FA Cup Semi Final v Brighton 1983

Went with my Brother and Nephew, knew it was going to be a bad day when my car broke down just as we got on M1, AA towed car back home, too late for a train so started calling round to get cheap hire car and got a fiat panda from little car sales next to Hillsborough. Set off from there at 12pm and thrashed it down M1, top speed was about 90mph, parked on some back street near ground just made it in as they were kicking off. When we got back to car after game locals were having a right go about how and where we had parked car, something about Police were coming to remove it. Remember being very dissapointed after the game, thought we had blown a really good chance of a day out at a Cup Final.

10 hours ago, vulva said:

He was because it went in the top corner. 

Ha! So it did. 

Must have been the bouncing down off the bar I’d remembered (give me a break it was 35 years ago). 

One thing I do clearly remember is having a pathological hatred of Steve Foster. This was re-kindled when I watched their quarterfinal with Norwich the other night.  

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 23:02, Harrysgame said:

Never watched it back and never will, same as the Hull play off,  don't know why but guess disappointment. Funny thing is can watch the Arsenal final defeats.

I can't watch the semi final win over the pigs, I'll never look at it..... Was supposed to go with my mate ( He was a Newcastle fan, but was coming with me for the game ) and travelling down the day before from Lossiemouth.
Scotrail went on strike, so we never made it.  Paul went out that night and I stayed in sulking like buggery.

Paul died that night in a car crash, cracking young lad, great sportsman and Scotland rugby colts player.

Pauls_Grave.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Quality day out, crap result.

In the Park Hotel minibus on an M1 rammed with fans going down. Pub on Holloway next to KFC, made to climb flagpole outside boozer to tie our flag on it  " because I was in the forces " lol
Pissed as a tw@t and still can't remember the game. But can remember waving to all the coaches on Holloway that were passing. And some bloke with us, eating a full KFC bucket on his own

outside the Pub... quality day lol

I was drinking in a pub in Holloway....think it was called the Holloway inn....can't remember. Someone put Bananarama nah nah nah nah  on duke box and the place irrupted, Wednesday fans singing and standing on the bar waving flags, then the place got smashed up a bit and we left. Remember a guy stood on the pool table with his trousers round his ankles seemed to be conducting the fans!.....first time I heard the 1 banana 2 banana 3 banana song.

• Haha 2

Typical Wednesday. We had everything going for us that day. Fans optimistic and up for it. We took over 3 sides of Highbury. The only real bit Brighton had was the clock end and that was shibo anyway. In effect it was not disimilar to the Hull play off game at Wembley. No idea what had got into the players and Big Jacks head (over confident?) but we blew it big style. Iv'e learned the lesson since, never expect wednesday to do the expected.

We went by car to Cockfosters and then got the tube from there.  A great idea, until it turned out that about 12,000 Wednesdayites had done the same.

I remember being in a beer garden in a big pub which was full of Wednesday. @oldtawnyowl returned from the bar and somehow managed to get his leg stuck in one of those table bench things, fell flat on his back with two full pints in his hand and in true Yorkshireman style never spilled a drop.
  • Haha 1

We went by mini bus to Cockfosters. I was a nipper back then and not ashamed to admit I bawled my eyes out after the match. Only the 93 cup final replay was worse. We were all stood on the Northbank in the open bit about half way down next to the stand the Wednesday fans were in ( opposite the dug outs) When we scored I’ve never know scenes like it. My Dads mate had his brand new sunglasses knocked off and smashed in the melee. Maybe it’s my

memory playing tricks with me but I seem to recall Wednesday fans being allocated the side terrace in front of the Brighton stand and Brighton fans the same in front our stand??

As for the game, I Recall Wednesday not turning up and not playing great.

Was working in London at the time and couldn't get tickets. Discovered Brighton hadn't sold all theirs and some were on general sale. Took a half day off and went down to the Goldstone Ground on the train. Tried out my posh accent and bought two tickets.  A bit stupid really as half the queue seemed to be from Yorkshire.

Stood in the Brighton paddock right next to the fence to the North Bank.  All I remember is the massive wall of Wednesday fans packed solid, whereas we had so much space we could have sat and had a picnic. 

3 hours ago, alanharper said:
We went by car to Cockfosters and then got the tube from there.  A great idea, until it turned out that about 12,000 Wednesdayites had done the same.

I remember being in a beer garden in a big pub which was full of Wednesday. @oldtawnyowl returned from the bar and somehow managed to get his leg stuck in one of those table bench things, fell flat on his back with two full pints in his hand and in true Yorkshireman style never spilled a drop.

Yea, remember it well.

Also remember two mates jumping to their feet to rescue the pints before leaving me, lying flat out, to

clamber back to my feet unaided.lol

• Haha 1

On 09/01/2019 at 06:58, Ian_D said:

I went on the coach that day, my second time via coach, the first being away at Stoke (Banksie in the net, lost that one too.) My third and last time via coach was on the euro tour to Germany, another loss put paid to further coach trips. 

Was there that day too. My lads birthday but not old enough to go. Remember pitch being dry and dusty and thinking we would go on and win it after Mirosevic equalised but once again it was not to be (the story of a Wednesdayites life )

4 hours ago, Low Flying Owl said:

Was working in London at the time and couldn't get tickets. Discovered Brighton hadn't sold all theirs and some were on general sale. Took a half day off and went down to the Goldstone Ground on the train. Tried out my posh accent and bought two tickets.  A bit stupid really as half the queue seemed to be from Yorkshire.

Stood in the Brighton paddock right next to the fence to the North Bank.  All I remember is the massive wall of Wednesday fans packed solid, whereas we had so much space we could have sat and had a picnic. 

Yes, I also had a ticket for the Brighton end - The Clock End.

It was standing on the terrace in those days - not numbered seats - and I went along to the Highbury Ticket Office on the day of the game and managed to swop it for a Wednesday ticket for the North Bank without any real difficulty or questions asked. From memory, quite a few other people were there doing the same.

The rest is history - but it was a memorable day out nevertheless.

I always remember being disappointed with the North bank..The bloody steps were too shallow....you like sorta stood behind someone and gained no height...always liked Highbury...that game was crap though...never watched it back...never seen Lineghans goal in '93 on the telly, still think we are 2-0 up at halftime Wembley '66...

Went on Northbank 3/4 way up in the open air next to the side where the TV cameras were. So much anticipation that day, such a disappointment after.

Had a drink after we got back in the Penny Black, and a Blunt was revelling in our defeat. Bitter chuff.

Didn't see any trouble on the day, but can remember reading afterwards of heavy handed policing. An elderly Wednesdayite had apparently been arrested for nothing, and thrown face down into a police van.

Noticed the 83 Semi Final on BT Sport this week. Every night they've been working through re-runs of ITV's The Big Match from March in to April 1983. Eerie watching Brighton v Spurs 2 weeks before the Semi Final. Found myself jabbering at the TV telling Spurs players to take out Jimmy Case and MIchael Robinson...

Bit chilling to watch knowing what was coming shortly after. In 43 years of watching Wednesday, this is the game above all others I will never get over and still have dreams about to this day. Never known crushing disappointment like it.

It was such a beautiful spring day, we had the Cup Final being served up to us on a plate. I was so convinced we would win when we equalised. When Andy McCulloch headed the ball from Bannister's cross into the ground from close range with his nose, it bounced up and time stopped as Steve Foster bicycle kicked it off the line. I will wish for eternity that it had gone in.

On a beautiful spring day it still sometimes sends me back to that day. People like my Aunt Margaret who we loved so much, we spent the weekend with her family and ours in their house up on the hill in South London.  She is no longer here, been gone since 1990 aged just 46.. a great Southampton fan she came back from the Dell that afternoon and met us at Waterloo. We were heartbroken and speechless after the Brighton game, She could see our pain and was so lovely to us driving back to Bexhill Road and in the evening at the house. The regret and sorrow in the aftermath I will never forget.

I have soundtracks to that weekend that will mark it always. During the match Whistle Down The Wind by Nick Heyward, time ticking away in front of the Clock end as Garry Banno fires over near the end. Thinking of Mick Lyons tangled up in the penalty area in front of the North Bank to Love is a Stranger by Eurythmics. On the train coming back on the Sunday afternoon, sat on the squidgy bit that adjoined two carriages, Don't Talk To me About  Love by Altered Images. We went to the London Marathon the next day with Margaret. Had my Wednesday scarf on and always remeber Bernie Clifton in his Ostrich outfit running past but calling 'Back Luck' to us as he went.

Yep. Wish we'd won. What it is to be a Wednesdayite...

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, goldensmoke said:

Noticed the 83 Semi Final on BT Sport this week. Every night they've been working through re-runs of ITV's The Big Match from March in to April 1983. Eerie watching Brighton v Spurs 2 weeks before the Semi Final. Found myself jabbering at the TV telling Spurs players to take out Jimmy Case and MIchael Robinson...

Bit chilling to watch knowing what was coming shortly after. In 43 years of watching Wednesday, this is the game above all others I will never get over and still have dreams about to this day. Never known crushing disappointment like it.

It was such a beautiful spring day, we had the Cup Final being served up to us on a plate. I was so convinced we would win when we equalised. When Andy McCulloch headed the ball from Bannister's cross into the ground from close range with his nose, it bounced up and time stopped as Steve Foster bicycle kicked it off the line. I will wish for eternity that it had gone in.

On a beautiful spring day it still sometimes sends me back to that day. People like my Aunt Margaret who we loved so much, we spent the weekend with her family and ours in their house up on the hill in South London.  She is no longer here, been gone since 1990 aged just 46.. a great Southampton fan she came back from the Dell that afternoon and met us at Waterloo. We were heartbroken and speechless after the Brighton game, She could see our pain and was so lovely to us driving back to Bexhill Road and in the evening at the house. The regret and sorrow in the aftermath I will never forget.

I have soundtracks to that weekend that will mark it always. During the match Whistle Down The Wind by Nick Heyward, time ticking away in front of the Clock end as Garry Banno fires over near the end. Thinking of Mick Lyons tangled up in the penalty area in front of the North Bank to Love is a Stranger by Eurythmics. On the train coming back on the Sunday afternoon, sat on the squidgy bit that adjoined two carriages, Don't Talk To me About  Love by Altered Images. We went to the London Marathon the next day with Margaret. Had my Wednesday scarf on and always remeber Bernie Clifton in his Ostrich outfit running past but calling 'Back Luck' to us as he went.

Yep. Wish we'd won. What it is to be a Wednesdayite...

what a firm we had that day,all the lads who were there will remember,after up at the Brighton coaches,in London after,sleeping on the railway concourse,Smesh,Cainey,both with broken wrists that day,trying to start a train,what a day