FA Cup Semi Final v Brighton 1983

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Saw it on a re-run a few years back, I found it a hard watch. Call me biased but the best team didn't win. 

Never watched it back and never will, same as the Hull play off,  don't know why but guess disappointment. Funny thing is can watch the Arsenal final defeats.

6 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Can only think that the joy of beating blades at Wembley, meant more to me than beating Arsenal and winning a Cup.

That must still hurt them blades Lol

Of course it does, Gayle in tears at the end. Must have hurt, but I never felt sorry for him.

We've had our fair share of disappointment, might aswell enjoy their's.

10 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

All I can remember from that day is arriving at a boozer in Highbury before the Arse fans had even set off for Hillsborough!

I can remember going in The Arsenal Tavern before kick off, with a chorus ringing round the pub "The Wednesday hate f*ckin Arsenal" and thought, I bet this is a first for an away team!

Ive never seen the Brighton semi apart from vidioed highlights the following day in a semi sloshed haze.Great day out but a crap game,Courtney was a complete to$$pot,the foul on Bannister early on was a pen all day long,we didnt mark Case tight enough and allowed him to influence the game and the ref.

Ian Baileys injury was a major blow to our build up,and Jack fluffed his replacement.......its all water under t bridge now

I went on the coach that day, my second time via coach, the first being away at Stoke (Banksie in the net, lost that one too.) My third and last time via coach was on the euro tour to Germany, another loss put paid to further coach trips. 

Saw the highlights of the QF's on BT last night. I were only a toddler back then but love watching or reading about the history of football.

Brighton were fortunate to even make the SF.

Norwich had a couple of efforts cleared off the line and Brighton's late winner should've been disallowed for a pull back on a Norwich defender by Jimmy Case, who used his canny experience and finished well.

Also Big Ron's Man U left it late against Everton, with a cracking Stapleton goal but Everton's keeper played very well and on another day Everton might have stuck one or two of their decent chances away. Whereas we were fortunate Burnley missed a penalty to take it to a replay. But that's the beauty of the Cup.

It's a narrow margin between ecstasy and agony, a bit of luck can swing it either way on the day. The FA Cup will always be great to me but it seemed to mean much more back in the day, with bigger crowds and Wembley just for the Final. The wins are sweet and it was exciting following our Cup runs in the early 90s in both Cups but the losses are painful. I still hope and dream of seeing a Wednesday captain lifting the FA Cup aloft during my lifetime but modern football sadly makes it seem even more unlikely than seeing us getting back to the top flight.

My first induction into "the Wednesday Way", aged 11. I'd been going for 2 years at that point but that was the first time I felt really gutted and let down. Even though we were a division below we were a better team than them and really should have beat them, but just didn't perform on the day.

It's odd what little things you remember years later, we were in the side stand level with the goal at the Clock End and I can still recall that split second when Case's free kick hit the bar and bounced down thinking "that's gone over the line, I hope nobody noticed". Then later we had Mirocevic racing towards us when he scored which I'll always remember. Gave it the "you're not singing any more" to the Brighton fans behind the goal and then of course got it back when they scored the winner. Then Bannister blazed over the bar late on, Steve f__g Foster cleared off the line, and somebody (think it was Banno) took a corner and put it straight into the side netting.

Went to Villa Park in 1986 and that was different because deep down I expected to lose against a class Everton team although we gave a good account of ourselves, but in 1983 it really did feel like nothing was going to stop us getting to the final. Was absolutely delighted when Smith missed that chance in the last minute of the final and they got battered 4-0 in the replay.

• Like 1

Yep I went down for this game without a ticket ,and managed to get one outside the ground , great atmosphere . Couldn’t get back to Dewsbury so got the last train from Sheffield  to Barnsley and a taxi home from there , must have been a few doing the same as I remember the Barnsley lot coming out of the pubs and having a go at us whilst we queued . It got nasty,  as if we hadn’t suffered enough !!! . 

Edited by dewsburyowl58

. I had written to big Jack wishing the club good luck beforehand and got autographed   match programme (John Charlton) afterwards.. It had definitely been in somebody's back pocket as I remember it was well thumbed and creased.lol but I was chuffed needless to say.