is here to manage on a shoestring. I think we can fairly safely assume that a bit of tweaking has been done in order to give us some leeway. After all, Mr Chansiri himself stated we would be in trouble if we didn’t go up this year. I’ve been a big critic of his, but he’s put the first steps in place towards turning this ship around, appointing an experienced and proven manager for this league.

This.

Had Bruce turned up at S6 and Mr Chansiri said he had to work with what he'd got, Bruce would have been out the place and straight to a club who would back him.

3 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

If he knew anything he wouldn't let it out of the bag, he dodged the question nicely

Hope so because we need £20 million cash by end of May for FFP.

Would be great if we now start to find some top young replacements that we can develop into fine  players.

Even a couple like a Brunt or Madjid would be nice.

Edited by fred mciver

3 hours ago, Plonk said:

Don’t actually think we need many changes. Will be quite happy with three, even two if that’s two new full backs. No point bringing players in on loan unless it’s with a view to signing in the summer, so that narrows it down straight away and any full transfers are going to be limited by finance, so it will be difficult to improve drastically on what we have. 

Even if we only bring in 2 or 3, and I’d also be happy with that, we also probably will need to get the same amount out. So that’s six deals that would have to be done. That’s without sending any of the youngsters out on loan, something we really ought to be doing. The thing is, in the same article, Agnew says he hasn’t had any contact with Bruce, or the chairman about this, so basically, it’s a nothing story, again

17 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Hope so because we need £20 million cash by end of May for FFP.

Would be great if we now start to find some top young replacements that we can develop into fine  players.

Even a couple like a Brunt or Madjid would be nice.

Bruce wouldn't have put his reputation on the line by coming here unless he was promised signings

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

1 hour ago, Kameron said:

Given our issues with FFP why is anyone surprised?  It will be the summer when contracts expire when the major changes come.  Unless we get a very decent offer for reach I would expect much movement during this transfer window.

We wait till the summer and we will be able to sign zero players due to the embargo we will be under for breaking losses again. that's why these next few weeks are so important to the club for the next 18 months.

21 minutes ago, OohAahGuyWhittingham said:

I can't see anyone coming in unless perhaps a cheap replacement if we sell one of our top assets. Owners of football clubs simply do not spend money on players when the club is up for sale, unless you look like you're going down.

But they spend money on high profile managers who are known to like to have money to spend?

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

Too many dreamers, cant spend means no transfers unless we sell. Thats the reality.

All the more reason to get on with it Plenty of players can go out, we just need to be more proactive in getting them out

3 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

He also said he didnt think there would be many changes.......................hopefully there is something happening and he is just downplaying it.

Only a couple of signings I'm afraid.

Some foreigners called Messi and Hazard