Wednesday vs Non-League Posh 1960

14 hours ago, Alfie Tupper said:

Thanks so much for posting that Dunsby - I was born the day after.  I wonder if me dad went (almost certainly did!).

Wonder if he would have left with 10 minutes to go at 0-0 if a message had come over the tannoy that his wife had gone into labour??? ;-)

On 07/01/2019 at 14:01, dunsbyowl said:

1008863773_ScannedDocument90.thumb.jpg.f63e7d70c24099900a22726922dc00be.jpg

No slip-ups for #swfc against non-league opposition way back in January 1960. Wednesday beat @theposhofficial 2-0 in front of 
51,114  at Hillsborough on the way to the Semi Final -  Goals Bobby Craig 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4vX9nQiUBY

How much was it to sponsor the South Stand in those days?

2 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

Wonder if he would have left with 10 minutes to go at 0-0 if a message had come over the tannoy that his wife had gone into labour??? ;-)

People would have felt sorry for him, having to watch Wednesday and then go home and make his own tea...

3 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

If he'd been like any of our family - male line - he'd have shrugged and said something on the line of 'plenty of time to watch end of match'.

Neither my Dad nor I have ever come out before the final whistle. Have felt like it many times, but NEVER done it.

On 07/01/2019 at 16:58, Rogers said:

Did anyone notice we got a mentioned yesterday as the last top flight team Newport beat in the FA Cup. 

Newport County 3-2 Sheffield Wednesday 

Third Round: Saturday January 4th 1964

Attendance: 8,928          

Scorers: {County} Joe Bonson {2}, Ralph Hunt: {Wednesday} Eddie Holliday, Alan Finney   

Ranked at the time: 22 

County: 1:Len Weare, 2:Johnny Bird, 3:George Walters, 4:John Rowland, 5:Graham Rathbone, 6:Len Hill, 7:Colin Webster, 8:Laurie Sheffield, 9:Joe Bonson, 10:Ralph Hunt, 11:Granville Smith. Manager:Billy Lucas

Wednesday: 1:Roy MacLaren, 2:Brian Hill, 3:Don Megson, 4:Tom McAnearney, 5:Peter Swan, 6:Gerry Young, 7:Alan Finney, 8:Colin Dobson, 9:David 'Bronco' Layne, 10:Mark Pearson, 11:Eddie Holliday. Manager:Vic Buckingham

Ralph Hunt died later that year in a car crash while returning from watching Peterborough who were Chesterfields next oppononts.  His goalscoring record in the lower leagues was remarkable, but he's only jsut joined Chesterfield at the time.