FA Cup Semi Final v Brighton 1983

15 minutes ago, SimonJ said:

Hadn’t realised Gary Stevens was in that Brighton team - he was in Everton’s in 86 too.. 

DIfferent one - this one moved to Spurs and also won a few England caps.

Confusingly both of the Gary Stevens played for England at the same time.

• Thanks 1

Guest LittleG

Went down in a minibus; halfway down the M1 I realised I had left my ticket at home; what a plonker! Feared the worst and thought I'd be sat in a local pub whilst match on. Luckily I knew my seat reference, so went straight to ticket office at Highbury and surprisingly, without any proof of purchase etc, they issued me a new ticket within a minute or two.

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 07:24, Mr. Wednesday said:

Saw the highlights of the QF's on BT last night. I were only a toddler back then but love watching or reading about the history of football.

Brighton were fortunate to even make the SF.

Norwich had a couple of efforts cleared off the line and Brighton's late winner should've been disallowed for a pull back on a Norwich defender by Jimmy Case, who used his canny experience and finished well.

Also Big Ron's Man U left it late against Everton, with a cracking Stapleton goal but Everton's keeper played very well and on another day Everton might have stuck one or two of their decent chances away. Whereas we were fortunate Burnley missed a penalty to take it to a replay. But that's the beauty of the Cup.

It's a narrow margin between ecstasy and agony, a bit of luck can swing it either way on the day. The FA Cup will always be great to me but it seemed to mean much more back in the day, with bigger crowds and Wembley just for the Final. The wins are sweet and it was exciting following our Cup runs in the early 90s in both Cups but the losses are painful. I still hope and dream of seeing a Wednesday captain lifting the FA Cup aloft during my lifetime but modern football sadly makes it seem even more unlikely than seeing us getting back to the top flight.

Fair point although the penalty was early on (about 5 mins IIRC) and very iffy, Trevor Steven 'stumbling when he mis controlled it as he knocked it past Bolder) so justice was done.

42 minutes ago, alanharper said:

DIfferent one - this one moved to Spurs and also won a few England caps.

Confusingly both of the Gary Stevens played for England at the same time.

Thanks!! I should’ve remembered that!!! :-)