Rhodes

9 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Some of us did - I did. I felt at the time we needed creativity rather than goal scoring prowess. 

As stated at the time:

On 02/02/2017 at 23:19, shandypants said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that we have signed the best forward in the championship based on the last three or four seasons, however, I'm gutted that we haven't brought in creative players. My fear is that Rhodes won't get the chances to convert into goals.

For the record: Jordan Rhodes will get my absolute full support as will Carlos. 

It looks like JR's career peaked between 2014-16, and he perhaps was on the downward curve when we bought him. The valuations throughout his career, like other players, doesn't always mirror this performance curve.

I do tend to agree that the modern game requires a different type of striker - more combative; pace; strength and movement, none of which JR really has. He's made a living hovering around the 6-20 yds area in the opposition's half waiting for balls played to him or picking up scraps. He's good at ghosting into decent positions to get a angle and makes space but I suspect the average Championship defender is better now than 3-5 yrs ago.

He was probably worth £4m in 2017 not £8m and like Abdi we've not only wasted a combined £12m on fees, we've bled probably a combined £60k/week or over £3m/annum in wages on these two alone.

3 minutes ago, Animis said:

It looks like JR's career peaked between 2014-16, and he perhaps was on the downward curve when we bought him. The valuations throughout his career, like other players, doesn't always mirror this performance curve.

I do tend to agree that the modern game requires a different type of striker - more combative; pace; strength and movement, none of which JR really has. He's made a living hovering around the 6-20 yds area in the opposition's half waiting for balls played to him or picking up scraps. He's good at ghosting into decent positions to get a angle and makes space but I suspect the average Championship defender is better now than 3-5 yrs ago.

He was probably worth £4m in 2017 not £8m and like Abdi we've not only wasted a combined £12m on fees, we've bled probably a combined £60k/week or over £3m/annum in wages on these two alone.

Agree , although for clarity I have nothing negative to say about either player. The were offered a move to S6 and agreed a contract. You check a car out properly before buying it.

8 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

...and at the time, hardly anyone questioned it.  

Tbf, the vast majority of fans aren't sat there pouring over the clubs accounts.

We were near the top of the division and seemingly riding a wave of momentum.

I do recall a number of fans questioning the need for signing Rhodes. I for one, whilst not against signing a player with Rhodes record, was somewhat baffled why we'd brought him in having just secured Winnall. 

Edited by SiJ

4 minutes ago, billyblack said:

I thought it was pontless after signing winnall

It was pointless because we were playing dull defensive Carlosball, and not creating enough chances although Hooper, Forestieri and Fletcher were bagging enough goals for us to pick up points. Also had Nuhiu as backup and as you say we then got Winnall at a bargain price. 

So why we then spunked so much on a clearly in decline Jordan Rhodes when we could have improved the team with 2-3 quality players for that price will forever be Chansiri's folly. 

8 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

He’s spent

Isn’t mobile enough - looks to me like a player with a slight knee concern...and for him that ability to make short, snap movements in the box has been damaged.

Got more goals this season than any of our players to be fair. 

Problem with Rhodes was that we bought him, then promptly stopped providing any kind of service to the front players. Which was unfathomable for anyone who has ever seen him play.

After that, because he was a high profile signing, drew the attention for the wrong reasons, lost his confidence and he was pretty much done when CC singled him out over the penalty incident, unfairly IMO.

Seems happier away from the club, as does our wage bill. Suits all parties if the move can be made permanent. 

It's similar to Torres when he went to Chelsea (on a lower scale obviously)

He had been on his way down for months before and everyone could see he wasn't the same player; but you hold the hope he's going to recapture that form...he didn't. He's finished

9 hours ago, billyblack said:

I thought it was pontless after signing winnall

So did I. Winnall was scoring regularly in our league in a lesser side. We should have altered subtly to play to Winnall’s strengths rather than spunking all our money on another forward. 

Problem with Rhodes is that if he isn't banging them in, then he doesn't really offer a whole lot more. 

A Nando, Fletcher, Joao etc might not always fire a goal in, but they may well create an opportunity for a teammate. 

Guest Bulgaria
19 hours ago, A12owl said:

I think he will go back to Huddersfield when they get relegated. I doubt their supporters would be disappointed at him rejoining them.

They will have the money. 

good shout is that.

Guest Bulgaria

Rhodes will know that his signing most likely pushed us into the bobar, coupled with Carlos going public on him with regards declining to take a pen in the playoffs, he will no doubt be feeling rather crappy at being at swfc.  He strikes me as a confidence player so....

I cant see him playing for us again.