FA Cup Semi Final v Brighton 1983

At the time, I thought it had been a typical semi final.... dull uninteresting game where we hadn't played well. However, watching the highlights on YouTube (in 4 10 minute parts), it looked like a good advert for semi finals being end to end game where we played ok and on another day would have won....particularly if Courtney had given the blatant penalty early on for the pull on Banno. What was also annoying was that save by Moseley at the end. He was a very poor keeper, easily the worst in div 1 (which is why Brighton signed an ageing Joe Corrigan for the following season) and made what must have been the save of his life (by some considerable margin). Fine margins

16 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

Ive never seen the Brighton semi apart from vidioed highlights the following day in a semi sloshed haze.Great day out but a crap game,Courtney was a complete to$$pot,the foul on Bannister early on was a pen all day long,we didnt mark Case tight enough and allowed him to influence the game and the ref.

Ian Baileys injury was a major blow to our build up,and Jack fluffed his replacement.......its all water under t bridge now

The change at left back was bizarre. The midfield had been performing well as a unit so when Bailey got injured the week before at Bolton, big Jack should have replaced like for like and brought Williamson in. Instead he moved Heard back from left midfield and brought in Mirocevic. Big Jack was a very pragmatic manager and this flew in the face of that, particularly was Ante wasn't really a player that suited how we were playing 

2 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Thought there was 60,000 +

Packed on our end.

Saw Arthur Mullard outside a pub and he became a Wednesdayite..:biggrin:

Never seen the match since or even highlights

Was reyt fed up after :angry:

Arthur Mullard lived on the Caledonian Road,decent bloke and a "gooner",The local press came to my house for an interview,a Wednesday fan in Belfast was deemed good news in those dark days of "the troubles"! Awful result tho.:picnic:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bramhall Owl said:

The change at left back was bizarre. The midfield had been performing well as a unit so when Bailey got injured the week before at Bolton, big Jack should have replaced like for like and brought Williamson in. Instead he moved Heard back from left midfield and brought in Mirocevic. Big Jack was a very pragmatic manager and this flew in the face of that, particularly was Ante wasn't really a player that suited how we were playing 

Jack played in how many semi finals? Where you don't get a second on the ball...and he played Ante ? I've never understood that. Great day out though

19 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Jack played in how many semi finals? Where you don't get a second on the ball...and he played Ante ? I've never understood that. Great day out though

As a 13 year old, I think I had an Ante climax when he scored, then another anti climax at fulltime.

Our first proper Cup run for 16 years & we had made the semi's without having to play a really difficult tie. Saw the Burnley replay - I was herded into the crow's nest quadrant and missed our first goal and really wondered if this was going to be our year as Brighton were struggling in the First Division. Couldn't watch the highlights, too depressing, but saw them a couple of years ago and we never really got going. The Highbury hoodoo! The Blackhall injury was crucial to everything - we'd been playing so well. I honestly feel the way the first game at Wembley went with United having an off day that Wednesday could have won because Brighton nearly did("& Smith must score") McCullough, Bannister & co. with winners medals - now that would have been something. Always hoped I would see us win the cup a fourth time but it's been a heartbreaker for Wednesday fans since 1935.

1 hour ago, Eric Potts said:

I still remember watching Jimmy Case lining up the free kick and thinking ‘this is going in the bottom corner’. 

Unfortunately Bob Bolder was not thinking the same. 

He was because it went in the top corner. 

• Haha 3

Only memories of this game for me, got a ticket very late, Friday afternoon.

Went with Vine pub  at Mosborough with father in law, I think.

Dropped us off outside a pub in north London heaving with weds fans.

Got absolutely bolloxed.

Went down an alley on way to ground for a slash, came out lost father in law, he just Phuked off.

No mobiles then so found him again after match that I can’t remember anything about.

Then driver tells us all the coach going down west end for night, meet back at Victoria at 12.00

Didn’t have enough cash to stay night, so walked around London for 6 hours.

Came back to Victoria to see quite a few lads with black eyes and busted noses, (courtesy of Chelsea fans on the tube)

Got in at 2.30am

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dronfield Blue said:

We were outplayed though.

Nearly a disaster leaving the ground as well. Anyone remember that crush outside at the end of the game?

I don't remember one after the game but remember one when people who went for a slash at half time were trying to get back on the terrace.

Quality day out, crap result.

In the Park Hotel minibus on an M1 rammed with fans going down. Pub on Holloway next to KFC, made to climb flagpole outside boozer to tie our flag on it  " because I was in the forces " lol
Pissed as a tw@t and still can't remember the game. But can remember waving to all the coaches on Holloway that were passing. And some bloke with us, eating a full KFC bucket on his own

outside the Pub... quality day lol