Rhodes

Guest The Claw
Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Why?

He's not done anything to make a return next season unthinkable, has he?

You obviously we're not at the forum bud

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

His first goal since?

He doesn’t even start for Norwich. Bit part player off the bench. Was a bonkers signing and the more he scores for Norwich the better for us. 

He's scored 9 goals this season despite being an impact sub, more than any of ours. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Walt said:

Not one person would be making excuses for Rhodes if they had only seen his time at Wednesday and did not know anything about his past. I reckon 80% of his displays for us have been non league standard. The bloke has shown nothing, absolutely nothing, I'd expect something, at least one part of his game to be decent...it flipping well should be for circa £7,000,000 but no he's lacking in every department. 

A one dimensional player then who thrives from crosses put into the box and the ball being played early. Well I spent one match just watching Rhode, I counted the crosses we put into the box...I stopped counting in the first half when the total was ten (of the ten, seven were decent, three were so so) and Rhodes had headed into the keepers arms from 5 yards when it was easier to score, duck under one, yep he actually ducked out of the way and was nowhere near the rest. The same game I saw Reach play two through balls to him where he was favourite only for him to be out paced by the centre back, Reach then later looked up and so Rhodes in a similar position and Reach refused the simple through ball as he knew Rhodes would not get there. Another through ball played Rhodes in, one half decent touch and he's around the centre back who's already gambled and he's one v one with the 'keeper...Rhodes falls over when he tries to control the ball. Utter garbage. I come home from the game and read the comments on here and they still bang on about not playing to his strengths ...what more does he need, put on a plate 2 yards out?

I did the same with Hooper (just watched him) when he first arrived and was not scoring. He was always on the shoulder of the centre back making the early runs for the first time through ball...they never came as we would rather play the sideways / backwards pass. You could see Hooper was pissed off and let his teammates know about it but it made no difference it was like we'd been pre programmed not to play the early ball. It took Hooper a few games of being pissed off, not getting the ball when he wanted that he altered his game, he started to play as a no.10 and not a no.9, it was clearly visible, instead of making the early run he'd come deep and as if by magic would receive the ball, play a give and go and be off on his way, he then expanded on this play so much so that he became a key element in how we played. The funny thing I noticed was that the players were looking up to see where Hooper was and would now play the early through ball when he had not dropped deep.

One player had the ability to make the team play to his tune, the other, well he just looked pretty crap with a shed load of excuses. 

Agree totally with this. Hooper is a massive loss, best striker we’ve had for a long time when fit. 

7 hours ago, s6 owl said:

Shocking all round footballer why on earth would we want to build a team around a striker with such little ability? Don't give me that he's a goalscorer bulls**t either because he certainly isn't that anymore.

I'm certainly not saying we should build a team around him, but averaging a goal every 153 minutes of Championship football so far for Norwich would suggest he's not entirely lost his goal scoring instincts.

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

We didn’t create anything at Hull. We have other strikers who can score but if you don’t get the ball into them much that means nothing. 

Rhodes would’ve looked completely redundant 

And therein lies the problem. That first season under Carlos we had Ross Wallace more often than not hogging the right touchline with the ability to come inside on to that wand of a left foot. We also had Jack Hunt bombing on in front of him almost at will. As a striker you knew the ball was going to come into the box from that side.

Down the other side it was a combination of Pudil-Bannan/Lee. Pudil that season was immense but unfortunately he only had the fitness to do this role for one season only.

Since then we haven’t been as fluent going forward. We got away with it in the second season because the quality of our players was still there and they played often but last season and this it’s been a struggle because players have been unavailable for significant periods. (Lee, Hooper, Forrestieri) or left the club (Wallace, Loovens, Hunt).

I think it’s pretty obvious that we need a huge overhaul of the squad and the size of the job may shock Bruce when he finally gets here. As I’ve said before the midfield balance is all wrong and this is an area which needs sorting asap. The full-backs don’t supply what you expect from the modern day full-backs, that’s decent service for the forwards as well as decent defending.

You could argue that we need to look at central defence too? Hector’s only here on Loan and I think Lees has become stale and needs a move?

As for the forwards, they’re all capable of scoring goals but not as many as we probably need them to.

A big job ahead for Bruce and Co but the first task is to get as many good results as possible to get safe as it could get nervous for us again if we don’t pick up soon.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

On 10/01/2019 at 23:11, notts0wl said:

No, 5 goals in last 24 games.. He's never shown anywhere near the right potential.. time to move on and forget about that waste of money. 

He's scored 6 in 25 (inc 16 as sub) and 9 in all competitions, which is one goal every 122 minutes on the pitch

I must say that,s really sh.t isn't it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

And therein lies the problem. That first season under Carlos we had Ross Wallace more often than not hogging the right touchline with the ability to come inside on to that wand of a left foot. We also had Jack Hunt bombing on in front of him almost at will. As a striker you knew the ball was going to come into the box from that side.

Down the other side it was a combination of Pudil-Bannan/Lee. Pudil that season was immense but unfortunately he only had the fitness to do this role for one season only.

Since then we haven’t been as fluent going forward. We got away with it in the second season because the quality of our players was still there and they played often but last season and this it’s been a struggle because players have been unavailable for significant periods. (Lee, Hooper, Forrestieri) or left the club (Wallace, Loovens, Hunt).

I think it’s pretty obvious that we need a huge overhaul of the squad and the size of the job may shock Bruce when he finally gets here. As I’ve said before the midfield balance is all wrong and this is an area which needs sorting asap. The full-backs don’t supply what you expect from the modern day full-backs, that’s decent service for the forwards as well as decent defending.

You could argue that we need to look at central defence too? Hector’s only here on Loan and I think Lees has become stale and needs a move?

As for the forwards, they’re all capable of scoring goals but not as many as we probably need them to.

A big job ahead for Bruce and Co but the first task is to get as many good results as possible to get safe as it could get nervous for us again if we don’t pick up soon.

Great post !

• Thanks 1

Guest The Claw
17 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

No, I wasn't.

What was said?

DC was in full swing and said quite a few things - not my place to make public.