Rhodes

8 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Wheres the rumour come from that Bruce wanted to sign Rhodes for Villa come from?

Rhodes was already at S6 when Bruce took over at Villa, I can't remember any stories linking him with Villa since we signed him.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/08/09/report-aston-villa-plot-another-move-for-sheffield-wednesday-ace/
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jordan-rhodes-aston-villas-hopes-12526325

Edited by Arnold

Boo Hoo !! Boo hooo !!  I can't take a penalty !! booo hooo !!  WTF !!

A professional striker refusing to take a penalty for the club that pays him thousands a week.
He lost even the most ardent supporters that day.

Good riddance to the has been, lived on his name and never wanted him here in the first place.
As so correctly said above. Boro must have laughed their socks off.

5 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

A professional striker refusing to take a penalty for the club that pays him thousands a week.

Good riddance to the has been, lived on his name and never wanted him here in the first place.

It always struck me that the reason he didn't take a penalty was because it was against his hero status first club ? He didn't want to be a cause of them being defeated in such a direct way as scoring a penalty in a shootout. Think he shaart his lot with us that day imo.

21 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

It always struck me that the reason he didn't take a penalty was because it was against his hero status first club ? He didn't want to be a cause of them being defeated in such a direct way as scoring a penalty in a shootout. Think he shaart his lot with us that day imo.

Incorrect, he didn't want to take a peno cos he's a nesh. No bottle. 

38 minutes ago, longreach said:

Based on what?  Conjecture, rumour, actual facts?

Based on the fact he's a professional striker that normally takes penalties and cared more about his former club than the one he was supposed to be playing for.

An abject bottling wrapped in kids gloves pile of crap for this club.

22 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Based on the fact he's a professional striker that normally takes penalties and cared more about his former club than the one he was supposed to be playing for.

An abject bottling wrapped in kids gloves pile of crap for this club.

So conjecture then.

It’s very easy to write off £10 million worth of someone else’s money, he’s a challenge alright, but I reckon that SB is up to it. He’s already proved what he can do, I would have preferred him to go out on a shorter loan to say, a Dutch or German second tier club, where he wasn’t known, it appears to be all about expectation, the supporters expect him to be poor, and he goes on to prove them correct, just remember how Fergie instilled confidence into Andy Cole, wasn’t SB around at the time?

Despite being convinced that Rhodes wasn’t right for Wednesday, I can’t hold him culpable for not wanting to take that penalty If he wasn’t confident, then it’s better that he didn’t take it We’ve all seen players displaying the wrong body language as they step up to the spot You just know what’s going to happen

Still quite funny reading this kind of thread with people saying he’s crap, can’t score in this division, not a keen day striker etc etc

SWFC top scorer is Lucas Joao with a total of 8 goals with Reach getting 6

Rhodes has got 8 and he’s not even first choice. Still think played in the right team and right formation he will get you 15 goals a season at least

Not one person would be making excuses for Rhodes if they had only seen his time at Wednesday and did not know anything about his past. I reckon 80% of his displays for us have been non league standard. The bloke has shown nothing, absolutely nothing, I'd expect something, at least one part of his game to be decent...it flipping well should be for circa £7,000,000 but no he's lacking in every department. 

A one dimensional player then who thrives from crosses put into the box and the ball being played early. Well I spent one match just watching Rhode, I counted the crosses we put into the box...I stopped counting in the first half when the total was ten (of the ten, seven were decent, three were so so) and Rhodes had headed into the keepers arms from 5 yards when it was easier to score, duck under one, yep he actually ducked out of the way and was nowhere near the rest. The same game I saw Reach play two through balls to him where he was favourite only for him to be out paced by the centre back, Reach then later looked up and so Rhodes in a similar position and Reach refused the simple through ball as he knew Rhodes would not get there. Another through ball played Rhodes in, one half decent touch and he's around the centre back who's already gambled and he's one v one with the 'keeper...Rhodes falls over when he tries to control the ball. Utter garbage. I come home from the game and read the comments on here and they still bang on about not playing to his strengths ...what more does he need, put on a plate 2 yards out?

I did the same with Hooper (just watched him) when he first arrived and was not scoring. He was always on the shoulder of the centre back making the early runs for the first time through ball...they never came as we would rather play the sideways / backwards pass. You could see Hooper was pissed off and let his teammates know about it but it made no difference it was like we'd been pre programmed not to play the early ball. It took Hooper a few games of being pissed off, not getting the ball when he wanted that he altered his game, he started to play as a no.10 and not a no.9, it was clearly visible, instead of making the early run he'd come deep and as if by magic would receive the ball, play a give and go and be off on his way, he then expanded on this play so much so that he became a key element in how we played. The funny thing I noticed was that the players were looking up to see where Hooper was and would now play the early through ball when he had not dropped deep.

One player had the ability to make the team play to his tune, the other, well he just looked pretty crap with a shed load of excuses. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

To be fair to him he is dog poo at pens so probably just thought he would miss anyway. 

23 minutes ago, Walt said:

Not one person would be making excuses for Rhodes if they had only seen his time at Wednesday and did not know anything about his past. I reckon 80% of his displays for us have been non league standard. The bloke has shown nothing, absolutely nothing, I'd expect something, at least one part of his game to be decent...it flipping well should be for circa £7,000,000 but no he's lacking in every department. 

A one dimensional player then who thrives from crosses put into the box and the ball being played early. Well I spent one match just watching Rhode, I counted the crosses we put into the box...I stopped counting in the first half when the total was ten (of the ten, seven were decent, three were so so) and Rhodes had headed into the keepers arms from 5 yards when it was easier to score, duck under one, yep he actually ducked out of the way and was nowhere near the rest. The same game I saw Reach play two through balls to him where he was favourite only for him to be out paced by the centre back, Reach then later looked up and so Rhodes in a similar position and Reach refused the simple through ball as he knew Rhodes would not get there. Another through ball played Rhodes in, one half decent touch and he's around the centre back who's already gambled and he's one v one with the 'keeper...Rhodes falls over when he tries to control the ball. Utter garbage. I come home from the game and read the comments on here and they still bang on about not playing to his strengths ...what more does he need, put on a plate 2 yards out?

I did the same with Hooper (just watched him) when he first arrived and was not scoring. He was always on the shoulder of the centre back making the early runs for the first time through ball...they never came as we would rather play the sideways / backwards pass. You could see Hooper was pissed off and let his teammates know about it but it made no difference it was like we'd been pre programmed not to play the early ball. It took Hooper a few games of being pissed off, not getting the ball when he wanted that he altered his game, he started to play as a no.10 and not a no.9, it was clearly visible, instead of making the early run he'd come deep and as if by magic would receive the ball, play a give and go and be off on his way, he then expanded on this play so much so that he became a key element in how we played. The funny thing I noticed was that the players were looking up to see where Hooper was and would now play the early through ball when he had not dropped deep.

One player had the ability to make the team play to his tune, the other, well he just looked pretty crap with a shed load of excuses. 

Bravo that man.