Rhodes

21 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Got more goals this season than any of our players to be fair. 

A more meaningful comparison would be when he was in the same team as the rest of them last year and was outscored (pro rata) by all of them, even Nuhiu.

You reckon Joao, Forestieri, Winnall and Fletcher in particular wouldn't have scored at a similar (or better) rate in that Norwich team? And 3 of Rhodes' goals this season came against a mid table League One team.

I would love him to come back and start scoring..but I doubt it.

Wednesday fans gave and seem to still give Rhodes the benefit of the doubt...EVERYONE wanted it to come off...not least because of the price we paid for him, allied to the fact we shouted for him, further allied to the fact that we even got the blame for signing him!

It didn't work..We mostly thought it was down to the other bloody 10 players on the pitch....excuses excuses...

Sometimes it simply doesn't work...Torres and Schevcenko at Chelsea for instance.

Rumours of bullying in the dressing room?..We honestly don't know do we..He doesn't want to come back?

Well if asked by a Norwich reporter he's hardly likely to say..

"Yea I can't wait, Norwich is f.ookin' sheeitehole"... is he?"

He had far more leeway than Nuhiu has ever got....Winnal has hardly had a decent chance....Would you swap him for Fletcher or Joao?...I wouldn't

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

A more meaningful comparison would be when he was in the same team as the rest of them last year and was outscored (pro rata) by all of them, even Nuhiu.

You reckon Joao, Forestieri, Winnall and Fletcher in particular wouldn't have scored at a similar (or better) rate in that Norwich team? And 3 of Rhodes' goals this season came against a mid table League One team.

I'm not making any points when i said that. I don't think Rhodes did well for us and his signing is a huge disappointment from all perspectives but it is a fact he has put the ball away more than anyone on our team. Maybe Bruce can bring him back in next year.

Not sure if this has already been talked about. Seeing Norwich at the top got me thinking if we could have put a clause in his loan deal that they had to buy him should they get promoted, I know people might think that’s crazy but before the start of the season I don’t think anyone would have thought they would be there or there abouts so perhaps would have gone with it because promotion seemed so distant , and I’m more confident that Katrien would do something like that than before she turned up, or maybe I’m clutching.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2019 at 18:34, TheEnchanter said:

I'm not making any points when i said that. I don't think Rhodes did well for us and his signing is a huge disappointment from all perspectives but it is a fact he has put the ball away more than anyone on our team. Maybe Bruce can bring him back in next year.

Francis jeffers was good once

It got me thinking, if we are forced to take Rhodes back next season, how do we best use him. Looking at what he does for Norwich, his limitations as a player remain He cannot be integrated into the starting eleven, because his all round game isn’t good enough for the way the game is played today. 

The way that Norwich mainly use him, is bringing him on for the last ten minutes. He is rarely brought on when the game is still in the balance, preferring to introduce him when they are striving for the win, or when the game is won That suggests to me that, his overall contribution is not right for the team dynamic. To be honest, this is nothing new, that much was obvious to me before we signed him, and soon became clear to the majority of Wednesday fans, once they saw him in a Wednesday shirt. So, the best we can hope for, is for him to replicate his super sub role he has at Norwich. I can remember ALF carving himself a similar niche at Reading. It’s actually the role Rhodes had when he was at Hillsborough, but I suppose the main difference was, the pressure. Because of the size of the fee, people expected him to be leading our attack, and when that didn’t happen, the pressure started to build. That pressure isn’t there at Norwich, as he’s only a loan signing It may also be, that he has now accepted his role. That role can also benefit us next season, as regular goals from the bench can be extremely useful

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It got me thinking, if we are forced to take Rhodes back next season, how do we best use him. Looking at what he does for Norwich, his limitations as a player remain He cannot be integrated into the starting eleven, because his all round game isn’t good enough for the way the game is played today. 

The way that Norwich mainly use him, is bringing him on for the last ten minutes. He is rarely brought on when the game is still in the balance, preferring to introduce him when they are striving for the win, or when the game is won That suggests to me that, his overall contribution is not right for the team dynamic. To be honest, this is nothing new, that much was obvious to me before we signed him, and soon became clear to the majority of Wednesday fans, once they saw him in a Wednesday shirt. So, the best we can hope for, is for him to replicate his super sub role he has at Norwich. I can remember ALF carving himself a similar niche at Reading. It’s actually the role Rhodes had when he was at Hillsborough, but I suppose the main difference was, the pressure. Because of the size of the fee, people expected him to be leading our attack, and when that didn’t happen, the pressure started to build. That pressure isn’t there at Norwich, as he’s only a loan signing It may also be, that he has now accepted his role. That role can also benefit us next season, as regular goals from the bench can be extremely useful

Just do EVERYTHING we can to get rid.

Winnall can do this role you suggest and probably adds more to the team too.

8 minutes ago, torres said:

Just do EVERYTHING we can to get rid.

Winnall can do this role you suggest and probably adds more to the team too.

In an ideal world, we wouldn’t have signed either, Certainly I wouldn’t have. Think it will be almost impossible to get Rhodes out. He doesn’t have the ability to play regularly at this level, and no league one clubs could afford him, or his wages. We are stuck with him, as far as I can see, so I was just speculating on how we might best use him, but yes, get rid if we can

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:16, asteener1867 said:

I would love him to come back and start scoring..but I doubt it.

Wednesday fans gave and seem to still give Rhodes the benefit of the doubt...EVERYONE wanted it to come off...not least because of the price we paid for him, allied to the fact we shouted for him, further allied to the fact that we even got the blame for signing him!

It didn't work..We mostly thought it was down to the other bloody 10 players on the pitch....excuses excuses...

Sometimes it simply doesn't work...Torres and Schevcenko at Chelsea for instance.

Rumours of bullying in the dressing room?..We honestly don't know do we..He doesn't want to come back?

Well if asked by a Norwich reporter he's hardly likely to say..

"Yea I can't wait, Norwich is f.ookin' sheeitehole"... is he?"

He had far more leeway than Nuhiu has ever got....Winnal has hardly had a decent chance....Would you swap him for Fletcher or Joao?...I wouldn't

End of thread.

On 20/01/2019 at 15:00, SiJ said:

Problem with Rhodes is that if he isn't banging them in, then he doesn't really offer a whole lot more. 

A Nando, Fletcher, Joao etc might not always fire a goal in, but they may well create an opportunity for a teammate. 

In all fairness, when you look at the half-season after he joined in 2017, he scored the winning (i.e. go-ahead) goals against Birmingham and Norwich, and assisted the winning goals against Wigan (scored by Wallace), Cardiff (Forestieri) and QPR (Pudil). Those goals in isolation were 'worth' ten points in the race to get into the Play-offs. The other thing I noticed in the games he played for us, particularly early on, was that his presence was often a real concern for opposition defenders (presumably due to his previous reputation) and that would create openings for teammates.

And with the thing about him apparently refusing to take a penalty against Huddersfield, interestingly in the 2012 Play-off Final at Wembley against United he wasn't amongst the first five named takers either. He'd missed his previous penalty for us, so personally I'd much prefer a player who was feeling confident stepping up in a shoot-out than one who wasn't.

Everybody's disappointed in that he hasn't been anywhere near the success that we hoped for, but I've seen some people comparing his contribution with that of players like Jeffers and Bothroyd and I personally think that's ridiculous.

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

He is rarely brought on when the game is still in the balance, preferring to introduce him when they are striving for the win

isnt the game still in the balance when you're striving for the win?

not that i'm suggesting you talk a lot of b*ll*cks when it comes to rhodes or anything.  lol

On 20/01/2019 at 15:00, SiJ said:

Problem with Rhodes is that if he isn't banging them in, then he doesn't really offer a whole lot more. 

A Nando, Fletcher, Joao etc might not always fire a goal in, but they may well create an opportunity for a teammate. 

There is that but I think we’re desperate for a bog-liner who will get those little toe pokes aka the Gary Lineacher types. Whether Rhodes can be that striker I dunno, maybe Bruce can get the best out of him?

Edited by pgmetcalf

On 22/01/2019 at 17:28, BRUCE LEE said:

Not sure we’ll have any other option but to persist with him

Can’t imagine clubs will be forming an orderly queue for the lad this summer 

He's scored some pretty vital goals for Canaries this season, from bench.

Let's hope he sinks Blades soon to help send em outta pay off places . 

Edited by fred mciver

7 hours ago, fred mciver said:

He's scored some pretty vital goals for Canaries this season, from bench.

Let's hope he sinks Blades soon to help send em outta pay off places . 

I can see it. Norwich get a 90th minute penalty. Pig fans goad Rhodes, who then steps up and smashes the winner into the top right hand corner.

Would be nice.

1 minute ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

I can see it. Norwich get a 90th minute penalty. Pig fans goad Rhodes, who then steps up and smashes the winner into the top right hand corner.

Would be nice.

Really....Rhodes takes a penalty in that situation?...Must have grown in confidence then..........