Hooper

33 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Well someone wanted Jones in the summer and we didn't proceed.

Honestly the 'cash in the chips' thematic banded around in this thread really does make me wonder.  Hooper wages probably GBP 400k between now and end of season.  This against a backdrop of annual 30m wage bill.

Yep let's save 400k vs play a player who is capable of firing us up towards play offs.  Yes his injury record isn't great, but he's our player, we know the value he brings to the team in terms of making us tick.

I'd rather sell FF his injury record not much better and he brings a lot less to team spirit - get 5m now that is cashing in some chips.  Saving 400k vs 30m is like putting a cocktail stick in one of the holes in the Titanic and praying it stays up.

Play offs :laugh: let it go. 

Hooper hasn't played in over a year, he's not going to play any time soon and if he does it'll be near the end of the season before he's anywhere match fit, that's if he doesn't break down injured again which seems far more likely than anything else.  As it stands he brings nothing to the team. His contract is then up in the summer and we'd be stupid to offer him a new one, same goes for Kieran Lee.  

It's a golden opportunity to start clearing out the pile of players ( as you rightly say, FF included ) who get paid huge wages for doing next to nothing.  We need to start rebuilding a fresh, fit and cost effective squad and Hooper isn't going to be part of that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lee A said:

Play offs :laugh: let it go. 

Hooper hasn't played in over a year, he's not going to play any time soon and if he does it'll be near the end of the season before he's anywhere match fit, that's if he doesn't break down injured again which seems far more likely than anything else.  As it stands he brings nothing to the team. His contract is then up in the summer and we'd be stupid to offer him a new one, same goes for Kieran Lee.  

It's a golden opportunity to start clearing out the pile of players ( as you rightly say, FF included ) who get paid huge wages for doing next to nothing.  We need to start rebuilding a fresh, fit and cost effective squad and Hooper isn't going to be part of that. 

Very well put and absolutely spot on.

52 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Well someone wanted Jones in the summer and we didn't proceed.

Honestly the 'cash in the chips' thematic banded around in this thread really does make me wonder.  Hooper wages probably GBP 400k between now and end of season.  This against a backdrop of annual 30m wage bill.

Yep let's save 400k vs play a player who is capable of firing us up towards play offs.  Yes his injury record isn't great, but he's our player, we know the value he brings to the team in terms of making us tick.

I'd rather sell FF his injury record not much better and he brings a lot less to team spirit - get 5m now that is cashing in some chips.  Saving 400k vs 30m is like putting a cocktail stick in one of the holes in the Titanic and praying it stays up.

What part of hooper is finished can’t you grasp . Why are so many of our fans obsessed with crocked deadwood . To win games and achieve you need players to Er well actually play . 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, james o connor said:

What part of hooper is finished can’t you grasp . Why are so many of our fans obsessed with crocked deadwood . To win games and achieve you need players to Er well actually play . 

I bet you 50 quid he scores ten between now and end of the season, but if I win you also have to run up Fargate wearing only a mankini at 10am on a Saturday morning.  Odds are heavily stacked in your favour.

Edited by DuttyTeabags
mankini

1 minute ago, DuttyTeabags said:

I bet you 50 quid he scores ten between now and end of the season, but if I win you also have to run up Fargate wearing only a mankini at 10am on a Saturday morning.  Odds are heavily stacked in your favour.

Ten for SheffieldWednesday  ? Yeah go for it I’ll have a bit of that !

Edited by james o connor

2 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

He's not fit.  Agnew has said that he's still a long way off.

Is this just wishful thinking?  Get the blinkers on and just give us your best case scenario as something that might actually happen?  Back it up with a wager as if it's fact?

I hate the internet.

25 minutes ago, wednesdaywizard said:

He's not fit.  Agnew has said that he's still a long way off.

Is this just wishful thinking?  Get the blinkers on and just give us your best case scenario as something that might actually happen?  Back it up with a wager as if it's fact?

I hate the internet.

Oh did he (Agnew), I thought GH was back in full training. I may have to rescind my offer... 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

OMG Gary Hooper is potentially the difference between top 6 and mid table he's the only player we have who can link play, keep possession 8 times out of 10 and score 1 in 3 chances. 

Cash in the chips? I'd rather keep him and hope we get 4 months of quality because from where I'm sitting Mr. 1 goal per 10 chances Fletcher is not going to score the goals we need to propel us up the table no matter how good his hold up play is. 

If we're gonna offload any fckrs this window we should be getting shut of Jones, Abdi etc. (MLS would be ideal!) and not a striker who could feasibly score ten between now and end of season... 

Feasibly score 10? The bloke can't get fit and hasn't played a game since 2017, not only that no one even knows what injury he's suffering with. As good as players like Hooper and Lee have been for us they are now draining our resources and holding us back, get rid ASAP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, james o connor said:

Ten for SheffieldWednesday  ? Yeah go for it I’ll have a bit of that !

I will take that as well at odds of two to one. If he scores 10 for us by end of season i will give you 100, if he doesnt you give me 50. Forget the mankini though. Duttyteabags, are you up for it?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Feasibly score 10? The bloke can't get fit and hasn't played a game since 2017, not only that no one even knows what injury he's suffering with. As good as players like Hooper and Lee have been for us they are now draining our resources and holding us back, get rid ASAP.

He has had Golfers elbow, Buffet eaters Jaw, Splinters in his backside, a severe case of strained Wallet and a terrible swollen bank account 

• Haha 1

I have seen people estimate Hoopers wages are £400k between now and end of the season and better to let him go now and save on that money.

Not as simple as that as I doubt any player would give up £400k especially as unlikely to ever earn big money again with his injury record.

Only way Hooper would leave now is if we paid him up the remainder or the vast majority of his contract.

10 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

OMG Gary Hooper is potentially the difference between top 6 and mid table he's the only player we have who can link play, keep possession 8 times out of 10 and score 1 in 3 chances. 

Cash in the chips? I'd rather keep him and hope we get 4 months of quality because from where I'm sitting Mr. 1 goal per 10 chances Fletcher is not going to score the goals we need to propel us up the table no matter how good his hold up play is. 

If we're gonna offload any fckrs this window we should be getting shut of Jones, Abdi etc. (MLS would be ideal!) and not a striker who could feasibly score ten between now and end of season... 

Whilst in principal I agree with you we have to look at the likleyhood of him being fit. He's not training yet and the last time he got close and started playing he broke down again. He has always broken down while he's been here and its become more and more frequent.

I know what your saying with Fletcher, Jones and Abdi but its getting some one to take them. If the Celtic rumours are true id ship fletcher off tomorrow. Jones and Abdi could go anywhere but these US teams are willing to take the gamble on Hooper and if we can benefit from that then we have to take it.

There is a rumour of Nuhiu to Barnsley which is probably noise but again if this is true act on it. Get as many out as we can

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I have seen people estimate Hoopers wages are £400k between now and end of the season and better to let him go now and save on that money.

Not as simple as that as I doubt any player would give up £400k especially as unlikely to ever earn big money again with his injury record.

Only way Hooper would leave now is if we paid him up the remainder or the vast majority of his contract.

I bet it's nearly double that. He's probably on around £30k pw which for 6 months is £780k. There's no way he's on as little as £15k pw

Agree he's not going to walk away from that without another club matching it, which is why hopefully these MLS rumours are true and they're willing to take a chance on his fitness and take him off our hands this month. It's a real shame to lose a player of his quality but we can't keep paying him that amount in the vain hope that he comes back and bags some goals before the end of the season. He's still miles off and even then it'd take him weeks to get match fit.

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 06:24, Lythamowl said:

which team?

Miami crocs

pittsburg limpers?

Ouch...   Just spoke to my Vancouver Whitecaps "insider" ... might be making an appearance with the Whitecaps... only fear is we play on turf... and Hooper may find the artificial turf hard to deal with..  Besides that... I would take him as part of our rebuild...

4 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Hooper and Rooney up front for DC United ..

GOALS

Hoping he makes the move to Vancouver...  (I might be a bit biased though)...   Plus Rooney is "bad news" - drunk and disorderly at DC airport yesterday which resulted in a $25 (ouch) fine... lol