van-aaken Hooper now reach Speculation

Newspapers hey, keep churning out content, even if you just have to guess,make stuff up or copy and paste other papers stories. Easiest story to write in the world. Click bait. I don't agree with Trump on anything, but the phrase Fake news feels relevant. Here's my next story about how many clubs are keeping tabs on Bannan and Matias is gaining interest from Portugal (because he's portugese you see? ask me to name 5 portugese football teams and i can't but you don't know that). Reach might be sold, but this doesn't feel like a story based on facts.

An English goal scoring midfield player who runs all day is worth far more than £10 million. He makes loads of runs and is not found as often with ball as he should be. He also closes down and puts real shift in. He was looking jaded in last match and you could see why from efforts in 4 previous games.

The article I suspect is rubbish as Villa are trying to reduce wage bill and get players out in order to fund new centre back, full back and defensive midfield player who are all said to be required. In addition Abraham is leaving to join Wolves so will be looking for centre forward. They like us have a lot of aging players on high wages and need to move them on, 

Grealish had good year last year not playing as well this and star has waned somewhat so chances of cashing him on him have reduced considerably. 

I can not see us parting with Reach as he just about been our most regular goal scorer and in a team short of goals would be daft selling main source of them. I could see us selling many of others if bids came in if we need to generate cash.for new signings.

1 hour ago, Ash76 said:

People that think we should take £10m for Reach don’t understand the game 

Perfect age, great engine, rarely injured and the ability to single handedly win games. 

Any lower than £15m would be very disappointing 

For evidence look at the fees of Josh Murphy and James Maddison 

Just now, maldino2004 said:

Yeah all of that is fine and obviously all pluses, but what about is weakness in the tackle is unwillingness to engage in 50/5’s, is ability to give the ball away quite often whilst in advanced positions. I also happen to think that is distribution is poor. 

I personally thought that last season he was beginning to look like the player that no doubt we all hoped he would be but for me this season and especially of late he has showed too many frailties to be classed as a top class Championship player. 

32 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

And anybody that thinks we are in a strong negotiating position (like Norwich were) can't read a profit and loss account.

Milan ain’t here no more mate, gone are the days of selling our best players for £2.5m

1 hour ago, Box_Man said:

I would take £10-12 million if cash was payable up front not over 2-3 years plus Hourihane coming the other way and a 20% sell on clause.

Would be great business....and if Wolves do want him stick another 5 million on.

It doesn't make the slightest difference if it's cash up front or not. I know it does to the man in the street but to football clubs FFP relates to the accounts and cash is shown as a credit but so is money receivable in the future. If a club decides to buy another player it will be done on 'easy terms' anyway. 

Other than that £10m  plus Hourihane would be a cracking deal.

Reach is a player who alot of managers will be after. Can play in several positions. doesn't get injured. runs all day. and most importantly has the talent in his left foot to score wonder goals.

No one will be getting Reach on the cheap.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SwissOwl8200 said:

I'm all for strengthening the squad but the key word is 'strengthening'.  If we sell Reach for 10 million we need someone better to replace him, say a 15 million player.  And we're going to buy that player for what 6 million?  How does that work?

If on the other hand we're still buggered due to the P&S rules, then we have to accept that we need to sell him and buy whoever we can for considerably less money.  Or buy nobody at all with the money.

Isn't that more realistic?

If we want to strengthen the squad it doesn't necessarily follow that we have to replace Reach with another player of his quality. We could for example look at our weakest positions say both full backs and a defensive midfielder* and buy up grades on all 3 positions. We are weaker by losing Reach but much stronger because we have improved 3 weak points in the team.

*(pick your own weakest players)

The argument isn't about how much Reach is worth. It's whether or not our P & S situation means we need to sell him. If it does, then don't expect Bruce to see any of the money for immediate rebuilding because we won't be able to spend again until we are off the P & S radar.

If our situation is such that we are okay with P & S then why sell at all?

3 minutes ago, prowl said:

If we want to strengthen the squad it doesn't necessarily follow that we have to replace Reach with another player of his quality. We could for example look at our weakest positions say both full backs and a defensive midfielder* and buy up grades on all 3 positions. We are weaker by losing Reach but much stronger because we have improved 3 weak points in the team.

*(pick your own weakest players)

We would lose a lot of quality yes, if we sold Reach If that helps us to better balance the midfield, then that might not be a bad thing Not making Reach a scapegoat, but clearly the blend in that department isn’t quite right

16 minutes ago, prowl said:

It doesn't make the slightest difference if it's cash up front or not. I know it does to the man in the street but to football clubs FFP relates to the accounts and cash is shown as a credit but so is money receivable in the future. If a club decides to buy another player it will be done on 'easy terms' anyway. 

Other than that £10m  plus Hourihane would be a cracking deal.

Are you sure?

10 million now in jan will fall into this years figures which would go along way to solving P&S for this year.

If we got paid over 3 years we would only be able to account for a 3rd of it this year and show a 3 million projection for next year and the year after.

We would then have to find another 7 million this year to bridge the gap with P&S for this season.