A history of football's strangest shirt numbers

I seem to rememeber a bif of controversy about Gary Hooper wearing 88 for Septic, its a well known Neo Nazi term for Heil Hitler, due to the initials both being the 8th letter of the alphabet. 

Then he came here and wears number 14, which is another Neo Nazi term, relating to the '14 Words', written by deceased Neo Nazi David Lane. 

I dare say its total coincidence, but for shirt numbers, its a bit strange. 

1-11 as Snoots says. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

There was at least one Wembley FA Cup final, possibly more where allocated numbers for both squads was 1-22 with 22 being the opposite keeper.

1933. Everton vs. Manchester City.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

I actually like the squad numbers so that identification of players is easier from a distance. Though having said that I think numbers 1-11 should reflect the player's position.

<edit>

I am assuming that those that favour 'old school' numbering are advocating dishing out the shirts on a match by match basis.

Edited by OxonOwl

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

I am assuming that those that favour 'old school' numbering are advocating dishing out the shirts on a match by match basis.

No, your best 1-11 going into a season. Up to the higher numbers to force their way into the team and earn a first eleven berth for the following season. 

14 hours ago, lukestheman82 said:

I seem to rememeber a bif of controversy about Gary Hooper wearing 88 for Septic, its a well known Neo Nazi term for Heil Hitler, due to the initials both being the 8th letter of the alphabet. 

Then he came here and wears number 14, which is another Neo Nazi term, relating to the '14 Words', written by deceased Neo Nazi David Lane. 

I dare say its total coincidence, but for shirt numbers, its a bit strange. 

1-11 as Snoots says. 

Dont forget number 1, this is how many balls Hitler had, remember singing it as a lad.

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1