The Star: Boyd's Turnaround

Guest LittleG
2 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Agree. Boyd for me is not the player he was and his legs have gone but he still does have something to offer as he has in the games he has played.

He might not be the player he was but his legs haven't gone, he does more running than anyone.

3 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Boyd came back into the side after injury last season shortly after Jos had been appointed and between then and the end of the season did well. I can’t understand why he was frozen out this? That said Lukuhay hit on a useful formula in the run-in last season and bizarrely discarded it this so strange decisions were par for the course with him :unsure:

Despite looking distinctly slow--presumably that's why Burnley let him go-he willingly played out of position at lw back for JL. Strange how he fell out of favour. Perhaps he asked to be played in his correct position after doing his bit, and was told he was too old and slow. Obviously the new management know him and like him but his lack of pace may yet be a problem. Mind you, he does look very slim this season.

13 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I'm not as down on Jos as others on here... but playing Boyd at left wing back was bloody mad.

At that stage, my memory is that JL was looking to find a volunteer who c/would do it when he launched three at the back and five in midfield. Even if Fox was fit at that time, Fox does not look as comfortable going over the halfway line. I think it was vs Bolton but Boyd scored a very handy goal from that position and has scored goals throughout his career.

1 hour ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I'm not as down on Jos as others on here... but playing Boyd at left wing back was bloody mad.

I know he’s gone but I hope he’s sat at home in Holland feeling a right tw*t at the mess he made of things whilst he was here

6 hours ago, Lee A said:

Looks like he's running through mud at times, but still probably covers more ground than anybody else.  

Real work horse, but as is the case with a lot of players we've had over the years, I wish we could have had him when he was 25 rather than coming to the end of his career. 

He has never been blessed with any pace. Live near Peterborough and saw him play regularly before his big move up the ladder - he played as a wide midfielder or usually in a free role with license to roam. 

Players like that should always be able to ‘play’ - as per Fabregas’s comments about his legs going - if utilised correctly.